2009 Spring Game

edinafan84

Reaction score
Anyone know if the New Stadium will be open in time for the 2009 Spring Game?

There's no way the turf would be ready by late april. I'd rather they had it at Bierman than at the pukehole or on the pavement where the band practices.

There's no way the turf would be ready by late april. I'd rather they had it at Bierman than at the pukehole or on the pavement where the band practices.

It is not going to be a grass field. They are using field turf like what they play on in the dome.

Almost 100% sure that the spring game will NOT be at TCF. Hopefully not at the Dome though either.

The spring game will not be held at TCF for the same reasons they aren't letting season ticket holders in for 2009 seat selection. I believe it has to do with insurance and the stadium still being "under construction" in the spring.

I hope it's not at the Metrodome. It would be quite anti-climactic, coming back to the dome one final time. I would prefer it not to be at the practice facility, it's hard to see anything there. I would prefer to hold the spring game at an outdoor stadium in the area. Concordia St. Paul has a capacity of 6,000. If we wanted to take the game on the road to outstate Minnesota, there's Carleton at 7,500, Concordia Moorhead at 7,000, St. Johns at 7,000 and Mankato at 7,000. It would be crowded, but it would be a great atmosphere for a spring game. If we took the game on the road, it would be a great way to promote the program to the rest of the state.

Maybe the new stadium at Gustavus. One new stadium leading to another.

That's why i used the term turf and not grass. They won't have it placed yet.

My bad, it was just the way is was written. A grass field is still often referred to as turf so I thought you were thinking the grass couldn't grow quickly enough in the spring. I could be wrong but I wouldn't think it would take more than a day or two to lay the field turf which they could probably start doing in April when the snow melts.

I hope it's not at the Metrodome. It would be quite anti-climactic, coming back to the dome one final time. I would prefer it not to be at the practice facility, it's hard to see anything there. I would prefer to hold the spring game at an outdoor stadium in the area. Concordia St. Paul has a capacity of 6,000. If we wanted to take the game on the road to outstate Minnesota, there's Carleton at 7,500, Concordia Moorhead at 7,000, St. Johns at 7,000 and Mankato at 7,000. It would be crowded, but it would be a great atmosphere for a spring game. If we took the game on the road, it would be a great way to promote the program to the rest of the state.

St. Thomas has a great stadium in the cities too. Otherwise Duluth or St. Cloud probably make more sense than the MIAC schools. You could even do it at EP's high school field. That has to seat 5000 or so and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt with recruiting at one of the better programs in the state.

I would definitely drive to St. Cloud or Mankato to watch the spring game but I'm guessing a lot of locals wouldn't.

I've always been in favor of having the Spring Game away from the TC's. Brewster choose to practice at St. Johns. Would be good PR and a chance for others to attend. The TC fans can drive for once.

cannot

Play or practice at a high school....NCAA rule. What about the soccer field?

St. Cloud would be cool. I haven't been there in about 20 years. What does that old stadium seat?

The U's website says that Bierman Field can seat up to 12,000 with the use of portable bleachers. That's bigger than any field in the state (without temporary seating added).

I'm not sure if it can still host football games, however.

While I was a student at St. John's, the largest crowd we ever had was about 13,500 when John Gagliardi went for his 409th win to have the most wins in College Football.

Considering Brewster has used the facilities in the past, it may make sense to hold the spring game there and draw in more out state fans to see Gopher football. Never hurts to recruit big farm kids to play offensive line.

scsu?

St. Cloud would be cool. I haven't been there in about 20 years. What does that old stadium seat?
are you talking about husky stadium? because it is nothing more than a glorified high school stadium. it was actually renovated recently, but even though i don't know the exact #s i seriously doubt it can hold anywhere near 10,000. st johns would be a much better option for seating, but it is out in the middle of nowhere, which would make casual gopher fans even less likely to be there.
although i did make it by SJU when they had camp a few years back, and it seemed like there were a good amount of people there.

Top Bottom