All Things Summer Updates On Current Players

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Breaking news: EE can now dunk.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Elliott Eliason with a dunk off a back door cut and pass from McNeil.</p>— Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) <a href="https://twitter.com/collegebbnews/statuses/357252027237146624">July 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Watching the Minnesota Gopher basketball team scrimmage. Joey King is wearing #50, Malik Smith #23,</p>— Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) <a href="https://twitter.com/collegebbnews/statuses/357250408667815937">July 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Daquein McNeil is wearing #0. Joey King has hit two threes</p>— Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) <a href="https://twitter.com/collegebbnews/statuses/357250870611689472">July 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> maroon team in the scrimmage to start was Dre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Malik Smith, Joey King and Elliott Eliason. Hmm. Starters?</p>— PiPress Gophers Now (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/357253128711708672">July 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Malik is cleared!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Man this has been a great day for me and my family. Just got my NCAA waiver to play immediately God is good!</p>— Malik Smith (@leeksmith30) <a href="https://twitter.com/leeksmith30/statuses/357585632001925122">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

Malik is cleared!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Man this has been a great day for me and my family. Just got my NCAA waiver to play immediately God is good!</p>— Malik Smith (@leeksmith30) <a href="https://twitter.com/leeksmith30/statuses/357585632001925122">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

Nice!

Nice practice gym. Amazing how fast one of those can go up. :rolleyes:

Haha every time I see videos of the team working out there I wonder why the hell Tubby didn't use that space at all. Was he afraid that if he did Maturi would think he didn't need a practice facility? Really bizarre. Seems like a pretty nice alternative to Williams for the time being.

Haha every time I see videos of the team working out there I wonder why the hell Tubby didn't use that space at all. Was he afraid that if he did Maturi would think he didn't need a practice facility? Really bizarre. Seems like a pretty nice alternative to Williams for the time being.

Pollyanna, did you forget you told us that's where you and the girls used to practice? Remember you told us back in 2009 you practiced there? Also, can anyone forget when Coach P. had just got here and the intermural crowd e-mailed him to use Williams Arena during regularly scheduled practice time? I think it's a death defying leap for anyone to think Orlando refused to use the gyms right outside his office.

Nice practice gym. Amazing how fast one of those can go up. :rolleyes:

That is nice, years ago I am pretty sure it used to be artificial floor and not wood, doesn't have all the amenities but should do in a crunch, Bierman is reserved for the athletics department isn't it.

Mostly I'm getting sick and F-ing tired of walking on eggshells for fear of offending the Tubbyites yet again.

I'm getting sick and F-ing tired of Tubby getting ripped by guys like you in just about every thread. As some Gopherholers say....he's gone move on!

...and who get offended when you even talk about offending them. Just sick and tired of not feeling like I can speak my mind on a conversation board that exists to allow people to speak their mind. Is there another bleeping place where the exchange of ideas is allowed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z71TnRNawwQ&feature=youtu.be

Good video of King, Mcniel, and Smith talking about summer practice and Pitino.

Very upbeat attitudes. The more that I see of and hear from Joey King the more impressed I am. Gotta beleive that he is a gem of a get. At first, reading an interview of him, I had the impression that he was an arogant hot shot with no cred. He has flipped my opinion of that. I suspect that we'll see some really good contributions from him. :D

Is there anyone now that still doubts Pitino since they first hired him?

I think there are plenty of folks who are being very cautious, as the U has already been burned by a smooth-talking coach with little experience. With that said, trying to compare basketball to football is absurd.

99 and 44/100 percent of Gopher fans doubt anyone's abilities to achieve success over their own abilities.

It seems to me that gopherholers collectively expend a lot of mental energy over the hiring of Richard Pitino.

IT'S DONE!!

Sounds like the best lineup to me. What are the odds King actually gets to play this year? Haven't gotten a great sense of that.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> maroon team in the scrimmage to start was Dre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Malik Smith, Joey King and Elliott Eliason. Hmm. Starters?</p>— PiPress Gophers Now (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/357253128711708672">July 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Sounds like the best lineup to me. What are the odds King actually gets to play this year? Haven't gotten a great sense of that.

I still do NOT understand the importance of the word "Starter".

per Shooter:

New Gophers basketball wing Malik Smith clearly is an upgrade over Joe Coleman, who left for St. Mary's in California.

Wow, what a cheap shot. And based on what?

The Gopher/Coleman connection has been a good one for fans. He will be much more prodcutive in NCAA BB than Smith next year when Smith is out of the game.

Hoping Joe smacks it at St. Mary's.
They sure have his uncle transfers out and now Joe. Dan had an OK career. I think Joe will be lucky to average double figures at a mid major. He's a tweener who didn't want to be here. Could care less how he does at St Marys.

They sure have his uncle transfers out and now Joe. Dan had an OK career. I think Joe will be lucky to average double figures at a mid major. He's a tweener who didn't want to be here. Could care less how he does at St Marys.

He almost averaged double figures here....

Very upbeat attitudes. The more that I see of and hear from Joey King the more impressed I am. Gotta beleive that he is a gem of a get. At first, reading an interview of him, I had the impression that he was an arogant hot shot with no cred. He has flipped my opinion of that. I suspect that we'll see some really good contributions from him. :D
I'm a little late with this response, but I thought I could add a little insight towards Joey King. I watched a number of Drake games last year and King was a nice offensive weapon off the bench for the Bulldogs. Speaking with a few people in Des Moines, they did refer to him being a "me first" type of player, but they certainly were a bit disappointed that he left the University. As for my thoughts, he doesn't have a great basketball IQ just yet. He commonly gets into foul trouble and he always seemed out of position defensively. Of course, part of that is coaching. Drake has since fired Mark Phelps, so he definitely didn't help Joey's cause as a Freshman. My biggest concern will be him trying to defend the more athletic 3's and 4's in the Big Ten.

He definitely has the ability to light it up from 3, so maybe Pitino's style will pay huge dividends for him. I'm hoping he is a great addition, but I think he has alot of work ahead of him to be a decent player in the conference.

I'm a little late with this response, but I thought I could add a little insight towards Joey King. I watched a number of Drake games last year and King was a nice offensive weapon off the bench for the Bulldogs. Speaking with a few people in Des Moines, they did refer to him being a "me first" type of player, but they certainly were a bit disappointed that he left the University. As for my thoughts, he doesn't have a great basketball IQ just yet. He commonly gets into foul trouble and he always seemed out of position defensively. Of course, part of that is coaching. Drake has since fired Mark Phelps, so he definitely didn't help Joey's cause as a Freshman. My biggest concern will be him trying to defend the more athletic 3's and 4's in the Big Ten.

He definitely has the ability to light it up from 3, so maybe Pitino's style will pay huge dividends for him. I'm hoping he is a great addition, but I think he has alot of work ahead of him to be a decent player in the conference.

Being out of position defensively concerns me, the other things not so much. We were in a tough position at the 4, and I think King walked into a good situation. IIRC he played 19 minutes per game last year. I have always respected the MVC, but regardless of where he went, he's more ready to play than a BIG sophomore who barely got off the bench. The big leap is generally between the freshman and sophomore year. Once they roll the balls out we'll all know more, but I like his chances.

Top Bottom