Which new player will have the most impact next season?

howieramone

Reaction score
Wally
Buggs
McNeil
Dre Mathieu
Malik Smith
King
Buckles

I've included Wally because he was injured much of the season and only played 47 minutes.

How is Buggs a new player? This will be his 3rd year with the team.

I gotta go with Malik Smith! He has played in Pitino's system before so should have better knowledge of it, also with his propensity to hit threes I think he will see the court the most out of anybody there other than maybe Buckles (if he comes here that is). I just don't think Buggs is quite ready yet, but I think Buggs will have the best Gopher career out of any of them. He just has so much potential, especially in Pitino's system.

Smith or Mathieu seem like the obvious choices. I'd go Smith, as I think Mathieu may take more time to adjust due to his size. I'll go with Buggs as a dark-horse for most impact newcomer, if only because we literally have no idea what to expect outside of some of the excitement we're hearing occasionally.

I am going with Smith to have the biggest impact and give us a consistent 3 point threat that we have lacked the last couple seasons, I also think King could have a nice impact next season and may end up starting at the 4 spot for the opener assuming everything is cleared by the NCAA.

If we are going to compete, then it better be Buckles.....if he in fact plays here.

Here's how I'd rate their expected impact.

1.Rakeem Buckles- If he ends up coming here, you would have to think he is the favorite to start at the 4.
2.Charles Buggs- If Buckles doesnt come you would think Buggs would start. Even if Buckles comes, I could see us playing small ball against some teams with both Buckles and Buggs on the floor.
3.Malik Smith-With Joe Coleman gone Malik has a good chance to take over Joe's spot in the starting lineup. He wont be taking 8 threes a game like he was at FIU, but he will be able to space the floor and knock down the open jumper unlike Joe.
4.Dre Mathieu-We desperately needed a second capable ball-handler last year, and Mathieu should be that guy this year. I think there is an outside chance he could start this year, but he will definitely see plenty of minutes off the bench if he doesn't start.
5.Daquein Mcneil-Due to the fast pace style of play, Mcneil will definitely see some minutes off the bench. Gives us a third capable ball-handler.
6.Wally Ellenson-We all know about his leaping ability. He is going to need to hit open jumpers if he wants to see solid playing time.
7. Joey King-If Buckles comes, I could see him in a role like Oto's last year. Will obviously seenmore playing timenout of neccessity if Buckles doesn't make it up here.

Alot is riding on Buckles transfering and being eligible this year. I think Buggs makes some nice strides regardless. Smith, Mathieu, and Daquien will give us alot more options in the backcourt than we had last year. I like Wally's potential but he is going to have to get his jumpshot going early in the season if he wants to see solid playing time. King to me, is a better version of Oto, coming off the bench. All in all, we really need Buckles.

Think I'll go with Mathieu. Sounds like he plays with a chip on his shoulder, is lightning quick and of course can jump out of the gym. That's easy to like.

Hopefully Mathieu is here this fall and makes a big difference. We need another PG and/or playmaker, big time.

Gotta be between mathieau and Smith hopefully they both make big impacts!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Here's how I'd rate their expected impact.

1.Rakeem Buckles- If he ends up coming here, you would have to think he is the favorite to start at the 4.
2.Charles Buggs- If Buckles doesnt come you would think Buggs would start. Even if Buckles comes, I could see us playing small ball against some teams with both Buckles and Buggs on the floor.
3.Malik Smith-With Joe Coleman gone Malik has a good chance to take over Joe's spot in the starting lineup. He wont be taking 8 threes a game like he was at FIU, but he will be able to space the floor and knock down the open jumper unlike Joe.
4.Dre Mathieu-We desperately needed a second capable ball-handler last year, and Mathieu should be that guy this year. I think there is an outside chance he could start this year, but he will definitely see plenty of minutes off the bench if he doesn't start.
5.Daquein Mcneil-Due to the fast pace style of play, Mcneil will definitely see some minutes off the bench. Gives us a third capable ball-handler.
6.Wally Ellenson-We all know about his leaping ability. He is going to need to hit open jumpers if he wants to see solid playing time.
7.If Buckles comes, I could see him in a role like Oto's last year. Will obviously seenmore playing timenout of neccessity if Buckles doesn't make it up here.

Alot is riding on Buckles transfering and being eligible this year. I think Buggs makes some nice strides regardless. Smith, Mathieu, and Daquien will give us alot more options in the backcourt than we had last year. I like Wally's potential but he is going to have to get his jumpshot going early in the season if he wants to see solid playing time. King to me, is a better version of Oto, coming off the bench. All in all, we really need Buckles.

Were you referring to Joey King for #7?

1. Malik
2. Buckles
3. Wally
4. Dre
5. Buggs
6. McNeil
7. King

Malik and buckles will be the only solid guys, not great but solid, the rest are Nothing special, for this year at least

Wally
Buggs
McNeil
Dre Mathieu
Malik Smith
King
Buckles

I've included Wally because he was injured much of the season and only played 47 minutes.

Smith, easy. He's a proven veteran/scorer who averaged 14+ ppg last year. Wally is raw. Buggs is raw. McNeil is a Freshman. Mathieu is untested. King is raw. Buckles isn't on the roster.

I think Malik Smith will break the Gophers single season three point record for makes and finishes the year with 94 made threes on 224 attempts.

Our Coach Pitino is one of the new players on the block this year, and I think he will have the most impact.

Top Bottom