Gopher Q&A: Malik Smith Talks Richard Pitino The Comedian, Mo Walker and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gopher Q&A: Malik Smith Talks Richard Pitino The Comedian, Mo Walker and More
By Nadine Babu

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/271365?referrer_id=388419

Gopher fans are curious to see what type of coach Richard Pitino is. They are eager to see his on-court demeanor, his handling of officials and his ability to make in-game adjustments. No one is better to share first hand knowledge of him than one of the newest Gophers, Malik Smith. Smith followed Pitino to Minnesota from Florida International and GopherHole's Nadine Babu caught up with him on Tuesday. Smith said that Richard Pitino is demanding, but has a playful side.

GH: What advice are you giving your teammates about his style?
MS: They pretty much know. They know we'll play a fast paced style. He expects us to play hard every play and to play a lot of defense.

GH: How is the transition from FIU to Minnesota going? What are the biggest differences?
MS: Right now I can't tell, but I can tell you during the winter it will be the weather!

GH: How do the facilities at Minnesota compare to FIU?
MS: Everything is bigger here. The campus, the facilities. I love it up here.

GH: Do you love it enough to get your former teammate Rakeem Buckles to join you?
MS: (Laughing). No comment.

GH: How do you think your game will transition to the Big Ten?
MS: I think if I work hard everything should work out.

GH: What would Gopher fans be surprised to know about Coach Pitino on or off the court?
MS: That's a tough one. They'd probably be surprised to know that he could be a comedian if he wanted to be a comedian. He's that naturally funny.

GH: What's the latest on the NCAA decision about your eligibility?
MS: Everything is submitted and we're just waiting.

GH: Any surprises about the University or the team?
MS: Not really, I'm just really glad that everyone on the team gets along so well.

GH: Who will surprise fans the most on the team?
MS: I think I'd have to say Mo. He's put a lot of work in. He's looking real good.

Thanks Nadine! I think Smith will emerge as a quick leader on this team, if for no other reason than his comfort level with Pitino and the system.

Here is a Pioneer Press article today on Smith as well:

Gophers basketball: Malik Smith has inside scoop on Richard Pitino

"I'm just trying to teach everybody where they should be on the court. It's going along pretty good," he said. "It just comes along with playing in the system for a year, and already knowing what (Pitino) expects."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23672832/gophers-basketball-malik-smith-has-inside-scoop-richard

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Nadine! I think Smith will emerge as a quick leader on this team, if for no other reason than his comfort level with Pitino and the system.

Here is a Pioneer Press article today on Smith as well:

Gophers basketball: Malik Smith has inside scoop on Richard Pitino

"I'm just trying to teach everybody where they should be on the court. It's going along pretty good," he said. "It just comes along with playing in the system for a year, and already knowing what (Pitino) expects."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23672832/gophers-basketball-malik-smith-has-inside-scoop-richard

Go Gophers!!

I agree - he just had this certain confidence about him. I know it's early, and not in-season...but we could certainly use more confidence on this team.

Top Bottom