Wally Ellenson on hoops team: It definitely feels like a new energy and vibe this yr

BleedGopher

Reaction score
As a sophomore-to-be, Ellenson is in many ways starting over. Tubby Smith, the coach who recruited him, is gone, replaced in April by the young and charismatic Richard Pitino.

“It’s kind of like a new freshman year,” Ellenson said. “But I’m liking the team. Workouts in summer have been great so far. I can’t wait for the season to begin. It definitely feels like a new energy and vibe this year.”

Smith’s dismissal and the subsequent coaching search dominated conversation around campus this spring. Ellenson, though, was too busy with track and field to pay much attention. He also, of course, had school to worry about and finished with a 3.3 GPA as a freshman.

“I just trusted we would get a great coaching staff,” Ellenson said, “and we did.”

Ellenson will spend the summer in the Twin Cities, lifting weights four or five times per week and practicing with his basketball teammates two or three times per week. The rest of the time, he can be found in the gym, getting up some extra shots.

“Right now all I’m focusing on is basketball,” Ellenson said. “I might high jump once a week or something, just to look at the bar.”

The way he’s going, that bar just keeps getting higher.

http://www.leadertelegram.com/sports/local_college/article_7ae194e8-e13d-11e2-a893-0019bb2963f4.html

Go Gophers!!

This kid is a stud. 3.3 with everything he has going on? All- American as a freshman? Can't wait to see his maturation and growth over the next 3 years. I think we're going to enjoy what we see.

I think he will thrive in Pitino's system. He's a freak athletically. He will keep up in the press. I hope we can get his confidence going with his 3 point shot as well as his defense. At least we know his morale is high.

This kid is a stud. 3.3 with everything he has going on? All- American as a freshman? Can't wait to see his maturation and growth over the next 3 years. I think we're going to enjoy what we see.

He and Andre - two mature scholarly dudes. Team leadership is in good hands.

Top Bottom