Souhan: Teague's plan for U is as audacious as the AD himself

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the column:

Teague revealed much about himself with the announcement.

Ambition? Check. Teague isn’t trying to coax a few extra victories out of women’s cross-country. He is trying to elevate football and basketball, the sports whose revenues raise all ships.

Business savvy? Check. When was the last time any sports entity in the Twin Cities revealed construction plans or hopes without begging for tax dollars? If Teague gets this done, the new practice facility should be called the Woody Pavilion.

Confidence? Check. Only someone with bravado and a successful track record could, in his first year on the job, fire a Hall of Fame basketball coach and propose to solve all of the university’s sports facilities problems in one privately financed swoop.

Minnesotans are never sure whether to trust the slick outsider. Burned by Lou Holtz’s shtick and angered by Red McCombs’ disingenuousness, many locals felt uncomfortable seeing an unknown guy from a small East Coast school singing the Rouser.

Maybe their fears will prove justified. Teague’s plan is audacious. But the Gophers athletic department needed a time machine to the 21st century, and Teague isn’t afraid to build one in the driveway while the neighbors gawk.

He’s either crazy or good, and either is an upgrade.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/215177701.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Hope I'm not the only who liked Souhan's column. We could sure use an innovative AD and he walked into a very difficult situation. Let's hope he's a huge success and our luck has finally changed here.

Hope I'm not the only who liked Souhan's column. We could sure use an innovative AD and he walked into a very difficult situation. Let's hope he's a huge success and our luck has finally changed here.

It says Souhan in the title. Most will refuse to read it.

"He’s either crazy or good, and either is an upgrade."

Or both, which would make him crazy good, far above and beyond any of us.

It's funny how if a writer writes positives about the U it is considered a good article. If it is negative then it is considered a bad article here on GopherHole.

The article is a positive article towards the U, but in my opinion is absolutely terribly written. Is it so much to ask for basic sentence structure to be adhered to in a published piece? This is not your private blog, Jim. People pay you to write this stuff. If a high school student can write it, it's not good.

It's funny how if a writer writes positives about the U it is considered a good article. If it is negative then it is considered a bad article here on GopherHole.

The article is a positive article towards the U, but in my opinion is absolutely terribly written. Is it so much to ask for basic sentence structure to be adhered to in a published piece? This is not your private blog, Jim. People pay you to write this stuff. If a high school student can write it, it's not good.

I didn't read the article, but I think this is a direct result of how the local media treats the U's athletics. The local media dishes up far more negative stories than positive stories, I don't think anyone would dispute this. As a result, the passionate fans develop a disdain for particular local writers and media heads. Who is going to be a fan of a writer that rips your favorite team 99% of the time? If you are like me, you probably won't even bother reading that person's work, ever.

For one day, at least, I'll hold out some hope for the Strib's sportswriters. Unfortunately tomorrow will likely bring Reusse's rebuttal.

Top Bottom