Josh Perkins and Vaughn Package

bruster

Reaction score
“We wanted to go to the same high school but it didn’t work out so now we’re planning to play in the same college,” Perkins told SNY.tv at the Reebok Classic Breakout, which is in full swing this week.

Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Minnesota and UCLA are the schools on both players' lists. Vaughn has been heavily targeted by North Carolina while the Tar Heels are not in the mix for Perkins. Perkins has stated he's waiting on an offer from Kentucky and it seems likely that is his first choice. Both players have already visited UCLA and both have good things to say about Minnesota and new coach Richard Pitino, especially Vaughn, who is from Minnesota.

“We wanted to go to the same high school but it didn’t work out so now we’re planning to play in the same college,” Perkins told SNY.tv at the Reebok Classic Breakout, which is in full swing this week.

Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Minnesota and UCLA are the schools on both players' lists. Vaughn has been heavily targeted by North Carolina while the Tar Heels are not in the mix for Perkins. Perkins has stated he's waiting on an offer from Kentucky and it seems likely that is his first choice. Both players have already visited UCLA and both have good things to say about Minnesota and new coach Richard Pitino, especially Vaughn, who is from Minnesota.

The way Kentucky has been after Jones this might be good news for us. Perkins won't want to play behind anyone, and Vaughn won't want to play with Jones. Kentucky being in the mix for both could actually be a good thing for the Gophers.

Edit: Names are tough

I like our chances with Vaughn more than when Tubby was here.

If Vaughn & Perkins or a package deal, then we can't take all four of Vaughn, Newton, Whitehead, Perkins. Can't take 4 guards with your 4 available scholarships. Is it a first come first served deal? Whichever package commits first, then the other is out of luck? How can you do that, when one of the packages contains the 2nd highest MN Rated player of all time?

How can you do that, when one of the packages contains the 2nd highest MN Rated player of all time?

How can you not do it? If a top 20 shooting guard and a top 40 point guard want to go to your school and you are not a blue blood, you say yes.

How can you not do it? If a top 20 shooting guard and a top 40 point guard want to go to your school and you are not a blue blood, you say yes.

Yep. If Vaughn is serious about playing with Perkins at Minnesota, that is something he has to consider. The longer he waits, the more he risks Newton and Whitehead taking his and Perkins' spots. Minnesota is in a pretty good position if these two duos are seriously considering the U. I'd be ABSOLUTELY thrilled with either one. Definitely first come first served.

Which package would be better: Newton-Whitehead or Perkins-Vaughn? Which duo is more talented? Which duo compliments each other better? Which duo would work better in the system we have yet to see?

Which package would be better: Newton-Whitehead or Perkins-Vaughn? Which duo is more talented? Which duo compliments each other better? Which duo would work better in the system we have yet to see?

Just going by ratings from 247: Vaughn/Perkins would be the #2 SG and #6 PG. Whitehead/Newton would be #4 SG and #9 PG. So by that it would be Vaugh/Perkins. But from what I have heard, Newton's stock is really rising. I think we would do just fine with either.

Rank-wise it's the Vaughn Perkins combo (#7 and #28 nationally per rivals). But either package would be phenomenal. Whitehead and Newton are #17 and #41 nationally.

I'll say Perkins and Vaughn. Vaughn is the highest rated player of all 4 of them, and is a lethal scorer. Perkins might be the best passer in the class, so that'd be a great combo. I don't know enough about Whitehead and Newton to say they wouldn't be great to have, but I'll choose the best player and another one who seems to compliment him very well.

So is Perkins saying that as soon as Kentucky offers him they have a new favorite? Hopefully Pitino convince them that they will be nba draft picks and legends at Minnesota vs just draft picks at kentucky.

This is where Tyus can really end up helping shape our 2014 recruiting class, by committing to Kentucky. He does that, and Minnesota seems to be thee/a primary option for the package duo of Rashad and Perkins.

So is Perkins saying that as soon as Kentucky offers him they have a new favorite? Hopefully Pitino convince them that they will be nba draft picks and legends at Minnesota vs just draft picks at kentucky.

That just doesn't seem like a chip that convinces out of state talent to go to a particular program. In Vaughn's case, I bet he isn't considering "being a draft pick and Gopher legend vs just draft pick at Kentucky" as any sort of criteria. Seems like he's trying to find a school that will push his draft stock as high as possible and as soon as possible, regardless of where.

This is where Tyus can really end up helping shape our 2014 recruiting class, by committing to Kentucky. He does that, and Minnesota seems to be thee/a primary option for the package duo of Rashad and Perkins.

