PICTURES!! Norwood Teague Unveils Gophers Master Facilities Plan

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers AD Norwood Teague unveiled an ambitious, bold and aggressive Master Facilities Plan Wednesday afternoon in front of the University's Board of Regents. The $190 million dollar Phase One initiative is designed to be a "Gopher athlete village" and is reportedly going to be privately funded.

For pictures of the renderings:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/270250?referrer_id=

Now that there is a plan, let the money roll in.

Go Gopher Fans!!!

Unless a big donor steps up with tons of money, this is going to be a looooong thread (i.e., ongoing "updates" for many years before there is a new bball practice facility).

Marcus tweet- #Gophers AD Norwood Teague said they've talked to some major donors about the basketball practice facility and have "gotten some nods."

What you thinking now GW? Didn't you consistently rip Norwood and his ability to get money and get this thing moving over and over and over............?

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - University of Minnesota athletics director Norwood Teague estimates a new Gophers sports facility will cost $190 million over six to eight years. Teague said the project will be privately-funded, which should be music to the ears of taxpayers tired of pumping money into local sports.

Teague originally estimated an $80 million to $125 million price tag for a new Gophers sports complex.

The plan was presented before the university's Board of Regents on Wednesday.

WHAT'S INCLUDED?

The proposed Gophers complex would include:

- Academic center

- Training table

- Football complex

- Gymnastics facilities

- Olympic sports indoor practice facility

- Outdoor Olympic track

- Men's and women's basketball practice facility

- Wrestling training facilities

ALL IN

When asked if all coaches at the university have agreed to this proposal, Teague said "that's an understatement."

"They tear up when they see it, they're so happy," he said. "This is not just for football or basketball…this is for everybody."

The Olympic sports indoor practice facility would be available for all sports except football, which has its own complex.

The proposed location of the new Gophers facility is on 15th Avenue SE, between 6th Street and 8th Street – roughly the same city block footprint of the current facilities.

REGENTS RESPONSE

The regents called Teague's proposal a "nice change."

WHAT ABOUT WILLIAMS?

As for the aging Williams Arena, Teague said the basketball facility could get some work on the outer concourse in a second phase of the sports facilities plan.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/22807206/gophers-sports-practice-facility-plan#ixzz2Yfz0tdRh

I believe Teague said we still have to do a fundraising feasibility study, by an outside consulting firm. This leads me to believe that while we may get a few early donations, we're still a long ways from having a meaningful amount.

I asked on the football board as well, but does anyone remember how much we raised privately for TCF Bank Stadium? I don't think it was even close to $190MM, and that was for a brand new, game-used, outdoor, on-campus football stadium. I don't see how we can expect to raise more than a football stadium for a series of practice facilities/student used centers (academic, nutrition, etc.). It's a lot sexier for corporations, big money donors, etc. to give to a stadium.

We'll get our fair share of big donors, but I'd be shocked if we can come close to $190MM in private donations to fund this. I hope I'm wrong. I also hope the first priority is the hoops practice facility and then we can go from there.

Go Gophers!!

Marcus tweet- #Gophers AD Norwood Teague said they've talked to some major donors about the basketball practice facility and have "gotten some nods."

What you thinking now GW? Didn't you consistently rip Norwood and his ability to get money and get this thing moving over and over and over............?

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - University of Minnesota athletics director Norwood Teague estimates a new Gophers sports facility will cost $190 million over six to eight years. Teague said the project will be privately-funded, which should be music to the ears of taxpayers tired of pumping money into local sports.

Teague originally estimated an $80 million to $125 million price tag for a new Gophers sports complex.

WHAT'S INCLUDED?

- Academic center

- Training table

- Football complex

- Gymnastics facilities

- Outdoor Olympic track

ALL IN

When asked if all coaches at the university have agreed to this proposal, Teague said "that's an understatement."

"They tear up when they see it, they're so happy," he said. "This is not just for football or basketball…this is for everybody."

The Olympic sports indoor practice facility would be available for all sports except football, which has its own complex.

The proposed location of the new Gophers facility is on 15th Avenue SE, between 6th Street and 8th Street – roughly the same city block footprint of the current facilities.

REGENTS RESPONSE

WHAT ABOUT WILLIAMS?

As for the aging Williams Arena, Teague said the basketball facility could get some work on the outer concourse in a second phase of the sports facilities plan.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/22807206/gophers-sports-practice-facility-plan#ixzz2Yfz0tdRh

I'm can deal with the narrow concourse at the barn if they want to get this complex rolling first!

Guessing Standford is on board because the % of this complex benefiting football players.

Big time facilities will give us big time teams! Right????

If anything, this builds on GW's point. If the bball practice facility is now going to be part of a 190 mil complex, do you really think that this is going to happen any time soon?

WHAT'S INCLUDED?

- Academic center

- Training table

- Football complex

- Gymnastics facilities

- Outdoor Olympic track

ALL IN

REGENTS RESPONSE

WHAT ABOUT WILLIAMS?

I'm can deal with the narrow concourse at the barn if they want to get this complex rolling first!

Guessing Standford is on board because the % of this complex benefiting football players.

Probably a brilliant move on Teague's part to make this a sports village instead of series of individual projects.

Top Bottom