New Q&A: Tyus Jones Talks AAU Ball, Baylor Official Visit and Richard Pitino

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tyus Jones Talks AAU Ball, Baylor Official Visit and Richard Pitino
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/269383?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound rising senior point guard from Apple Valley (MN) High, is ranked as the number three prospect in the Class of 2014. He is thought to be a must-get recruit for his final list of seven programs, including Minnesota. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Tuessday to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: I was told that you are not playing in the Lebron James Skills Academy this week in Las Vegas to get ready for the Peach Jam July 10-14. Was that a hard decision to make?

Tyus Jones: It was. It was, because you want to go and experience that, but with it being so close to the Peach Jam, I want to make sure that I am rested and focused on that and make a good run at it.

Gopher Hole: You have had two good games at the Howard Pulley Pro-Am Summer League. How do you think it helps your game playing against college players and some pros?

Tyus Jones: It just makes you better. When you are playing against bigger, stronger guys, quicker elite athletes, there is nothing better. It just makes you better, so you can keep up and succeed at that level.

Gopher Hole: Tonight, your opponent seemed like they were trying to make you work harder on the defensive end to try to wear you down. Have you noticed team trying to do that to you?

Tyus Jones: I have.

Gopher Hole: What are you trying to do to prevent that from happening?

Tyus Jones: Just keep playing hard. You have to step your intensity up and your game. You just have to be a better player.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for the Peach Jam? You played very well in the EYBL event in Minnesota, going 5-0.

Tyus Jones: The expectation is you have to go in, attacking it one game a time. Ultimately, you are trying to win. You first have to try to advance out of your pool, so we are going to try to go in and win every game in our pool and from there, hopefully move on and then it is win or go home. You have to attack it one game at a time.

Gopher Hole: What are your other plans from the for the rest of the summer? You are playing in the Peach Jam and then play the third week at the Super Showcase in Orlando. Are you doing anything that second week of the opening period?

Tyus Jones: Not sure yet.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to be playing in the Global Games in Portland in August?

Tyus Jones: Possibly. Trying to see who else is going out there. What other players, so we’ll see about that one.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about taking an official visits after you are done traveling in August?

Tyus Jones: Just an official to Baylor at the end of August. That is the only one that I have planned.

Gopher Hole: What about the other schools on your list and official visits. Have you thought that far yet?

Tyus Jones: We are thinking and talking about them, but we don’t have any plans as of yet. We don’t know where to yet.

Gopher Hole: Are you still down to the same seven schools?

Tyus Jones: Yes, sir

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Tyus Jones: I am still talking to Coach Pitino and Coach Johnson. Still just building a relationship. Just talking to them like the other colleges.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been focusing on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Tyus Jones: Overall speed and strength. You can always get quicker. A step quicker. Stronger with the ball and make sure that I am always putting up shots. You can never put up too many shots.

Top Bottom