ESPN: Joe Coleman picks Saint Mary's

don't think the Gophers will miss him at all. I wish him the best of luck at St. Marys!

The kind of school that recruited him out of High School. This rivals he had all those high majors offers was total garbage. Wish him well maybe he can shake his tweener skill level. He has always been closer to a four than a two or a three position wise.

Happy for Joe!

We have new guards to develop. He has a chance to elevate his game in sunny California.
Hopefully, it all turns out to be a win win for all sides and nobody has reason to look back.

The kind of school that recruited him out of High School. This rivals he had all those high majors offers was total garbage. Wish him well maybe he can shake his tweener skill level. He has always been closer to a four than a two or a three position wise.

He did have high major offers, not a bunch, but a few. He was a 4 star on ESPN, 3 star on Rivals and Scout, top 150, offers from a couple high majors other than the Gophers in Seton Hall and Iowa State and a couple decent mid majors in Colorado State and Creighton. Only ranked about 10-15 spots below Andre Hollins.

Jarvis Johnson's Rivals profile looked almost identical just a couple months ago. Rivals 4 star, offers from Iowa State and Creighton and a couple of mid majors and people were outraged that Tubby hadn't offered.

I liked Joe Coleman and was looking forward to watching him improve over his last couple seasons, best of luck to him at St. Mary's, I'm sure he'll do well.

He did have high major offers, not a bunch, but a few. He was a 4 star on ESPN, 3 star on Rivals and Scout, top 150, offers from a couple high majors other than the Gophers in Seton Hall and Iowa State and a couple decent mid majors in Colorado State and Creighton. Only ranked about 10-15 spots below Andre Hollins.

Jarvis Johnson's Rivals profile looked almost identical just a couple months ago. Rivals 4 star, offers from Iowa State and Creighton and a couple of mid majors and people were outraged that Tubby hadn't offered.

I liked Joe Coleman and was looking forward to watching him improve over his last couple seasons, best of luck to him at St. Mary's, I'm sure he'll do well.

There's a big difference there though. That was Joe's offer list when it was all said and done. Jarvis is still young and is now hearing from MSU and Kansas. He will almost certainly have a better offer list by the time he is a senior. The outrage over Tubby not offering was justified.

If I remember correctly, Tubby dragged his feet on offering Coleman, and I think that many fans were curious as to why that was. His brother played for the U, he was an all state player for multiple years, averaging at least in the mid 20's per game. Then, when I saw him play, I could see why it took so long to offer him. His skill set for a shooting guard in the big ten was, and still is, below average. He is a below average shooter, ball handler, and defender. He has above average athleticism which allowed him to dominate in high school and get by with some good games at the U.

I actually would have preferred he stick around and see how things would have panned out with Pitino's system. Aside from shooting the 3's, I think his skills would have been perfect for an up tempo type game plan (see @ Illinois 2012/13).

Good luck at St. Mary's, Joe!

He's going to the arch rival of one of my other college basketball teams so it looks like I'll be rooting against him. #GaelFael #RollZags

Coleman is nowhere near as skilled as Jarvis and is a 4 stuck in a 3's body. Jarvis is only a rising junior to be, so it would have been unrealistic for him to have offers from the top tier teams. The in-state home team should have been first to inquire. But now with the exposure from Pulley you see those HM schools going after him now.

I don't understand Coleman's statement, "When coach Smith left, I decided I wanted to go somewhere that I could expand my game."

If anything he would have expanded his game more with Pitino.

If I remember correctly, Tubby dragged his feet on offering Coleman, and I think that many fans were curious as to why that was. His brother played for the U, he was an all state player for multiple years, averaging at least in the mid 20's per game. Then, when I saw him play, I could see why it took so long to offer him. His skill set for a shooting guard in the big ten was, and still is, below average. He is a below average shooter, ball handler, and defender. He has above average athleticism which allowed him to dominate in high school and get by with some good games at the U.

