Richard Pitino Legacy Thread

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
I started a similar thread about coach Kill when he signed here, so I wanna do this on the BB side too.

I want you to tell me today what you think Pitino's ultimate legacy will be.

This way we'll forever be able to laud the prescient and ridicule the fools.

You choices:

A - Pitino is the right choice, and he will ultimately lead us to the Final Four or National Championship. His tenure is long and glorious.
B - Pitino will get us into the upper reaches of the B10, but not get us over the hump.
C - Pitino goes totally in the middle of the road, NCAA tourney every year, but unsatisfactory results.
D - Pitino is over his head and quickly disappoints and is released, and richmondinsider is back as a must read. #roaddogs
E - Pitino has great early success and turns that into a springboard to a new job.

I'll go first. I'm buying it, I'm picking A

A, I think the recruiting will continue to be at a high level, and he seems to really like it here. Once he has his players in his system, sky is the limit.

I'm picking A because it's more fun to be an optimist and be wrong than a pessimist and be right.

Go Gophers!!

E I think he will show he can recruit. His overall coaching is still a question mark but I believe he will win here.

lousiville fans assume he will be Pitino's replacement and he will take a better job if he has any success

G. He'll take a 3-hour tour and be lost for 20 years with six other castaways. Ah, what could have been.

I could also see him leaving us for Louisville

This, to me, would probably be "good" news in that Pitino Sr. is likely to be around for 4-8 more years (according to his contract and how he's "only" 60), so if Pitino is successful enough for a school like Louisville to come calling, things will be good around here. It would hurt to lose him, obviously, but it would mean that things here have gone well because a school like Louisville wouldn't hire him just because.

Also, C to me would not be "middle of the road"

I would guess E. Hopefully Norwood can harness the full beauty and potential which is the University of Minnesota in support of our basketball program. If so, I see B. I don't need a final four to consider that as success.

NCAA tourney EVERY year is pretty damn good for a C. Too early to say he is a killer recruiter... wait til brings in some hi end talent. Give him a pass for 2013 marginal group

NCAA tourney EVERY year is pretty damn good for a C. Too early to say he is a killer recruiter... wait til brings in some hi end talent. Give him a pass for 2013 marginal group

Umm, dude, he isn't giving out grade options, he is using the alphabet starting with A and onward to distinguish the choice options.

I say it's E. Early success and then he bolts for a blue blood.

Umm, dude, he isn't giving out grade options, he is using the alphabet starting with A and onward to distinguish the choice options.

I used to always get E's on my papers.

I say A and I don't think he'd want to coach Louisville cuz he'd want his own program, not his Dad's

There's no way of knowing, but it's nice to imagine that the right person could build a strong enough program that they don't have to leave for a better gig - they've built a better gig.

Another way to look at it: if Richard has similar success and stays around home as long as Teague's last hire, we'll be doing fine.

I would be fine with C because it doesn't say which round we will exit each season. If Pitino lands the type of players he is recruiting on a year end basis, we're in for some good times. I also don't think he would want the Louisville job, or any job his dad has had. I fear in a few years when Alford flames out UCLA might come knocking. If Richard is successful here he seems like the type of guy who would embrace that type of challenge.

I'm guessing a variation of E. i don't expect great early success before jetting to a Pac-12 job, but he's gone within 5 years. Let's just hope we see a Sweet 16 during his tenure.

I'm guessing a variation of E. i don't expect great early success before jetting to a Pac-12 job, but he's gone within 5 years. Let's just hope we see a Sweet 16 during his tenure.

Right now Pitino has 23 mostly 4* and 5* players interested in playing here. If he ends up being able to close the deal with 4 of these guys this may be the start of making this place have a whole different identity. Folks - this is one of the great places in the world to live. Yeah- the winter weather is bad, but everything else other than the tax rate, is pretty terrific. If he can make this a cool place to be by winning big and he finds that he can recruit to this University, then there is no reason he wouldn't stay a long time. A winning basketball program here would be the talk of this town. I've seen it before.

My prediction is E unless Norwood can accelerate the basketball program enhancements (practice facility, Williams arena improvements, etc.).

I say A and I don't think he'd want to coach Louisville cuz he'd want his own program, not his Dad's

I'm going with A too because I want to believe. Lol. However, I've thought Kentucky would be more likely to lure young Mr. Pitino because his Father coached them to a championship during Richard's formative years.

Top Bottom