Tyus won't, but Emmanuel Mudiay very well might. He's right there with Tyus as the top PG in this class and is leaning towards Kentucky. Probably why they haven't offered Perkins yet.

I don't think we can say at this point who will be better. Rankings don't neccessaraly indicate who will be the best college players. Who's a better college player, universally ranked top 2 Shabazz Muhammed, or #100-whatever Andre Hollins? Different classes, but you get the point principle.

I'd be thrilled with any of these players comming to the U. If we have a chance to land Whitehead and Newton but we have to slam the door or Vaughn in the process, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I don't think we can say at this point who will be better. Rankings don't neccessaraly indicate who will be the best college players. Who's a better college player, universally ranked top 2 Shabazz Muhammed, or #100-whatever Andre Hollins? Different classes, but you get the point principle.

I'd be thrilled with any of these players comming to the U. If we have a chance to land Whitehead and Newton but we have to slam the door or Vaughn in the process, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Absolutely.....you could never roll the dice that way by closing the door on Whitehead and Newton in hopes of landing Vaughn later.

Would it be fair to say that the domino's will fall once Mudley commits, given the rationale earlier in this thread? If so, has he given any indication of when he would commit? If Mudlay goes to Kentucky and Tyus/Okafor go to Duke, then that opens up the door to Vaughn/Perkins? Would Vaughn stick to the package deal if Perkins wasn't offered by Kentucky? Or could Vaughn potentially go to Kentucky alone? I haven't read the same sort of conviction in their "package deal" as Tyus/Okafor.

Whoever commits first is who I want. Whether it's Whithead's possey or Vaughn's club.

I think either pair is a great fit with Travis.

I think either pair is a great fit with Travis.

Travis is the one guy we have NO clue where he's leaning right now. I'm not even sure he knows where he wants to go so far. But yes, if he were to choose Minnesota over Stanford, Gonzaga, and UCLA, he'd really look nice playing along side our package duo. *Hoping he stays here.

Travis is the one guy we have NO clue where he's leaning right now. I'm not even sure he knows where he wants to go so far. But yes, if he were to choose Minnesota over Stanford, Gonzaga, and UCLA, he'd really look nice playing along side our package duo. *Hoping he stays here.

He doesn't even know what sport he wants to play yet.

Well we could take all four, and Travis and than tell say McNeil or Mathieu depending on whose worse to take a hike. in 09 we let Peyton and Busch walk, when better players come into the program you let inferior one's go. A part me thinks both Vaughn and Perkins are one and done, so I'd rather have Whitehead and Newton if they'll stay longer if we have to choose

Well we could take all four, and Travis and than tell say McNeil or Mathieu depending on whose worse to take a hike. in 09 we let Peyton and Busch walk, when better players come into the program you let inferior one's go. A part me thinks both Vaughn and Perkins are one and done, so I'd rather have Whitehead and Newton if they'll stay longer if we have to choose

That's a totally different situation. Busch and *Payton* were seniors and on schedule to graduate in the spring when they were "let go." Plus Dre and McNeil are Pitino recruits.

Yeah, 2 things:

1) Why would Pitino get rid of two recruits he brought in, especially the way "cutting" would make him look. He isn't Coach Cal, he can't just go start cutting kids he recruited a year before.
2) I tend to be a gopher optimist, but there is no way we get both package deal. I will be excited if we can get one of these players at all. There is just not enough playing time for Vaughn, Perkins, Newton, and Whitehead, especially considering we have Dre in the backcourt as well. Not to say that if they all committed we wouldn't take them, the second package will take us off their list if the first one commits

Oto.. and it wouldn't be so harshly worded, but it happens. Oto seems logical in this case as he is not a recruit for Pitino and he will still have a year remaining after this season. These problems seems to magically work themselves out.. lets just enjoy the season.. as Mr. Tice would say

It's just exciting to have so many players speak so highly of our recruiting efforts. What a great "problem" to have, that too many top 100 kids might be interested...

Yeah, I'll "worry" about this "problem" of so much interest from top-100 players when some of them actually start committing.

I think the best realistic possibility to hope for is something like Macura, Travis, one of the 4* PGs (Newton, Perkins, Robinson, Nairn, Cohen), and if we're really lucky one of the 5* shooting guards (Whitehead, Vaughn). That would be the best class we've had in a long time and reason to be thrilled about the future.

If we sign 4 in the fall maybe we'll keep recruiting a few through the spring, because as we've seen there's always some unexpected departure.

I'd take 4 guards. Didn't Nova ride 4 to an elite 8 2005-2006?

Top Bottom