Q&A: Reid Travis Discusses Gonzaga Visit, Talks to Gophers Staff 2-3 Times Per Week

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Reid Travis Discusses Gonzaga Visit, Talks to Gophers Staff 2-3 Times Per Week

Reid Travis Discusses Gonzaga Visit, Says He Talks to Gophers Staff 2-3 Times Per Week
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/269645?referrer_id=331171

Reid Travis, a 6-foot-7, 228-pound rising senior forward from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, played in the Big Man Skills Academy this past week and recently visited Gonzaga. He scored 19 points Tuesday night at the High Performance Academy in the Howard Pulley Pro-Am Summer League.

Travis had an outstanding junior season as he helped pace the Islanders to their second straight Class AAA state title and was named the Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year. He is ranked as the #40 player in the Class of 2014 by ESPN.

GopherHole.com caught up with Travis to learn the latest on his visit, recruitment and summer plans.

Gopher Hole: How was the visit to Gonzaga?

Reid Travis: It was a good time. It was nice seeing the players and the coaches and see what campus life is all about.

Gopher Hole: Did you know (former Osseo player) Sam Dower before that?

Reid Travis: I texted with him a little bit before I got my visit set. He was my host.

Gopher Hole: How well did you know him before that?

Reid Travis: Not too well. I knew who he was. I don’t know if he knew who I was, but it was a good time. We had the Minnesota connection, so we bonded right off the bat.

Gopher Hole: Does he like it up there?

Reid Travis: Yes, he loves it. I think that he had a chance to go back (home) this summer, but decided just to stay at Gonzaga. I think that is how much he enjoys it out there.

Gopher Hole: What was the reason that you decided to make them your first official visit?

Reid Travis: They kind of wore on me from the start about just trying narrowing down a date. I wouldn’t say pressure, but they were the one that was talking to me the most. Trying to get the date set up, more than other schools. I kind of just rolled with them and it all fell into place.

Gopher Hole: Do you know what other school you are definitely going to take officials to yet? Have you thought that far yet?

Reid Travis: No. I don’t have anything else penciled in.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience like at the Big Man Skills Academy out in Union, New Jersey last week?

Reid Travis: It was great. Just playing against the best players in the country. Kind of seeing where I am at skill-wise. Learning some new post moves from some NBA guys. It was a good time

Gopher Hole: Who were some of the NBA or college guys that you worked with?

Reid Travis: Anthony Davis (of New Orleans) worked a lot with us. There were some assistants from some NBA teams, I think a Boston assistant, Memphis, the Clippers. There were a lot of good coaches and a lot of good players there.

Gopher Hole: Who were some of the guys that you liked to play against?

Reid Travis: There was a lot of big names there. Mostly every top big man in the EYBL. I’m not sure the names, I’m drawing a blank.

Gopher Hole: You are playing in the LeBron James Skills Academy this week (July 6-8 in Las Vegas). What are you hoping to get out of that experience?

Reid Travis: Just trying to get better. Learn some moves and stuff like that. Just continue to work on what I have got to do and just stay healthy and come into the Peach Jam strong.

Gopher Hole: You are obviously not going to have much of a break before the Peach Jam. You finished out the EYBL season strong, going 5-0 in Minnesota. What are the expectations down in Augusta?

Reid Travis: We are trying to at least get to the Final Four and I think that once we get there, our grind can just tough it out and win the Peach Jam. I think that the sky is the limit for our team, if all the pieces fall into place.

Gopher Hole: You missed the game Saturday, but what is this experience like playing in the Pro-Am Summer League against college and pro players? How much do you think that is going to help your game?

Reid Travis: It helps it a lot, especially being able to bang with guys that are going into the league or in college or overseas. The style of play is a lot different, because of the physicality and that should help me and my teammates when we go over to the Peach Jam, because it is a different style of play so it should come easy to us.

Gopher Hole: You are received a ton of interest from the schools that have been recruiting you for some time. Are there any new schools or is it pretty much the same core of schools that you are hearing from?

Reid Travis: It is pretty much the same core.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from Minnesota?

Reid Travis: I am hearing a lot. I talk to them at least two or three times a week, so I am liking the staff a lot. I am liking the program. I hope to get an official set soon.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, they have a connection with DeLaSalle with former Islander player and current Minnesota assistant coach Ben Johnson. I know that he had recruited you when he was at Nebraska, but how well did you know him before he got to Minnesota?

Reid Travis: I knew Ben really well. He recruited me at UNI, too. We have known each other for awhile and they always talked about him at our school when basketball comes up. He is a great guy and I love speaking to him.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest with football? Have you even gotten a chance to do much?

Reid Travis: I haven’t gotten a chance to do much with football. I have only been home like three or four days this whole month. I haven’t been able to do much or as much as I would like to.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have a few offers for football. What is the latest on your football recruitment?

Reid Travis: I’m not sure. My coach kind of handles all that right now. He knows that I am busy, so he is just taking all the calls in and explaining the situation. He is letting me clear my mind with all that.

Gopher Hole: Are you leaning one way more than the other or are you still pretty open between the two sports?

Reid Travis: It is open.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from Minnesota?

Reid Travis: I am hearing a lot. I talk to them at least two or three times a week, so I am liking the staff a lot. I am liking the program. I hope to get an official set soon.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, they have a connection with DeLaSalle with former Islander player and current Minnesota assistant coach Ben Johnson. I know that he had recruited you when he was at Nebraska, but how well did you know him before he got to Minnesota?

Reid Travis: I knew Ben really well. He recruited me at UNI, too. We have known each other for awhile and they always talked about him at our school when basketball comes up. He is a great guy and I love speaking to him.

Good to hear.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It is a very good sign that he is using an official visit on us.

99.9% sure he plays basketball.

Maybe you should let Reid know that because it sounds like he's having a tough time deciding.

For anyone who knows: is he allowed 5 official visits total or 5 per sport?

Top Bottom