Ja’Quan Newton says Pitino told him he's "the No. 1 point guard on his list"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Ja’Quan Newton says Pitino told him he's "the No. 1 point guard on his list"

in a STrib Q&A:

When did Pitino first contact you and what did he have to say? After NBA camp. I had a good NBA camp and then I got a call from Minnesota. They said they want me in their program, they want me to be their guy. … He just told me that I’m the guy he wants, I’m his No. 1 target, the No. 1 point guard on his list and he wants me to come there and run the show.

There are a bunch of rumors about you and Isaiah ganging up and heading to the same college? Is that real? We’re thinking about it right now. We’re just thinking. We might go there, we might not. And if it happens that we go there, we go there.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/215703041.html

Go Gophers!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tyus Jones a PG? Lol

Maybe the kid thinks he is better than Tyus, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is?

I agree. I like that Pitino isn't putting all his eggs in the Tyus basket. Seems he realizes he can't just recruit one person.

Maybe the kid thinks he is better than Tyus, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is?

On his twitter account he did some of those "ask me" things. People asked if he thought he was better than tyus twice, both times he answered with an emphatic yes. Confident kid

Love it. He's my #1 preferred PG too, mostly because we'd have a great shot at Whitehead too. Newton also seems to be playing better and better which is encouraging.

Love it. He's my #1 preferred PG too, mostly because we'd have a great shot at Whitehead too. Newton also seems to be playing better and better which is encouraging.

Out of all of the even remotely possible recruiting events that could occur this year, a Newton/Whitehead package is #1 on my list.

Out of all of the even remotely possible recruiting events that could occur this year, a Newton/Whitehead package is #1 on my list.

This past week when there was a scheduling conflict at the Peach Jam - they couldn't make his game and attended Reid Travis' game instead. My guess is that they told him- "We won't be able to see you this game- rest assured you are our number one guy- we think you are the best PG in the county. We don't need to see you again to know that. We want you. We will be one court over trying to get you a great power forward to play with."

I love this action!

Man, I gotta disagree. In terms of what package I want, it's gotta be the Vaughn/Perkins combo (Vaughn's an instate guy, and I'm a bit of a homer). In terms of likelihood, I have no clue. But it sounds like a Vaughn commitment won't come until spring, so if we get the chance on Newton/Whitehead we gotta take it. Both of these guys can ball.

Edit: Names are tough

Man, I gotta disagree. In terms of what package I want, it's gotta be the Vaughn/Newton combo (Vaughn's an instate guy, and I'm a bit of a homer). In terms of likelihood, I have no clue. But it sounds like a Vaughn commitment won't come until spring, so if we get the chance on Newton/Whitehead we gotta take it. Both of these guys can ball.

Have to disagree. I want the Whitehead/Newton/Vaughn/Perkins/Travis combo with a 4 star center for defense and rebounding. That sounds like a good class to me...

Have to disagree. I want the Whitehead/Newton/Vaughn/Perkins/Travis combo with a 4 star center for defense and rebounding. That sounds like a good class to me...

I've changed my mind and agree with you. If that happens, I will donate $500 at least to the facilities project.

Tyus would say, it's been hard for them, they are my homestate school, blah,blah,blah. Good to read about kids that have an actually interest in being part of the Pitino era.

The other good thing about Newton/Whitehead package is that Newton has played with Reid before and I think he even mentioned that he's talked to him about playing together. Hopefully we can get a Newton/Whitehead/Travis package.

This would be a great 10 man rotation in 2014...

Newton, Dre, Whitehead, Reid, EE
Mathieu, Wally, JP, Buggs, Mo

You'd also have King as a situational 3 pt shooter and McNeil as a wildcard that could help in the back court.

In terms of future recruiting, I would prefer the Newton/Whitehead package over the Vaughn/Perkins package. Snatching two kids from the NE would really open a lot of eyes and create a buzz. I live in Philly and Newton is a big deal out here. If these two set the precedent it could really open the floodgates of talent from the NE.

It would be perfect if rashad decided not to play with Perkins and commits here, then we get newton, whitehead, and Travis

prefer he would say the gophs are first on his list. Maybe Pitino wants Tyus to hold off committing to the U until his number one guy Newton decides

my number 1 package would be tyus, jahlil, justice winslow and kevin looney, all jokes aside i would be thrilled with a class of newton, whitehead, reid and macura and a 2015 class of jarvis, henry ellenson and alex illikainen

my number 1 package would be tyus, jahlil, justice winslow and kevin looney, all jokes aside i would be thrilled with a class of newton, whitehead, reid and macura and a 2015 class of jarvis, henry ellenson and alex illikainen

Honest to goodness, that would be a national title contender. Presumably, that's what Richard's telling them.

With all of these comments, it seems Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke have nothing on us now. ;)

Top Bottom