HP and DRE

book

Reaction score
Saw Dre Monday nite and he had a big bandage around his eye. Stitches I assume???? His team won by one over King/Wallys team.
Dre didn't have his best night and Buggs shows some flashes but Buggs has difficulty on defense. Wally had a nice slam but struggles to make long shots. King has some nice inside moves. Jordan Taylor plays on Dre's team and they make a nice combo guard unit.

Like I said in the other thread, Buggs showed flashes, but he's still very, very raw. Wally's shot was off. Joey King has a smooth jumper, but I didn't see much out of him inside, to be honest. I'm a bit concerned about our 4 spot. Hopefully we can get Buckles.

Saw Dre Monday nite and he had a big bandage around his eye. Stitches I assume???? His team won by one over King/Wallys team.
Dre didn't have his best night and Buggs shows some flashes but Buggs has difficulty on defense. Wally had a nice slam but struggles to make long shots. King has some nice inside moves. Jordan Taylor plays on Dre's team and they make a nice combo guard unit.

Dre played last night(Monday)??

As of Saturday he played for team:Tony Greer Gazzette

and according to the schedule they play tonight(Tuesday).

Anyways, I was looking forward to watching him tonight...
Maybe he was just filling in for teams that needed players on either Saturday or Monday.

I hope they are selling programs tonight with "official" team rosters, it would be nice to know whos on which team
and also to know who some of the players actually are that I'm not familiar with.

In addition, I agree with the general assesment of Buggs, he has got some tools and athletic ability I would love to see him be more aggressive and work to refine some of those skills.

heres another copy of the schedule as if this board needs anymore. lol.
http://www.eteamz.com/howardpulley/files/2013ProCitySchedule.pdf

Buggs has so many things going for him. Great athleticism, great length, he's putting on some weight, and he's got a pure shot. He's still raw though. He doesn't rebound at all. He shies away from contact. On D, though he's quick to catch up, he can still get beat with a first step and he gets lost on screens. And he fades around on every shot. At Pulley yesterday he trailed a play, got a pass, shot an open three in rhythm, and was still fading away. Not ideal. I'm not sure he'll be able to contribute as much as I'd previously hoped.

Dre was obviously tired from his trip, and wasn't taking the game extremely seriously. His jumper and everything were still there, but he looked a little tired at points, and his jumper was a bit off. I'm not concerned.

Wally is still an insane leaper. He appears to have lost weight since last year. His shot also makes it clear that he's been pretty exclusively working on high jumping lately. He was kind of invisible for most of the game except for a nice alley oop. He still competes, and works hard. Hopefully he'll work on his shot and be able to make a few for us this year.

Joey King is skinnier than I thought. Anybody thinking of him as anything other than a pick and pop shooter are going to be disappointed. Every opportunity, he dashes out to the three point lane and calls for the ball. And some of the bigger forwards were dominating him inside on the boards. Further, he had some trouble finishing on layups amongst the trees. I think he may be able to help us, but after watching he and Buggs (admittedly in Summer League, but although good signs from HP don't always translate, bad signs often do), I'm still not sure we've got a power forward who will be able to hold his own in the big ten. It's not a news flash, but our backcourt is going to have to carry us.

Pretty accurate recap. I think it's time for an all things HP Pro-Am thread.

Buggs was either taller than 6’-9” (very possible, he is long) or King is closer to 6’-7”, there was a 2” gap between the two. Buggs could be very good one day, but I’m also worried he is not ready to be a B1G starting PF yet. A year playing behind Buckles would be ideal.

Wally was a nonfactor. I wouldn’t say Wally was thinner, but certainly taller, he and Ricther are both slightly over 6’-5”.

King’s needs to hit the weights, actually bigger than I expected, but not strong enough. Took a charge, got to the line and hit 4 free throws, had one nice inside put back, missed his 4 three point attempts. Off night shooting wise and I believe he fouled out. He doesn’t play above the rim, sure he can dunk, but I don’t think he can get very far above the iron.

Pretty accurate recap. I think it's time for an all things HP Pro-Am thread.

Buggs was either taller than 6’-9” (very possible, he is long) or King is closer to 6’-7”, there was a 2” gap between the two. Buggs could be very good one day, but I’m also worried he is not ready to be a B1G starting PF yet. A year playing behind Buckles would be ideal.

Wally was a nonfactor. I wouldn’t say Wally was thinner, but certainly taller, he and Ricther are both slightly over 6’-5”.

King’s needs to hit the weights, actually bigger than I expected, but not strong enough. Took a charge, got to the line and hit 4 free throws, had one nice inside put back, missed his 4 three point attempts. Off night shooting wise and I believe he fouled out. He doesn’t play above the rim, sure he can dunk, but I don’t think he can get very far above the iron.

I agree with this post and with the quoted post by jmag21. I also thought King was leaving opportunities out there by setting some weak screens and failing to roll to the basket--he just seems to want to hang on the perimeter. Buggs definitely needs to bulk up a bit and not shy from contact. I was surprised at how little Ellenson contributed.

Dre played last night(Monday)??

As of Saturday he played for team:Tony Greer Gazzette

and according to the schedule they play tonight(Tuesday).

Anyways, I was looking forward to watching him tonight...
Maybe he was just filling in for teams that needed players on either Saturday or Monday.

I hope they are selling programs tonight with "official" team rosters, it would be nice to know whos on which team
and also to know who some of the players actually are that I'm not familiar with.

