Pitino notes: Mo best passer, Buggs most upside, and more tidbits...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Please excuse my notes, I don't have my computer, so these are being posted from my phone. Lots of honest answers from Pitino:

The goal today is to see how they communicate with each other, we're sure it's going to be a disaster.

We are going to play 8 minute halves, I want to see if anyone separates themselves as leaders.

Malik smith is the only one that knows how to play for me

Adversity hasn't hit these guys, they aren't going to class yet.

Malik will give you a feel for what kind of coach I am.

We have had 5 practices, going up and down as much as possible. Getting them to play through mistakes.

Mo Walker- He's lost 45-50 lbs, he deserves the credit, I have him the ultimatum and he did it.

I don't think Mo Walker could play in any system at that weight, not just mine.

On eligibility- Hopefully we'll know Malik soon, Joey...I don't think we've filed that yet.

I told Mo you need to lose weight or you won't play.

Mo walker is probably my the best passer on the team, that surprised me.

We've got a scholarship available, recruiting is the key to turn this thing around.

Austin is more a leader by example, he does everything the right way on and off the court.

Malik could be that rah rah kind of guy.

Austin is a really good player, we are gonna to rely on him a lot.

Starting point guard is open for competition, I'd be shocked if Andre doesn't start though

The biggest surprise is the amount of fan interest here in Minnesota.

We are going to try to get the chemistry accomplished, and the way you are going to run things

Charles Buggs will do things where you say he has pro potential, or what is he doing? He has the most upside. He's pur on 16-17 pounds this year.

I've never heard of a scholarship athlete go abroad. You walk into Csom and Andre has his picture on the wall

On being so Honest- its the way I was raised, what I learned under my father and billy Donovan

Recruiting -it's been good, a lot of the situations are, we have been great

I won't pick a starting 5 today.

"Austin is more a leader by example, he does everything the right way on and off the court."

I love Austin Hollins.

I'm guessing that puts Buggs around 206-207 pounds. Nice to hear he finally found that good Norwegian food.

"Charles Buggs will do things where you say he has pro potential, or what is he doing? He has the most upside. He's pur on 16-17 pounds this year".

Buggs is going to be a stud!!!

Interesting that he has Andre at PG and not SG. I realize that could be semantics, but interesting regardless.

Thanks for the recap GopherLady.

STrib: Gophers have first scrimmage of the summer; news and notes from access

A few nuggets:

Maverick Ahanmisi seems to be really excelling in Pitino’s system and demonstrated some nice moves to the basket and some good shooting on Tuesday. Pitino said in his first Gophers blog that the senior has the potential to be one of the leaders. “This is the kind of style I play – this is what I played in high school. So this is what I learned throughout four years then and back in the day so this is what I’m accustomed to, and I think it’s just the style of play that suits me.”

Besides the system being totally different, Pitino’s demeanor, media presence and team presence could not be much more distinct from that of former coach Tubby Smith. For starters, he seems to be very blunt with his players when it comes to improving. Is that one of the values he consciously coaches by? “Yeah, that’s kind of the way that I was raised, and that’s kind of the way I learned under my father, under Billy Donovan,” Pitino said. “We’re not going to play a whole lot of games. We’re going to keep it pretty simple and just tell them how we feel. And sometimes I’ll be all right, and a lot of times I’ll be wrong, and that’s just the way it is.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/215767721.html

Go Gophers!!

I'm guessing that puts Buggs around 206-207 pounds. Nice to hear he finally found that good Norwegian food.

He said he was at 213, 214 right now.

Interesting that he has Andre at PG and not SG. I realize that could be semantics, but interesting regardless.

Thanks for the recap GopherLady.

You're welcome. I believe the question asked was if Andre would be the starting PG. He replied that it's up for grabs, but he probably would be starting (meaning that SG is a definite option).

He said he was at 213, 214 right now.

You're welcome. I believe the question asked was if Andre would be the starting PG. He replied that it's up for grabs, but he probably would be starting (meaning that SG is a definite option).

Still disturbing to me how you can get all that on your phone that fast, Nadine. Yikes....

Still disturbing to me how you can get all that on your phone that fast, Nadine. Yikes....

Imagine how fast I am with my computer! When I'm typing, Sid stares at me like "what is that black box you're pounding on?" :)

Top Bottom