Brad Stevens to Celtics

I think I'm going to write a newspaper article lambasting the University of Minnesota for failing to hire this guy. Clearly he was available.

Surprised to say the least. Shocked would be a better word to describe my reaction to this news.

I really like Stevens as a coach, but never counted on him moving to the NBA (or anywhere else for that matter) anytime soon.

Stevens leaving Butler could have an impact for the Gophers in the recruitment of Lakeville North scorer J.P. Macura. I just called Macura and he is going to call me back later for a quick interview.

Chris Monter

Stevens leaving Butler could have an impact for the Gophers in the recruitment of Lakeville North scorer J.P. Macura. I just called Macura and he is going to call me back later for a quick interview.

Chris Monter

I imagine it can't hurt, that's for sure.

Chris Monter

Pitino Jr. should be on the horn with him...tonight.

I think I'm going to write a newspaper article lambasting the University of Minnesota for failing to hire this guy. Clearly he was available.

Follow that up with the U's failure to hire Jim Harbaugh to replace Brewster. That was another screw-up. At times we seem like the most delusional fans in existence.

To think, I was just running on campus yesterday and saw Coach Stevens dressed in his Butler apparel heading to a basketball camp at the rec center and now this.. Truly sucks. Really thought he would be staying at BU until the Duke job opened up.

Pitino Jr. should be on the horn with him...tonight.

Can I just say that you have certainly been a lot less negative lately! I have actually been agreeing with you, and I do with this.

Miami, Penn State and Purdue have all called about Lakeville North's J.P. Macura in the last 24 hours, according to D1 Minnesota's Tom Krosschell. Expect more teams to show interest in Macura with the Butler head coaching change since they were thought to be the favorite for his services. Will be interesting to see who replaces Stevens. former Butler associate head coach Matthew Graves was hired South Alabama in late March. Don't know if he would leave so soon to go back to Indy or not?

Well, it was a nice run for Butler...now go back to obscurity!

Because most desired jobs for successful college bball coaches usually are:

1. Minnesota Gophers
2. Boston Celtics

;)

Well, it was a nice run for Butler...now go back to obscurity!

You know, Butler had several NCAA tourney appearances and multiple Sweet 16s in the 10 years before Stevens took the head coach job.

I think it was going to be hard for Stevens to keep Butler as a top-25 program while moving into a tougher league (which will reduce the number of conference titles Butler will win and NCAA tourney appearances, something that actually does matter in recruiting) and having to face better talent more regularly which will wear them down more before the tournament. Instead of making the tourney as a #8 or #9 seed out of the Horizon as tourney champs, they'd have a serious chance of missing the tournament with that type of season now, and even when they make it they will be more battered and not as fresh.

Ultimately I do think Butler was trending in the wrong direction, and Stevens is wise to jump ship to a job where even if he gets fired he will still be able to get a top coaching job (probably not Duke/UNC, but still something good like Memphis for example).

You know, Butler had several NCAA tourney appearances and multiple Sweet 16s in the 10 years before Stevens took the head coach job.

Eh, I'm just talking smack...let's not let facts get in the way.

I don't see Stevens' style of play translating well to the association.

Good timing for Stevens if this is something he has wanted to try out. Celtics with heavy roster transition.. big money for Stevens to try out the NBA with lowered expectations.

Can always go back to college if things are disastrous in Boston.

Don't like to see good college basketball coaches leave the game, but can't blame the guy. Timing stinks for Butler and the Big East. Pitino should see what Bluiett is thinking.

Such an interesting hire. Not only is Stevens making the usually unsuccessful jump from college to the pro's, but he's doing it with little to no experience coaching NBA athletes/personalities (aside from short spurts in USA basktball). I realize he had Gordon Heyward at Butler, but Gordon isn't your typical NBA player. Rajon Rondo, Kris Humphries and co are an entirely different animal than the mid major recruits that Coach Stevens is used to dealing with at Butler.

I think it can work, especially with the Celtics committed to a long term rebuilding process. The upside of the hire likely depends far more on how the Celtics fare in the lottery over the next 1-3 seasons than his X's and O's acumen.

Good timing for Stevens if this is something he has wanted to try out. Celtics with heavy roster transition.. big money for Stevens to try out the NBA with lowered expectations.

Can always go back to college if things are disastrous in Boston.

Don't like to see good college basketball coaches leave the game, but can't blame the guy. Timing stinks for Butler and the Big East. Pitino should see what Bluiett is thinking.

The bolded is what first came to me. I find it really surprising, but where's the risk for him? I don't think he could possibly do enough on-court damage to his reputation that he wouldn't have just about the pick of the litter with open jobs if he were to be coming back, either by choice or forced.

All NBA Coaches are hired to eventually be fired. It is just a case of when and how long.

Sharing thoughts

My first reaction was shock! It's a spoof...can't be true. My second reaction lasted an instant...we could of had him after all. I think Westcoast feels similar and wasn't completely serious in his comments.

The Celtics are going to be a bad NBA team for awhile. I too, wonder if he adapts to the personalities of NBA?

But, also agree, he can't hurt his reputation failing an unforseen or unexpected scandal...so why not experience the NBA and it's money and prestige. If he comes back to college he can recruit guys more effectively as a college coach... "knowing" what it takes, how to become an NBA player, knowing the NBA people and the insider tricks to be an even more attractive recruiter and college hire.

Agree also, the timing was right to leave Butler. Lots of great points guys.

Brad Stevens is the greatest coach in the history of the NCAA and he deserves his shot to lead the most storied franchise in NBA history to many championships.

Brad Stevens is the greatest coach in the history of the NCAA and he deserves his shot to lead the most storied franchise in NBA history to many championships.

I laughed when I saw the press conference. Stevens is a fine coach, no doubt. But Celtic Brass stated he was one of the two best college coaches ever! Good lord.

Top Bottom