In addition, I agree with the general assesment of Buggs, he has got some tools and athletic ability I would love to see him be more aggressive and work to refine some of those skills.

heres another copy of the schedule as if this board needs anymore. lol.
http://www.eteamz.com/howardpulley/files/2013ProCitySchedule.pdf

I thought Dre and Buggs played on the correct team Monday and were just filling in Saturday. Here's my source for that: http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ey-pro-am-opening-day-brings-out-the-gophers/

Did anyone catch how Ryan Amoroso ended up playing? Possible Stat line?? I was watching saturday but couldn't make it last night.

Did anyone catch how Ryan Amoroso ended up playing? Possible Stat line?? I was watching saturday but couldn't make it last night.

I wasn't focused on him, but he played pretty well. He was playing very physical vs. King, intense guy on the court.

Figured I would just post this here, but went to HP again last night and some thoughts:

You'd think I'd start with Tyus here, but nope - Reid Travis blew me away last night. Very very impressed. First time seeing him in person and he looked really good. Outplayed Mbakwe for much of the game. Was hitting jumpers, post moves, played physical, just an all around great game. Would love to see him in maroon & gold.

Tyus played okay. Had a pretty rough first half and had a better second half. Shot a lot more than I would have expected from a "pure" PG. For as ball-hoggish as people say Vaughn is, Tyus passed very few times unless it was for a highlight play (had a really nice alley-opp pass to Jarvis Johnson - who wow, has an unreal vertical jump). I'd guess his A/TO ratio was about 1:1. His shot was very off, missed most of the jumpers he took and didn't finish well a lot either. That said, did an incredible job getting to the free throw line. Is very good at drawing contact. He started out the second half very well, hit some jumpers and finished some tough layups.

Jarvis Johnson impressed me too, he jumps so high with such little effort. It is unreal. He doesn't get the ball a lot with Tyus and Reid being the focal points, but I thought he played really well overall.

I was disapointed with Trevor and Rodney. Not sure if they were not trying all that hard or what, but they looked average on a court that was half made up of high school kids. I think Rodney finished with 7 points. Aside from a few goaltends and a really nice dunk by Rod, you barely knew either even played.

Damien Johnson looked really good in the 4th quarter. He kind of took over the game and gave his team the big win. He was getting and making nearly any shot he wanted out there. Looks a bit skinnier than I thought he was with the Gophers, but played really well overall.

I mostly agree with Scher215's thoughts. I was a lot more impressed with Tyus than he was, though. He makes scoring in the lane look so effortless, and his jump shot wasn't that bad last night. He hit a few threes. Oto looked absolutely atrocious all game. After unimpressive turns by Joey King and Buggs the night before, it's pretty clear that 4 is definitely going to be our weak spot. DJ looked great. I'd forgotten how athletic he was. Watching he and Rodney sky for rebounds against each other was a fun throwback. Reid went at Trevor a few times. I agree that he was very, very impressive, and I would LOVE to have him on this squad. I think he gets unfairly overlooked. Jarvis is very athletic, and fun to watch, but didn't touch the ball much. Oh, and as always, Carleton represented well! So I was excited about that.

Figured I would just post this here, but went to HP again last night and some thoughts:

You'd think I'd start with Tyus here, but nope - Reid Travis blew me away last night. Very very impressed. First time seeing him in person and he looked really good. Outplayed Mbakwe for much of the game. Was hitting jumpers, post moves, played physical, just an all around great game. Would love to see him in maroon & gold.

Tyus played okay. Had a pretty rough first half and had a better second half. Shot a lot more than I would have expected from a "pure" PG. For as ball-hoggish as people say Vaughn is, Tyus passed very few times unless it was for a highlight play (had a really nice alley-opp pass to Jarvis Johnson - who wow, has an unreal vertical jump). I'd guess his A/TO ratio was about 1:1. His shot was very off, missed most of the jumpers he took and didn't finish well a lot either. That said, did an incredible job getting to the free throw line. Is very good at drawing contact. He started out the second half very well, hit some jumpers and finished some tough layups.

Jarvis Johnson impressed me too, he jumps so high with such little effort. It is unreal. He doesn't get the ball a lot with Tyus and Reid being the focal points, but I thought he played really well overall.

I was disapointed with Trevor and Rodney. Not sure if they were not trying all that hard or what, but they looked average on a court that was half made up of high school kids. I think Rodney finished with 7 points. Aside from a few goaltends and a really nice dunk by Rod, you barely knew either even played.

Damien Johnson looked really good in the 4th quarter. He kind of took over the game and gave his team the big win. He was getting and making nearly any shot he wanted out there. Looks a bit skinnier than I thought he was with the Gophers, but played really well overall.

Thanks for the report. Any current Gophers in action last night?

I agree with most of this--especially that Trevor looked unimpressive against Reid Travis, who was able to create his own shot against him and looked strong--but I thought Rodney played pretty good defense. He got called for at least one goaltend that wasn't and stopped several fast breaks. Agree that he didn't really factor much offensively besides a sweet putback jam. Also, Tyus would have been shooting about 10% in the first half if he hadn't been bailed out time and again by the whistle. He looked very impressive in the second half, though--he certainly has a knack for getting to the hoop. Once I figure out the best way to do it, I'll try to put up a couple videos I took last night when I get a chance today--I got a few of Travis dominating Mbakwe, a Rodney putback jam, and some of Rodney's block party.

7/2/13 Howard Pulley Videos

I was videoing somewhat haphazardly because I (selfishly) prefer to actually watch, but I got some decent stuff last night. Apparently, I can only embed one at a time with the 'insert video' function, so here is one video of Rodney Williams' putback dunk and links to the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5NywqgiKCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bzvIbmlNrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYy8iKTINSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWGoIiag01Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_zgfJMtA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QgzMQ7pEKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ogVzjwRbfk

Top Bottom