I actually would have preferred he stick around and see how things would have panned out with Pitino's system. Aside from shooting the 3's, I think his skills would have been perfect for an up tempo type game plan (see @ Illinois 2012/13).

Good luck at St. Mary's, Joe!

Tubby drags his feet often on recruits.
I always said Joe's skill set was limited and he had to show development as a ball handler and shooter at his size.
At the time it seemed no one agreed or would hear what i had to say.
Anyway, I was looking forward to seeing him play for Pitino. I thought he could do well in that system.

Hopefully he can use the year off to continue his development and improve different aspects of his game.
I think Saint Mary's will be a good fit for him, but I wish he woulda gave Pitino a chance. I think he had a chance to thrive better than the previous 2 seasons.

I don't get "a 4 in a 3's body." A 3 in a 2, maybe. Granted he was never gonna be the spot up shooter but he could always get to the rim. And a 6-4 3 is not nec that small. Everybody is playing 3 guards now. But, yeah, I don't get what he means to say about expanding his game. Tubby with his half-court stuff was stifling Joe as much as anybody on the roster. Pitino would be a much better fit. The style of play I hear him describe just says "Hopkins" to me.

it would have been nice to have malik smith and coleman together to go along with austin and andre, that would have been the best backcourt in the big ten, oh well

it would have been nice to have malik smith and coleman together to go along with austin and andre, that would have been the best backcourt in the big ten, oh well, also i don't see why gopherholers besides parski dont think more of him leaving, there is a HUGE drop off in talent after coleman, our next best player is practically Osieneks, not quite but joe, austin and andre were are only solid players coming back next year, now its just andre and austin and a roster full of 2 stars, malik is solid i guess and i dont know what the deal is on Buckles, is it pretty much official that he isn't coming here?

They will....go get um Joe!

Yes, we will miss a short 2 that can't shoot, dribble or pass particularly well in a new offense that is 100% dependent on the guards being able to shoot, dribble and pass well.

The only time Joe wasn't struggling was finishing in transition...and then, any decent guard can score in transition. Joe was a huge liability in the half court offense, on defense and in bringing the ball up the floor against the press.

I liked him and wish him well, but I never saw where his skill set was going to work well with Ricco's style.

it would have been nice to have malik smith and coleman together to go along with austin and andre, that would have been the best backcourt in the big ten, oh well, also i don't see why gopherholers besides parski dont think more of him leaving, there is a HUGE drop off in talent after coleman, our next best player is practically Osieneks, not quite but joe, austin and andre were are only solid players coming back next year, now its just andre and austin and a roster full of 2 stars, malik is solid i guess and i dont know what the deal is on Buckles, is it pretty much official that he isn't coming here?

Does Parski now have two GH accounts? Lulz.

Best of success to Joe Coleman. He had some great moments and was a Minnesota kid that decided to stay home. I'll be rooting for him.

Yes I wish him well too.

Would have liked to see how he devloped under Lil' Ricky, but congrats to Joe. He's landing in a good program.

a Minnesota kid that decided to stay home

To be fair he is also a Minnesota kid who decided he didn’t want to represent his home state or UofM, took off the maroon and gold and left the program.

He should have two good seasons for St. Mary's after a year to work on his game & shot.

To be fair he is also a Minnesota kid who decided he didn’t want to represent his home state or UofM, took off the maroon and gold and left the program.

He should have two good seasons for St. Mary's after a year to work on his game & shot.

The lower level of play in the WCC should help his game too. I wish him the best of luck. I appreciated his aggressiveness, but I don't think his shooting and ball handling was ever going to be B1G level. I think it is WCC level, and he should have a fun couple of seasons out there.

its pretty amazing that all three coleman's transferred.

ben coleman from the u to maryland
dan coleman from bc to the u
joe coleman from the u to st marys

its pretty amazing that all three coleman's transferred.

ben coleman from the u to maryland
dan coleman from bc to the u
joe coleman from the u to st marys

That's been in the back of my mind also.

Top Bottom