If Austin Hollins thrives in pitino's system he'll get drafted early in 2nd

schlegs

Reaction score
He has a lot of work to go, but he's a decent size nba 2, can shoot, and is an excellent defender. Plus it always helps when your old man is coach

Weird. I highly doubt Andre Hollins leaves if he's projected to be a late first/early second round pick. Maybe they include all draft eligible players just in case.

I think Austin Hollins has a chance to be a rotational player in the NBA. Improving his handles and becoming a more consistent shooter will help his stock rise.

I have no doubt about what you are saying, schlegs. Whether a kid has a dad who is an NBA level coach is important, or not, will remain a mystery to me. But then again, lots of things are mysteries to me. :)

Jaymil---- I highly doubt Andre Hollins leaves if he's projected to be a late first/early second round pick. Maybe they include all draft eligible players just in case.

Yes most mocks just include draft eligible players. Next years draft is also loaded so it would probably be in his best interest to stay anyways. Especially if we can pull in some recruits and make a post-season push with him as the leader

No matter if he gets drafted or not, I think he'll have a role with someone at the next level.

Andre Hollins, an exceptionally bright student in Carlson, is NOT going to leave early. This kid has his sh!t together, will graduate after giving us 4 years of excitement, and have a tremendous career inside or outside of basketball after he graduates with Honors. More power to him.

Dre just feels like the prototype 4 year kid. I wouldn't expect him to jump out early unless he starts getting like lottery level buzz.

On Austin, I can see him finding a role in the NBA easily, he's long, athletic, can shoot it (needs to avoid the big time slumps this year), pretty good defender. The handles need improvement if he was to move up higher, but with a good season, both him and the team, I don't see why he wouldn't get draft noise.

My opinion is that Dre will need to play PG in the NBA and he needs to improve his ball-handling and extend his 3 point shot to that level, in order to move up the board. That will probably take the next 2 years.

My opinion is that Dre will need to play PG in the NBA and he needs to improve his ball-handling and extend his 3 point shot to that level, in order to move up the board. That will probably take the next 2 years.

I agree with the ball handling, but Dre already has NBA range with his shot.

I feel Austin will go as far as his shot can take him. I think the bottom is as a Trenton Hassle or Corey Brewer type...as in he'll need to go to a good team that needs a defensive stopper who can occasionally hit the open shot. I don't think he'll have much value on a bad team. He obviously won't go as high as Wesley Johnson, but I can't imagine he'd be any worse of an NBA player.

Agreed. His shot/range are the least of his worries.

Respectfully disagree, guys. I didn't see him pulling up routinely from 3 feet beyond the arc, which is the NBA distance. That's a big difference. Can he do it? Absolutely. He ain't there yet, IMHO.

I feel Austin will go as far as his shot can take him. I think the bottom is as a Trenton Hassle or Corey Brewer type...as in he'll need to go to a good team that needs a defensive stopper who can occasionally hit the open shot. I don't think he'll have much value on a bad team. He obviously won't go as high as Wesley Johnson, but I can't imagine he'd be any worse of an NBA player.

The NBA is full of (and borderline obsessed) with the 3 and D wing players. They have to be able to knock down a lot of 3's (especially corner 3's) and defend.

He's a bit undersized to be a really good defender in the NBA. He will only be able to defend 2's. He's just not big enough to be able to be a real defensive force in the NBA. Additionally, he isn't as good of a shooter as lot of these guys who excel in the NBA in this role.

Respectfully disagree, guys. I didn't see him pulling up routinely from 3 feet beyond the arc, which is the NBA distance. That's a big difference. Can he do it? Absolutely. He ain't there yet, IMHO.

Why would he pull up routinely from 3 feet further than he needs to? He pulled up a number of times from NBA range and drained them. To pull up from that distance "routinely" in college would just be stupid. He has the shooting ability and the range necessary for an NBA guard. If he doesn't make it in the league, it will be for other reasons. No idea why that would be one of your concerns for him making it or not.

Why would he pull up routinely from 3 feet further than he needs to? He pulled up a number of times from NBA range and drained them. To pull up from that distance "routinely" in college would just be stupid. He has the shooting ability and the range necessary for an NBA guard. If he doesn't make it in the league, it will be for other reasons. No idea why that would be one of your concerns for him making it or not.

+1. He has shown, when he needs to, that he has NBA range. It wouldn't be smart for him to routinely take NBA range 3's.

Why would he pull up routinely from 3 feet further than he needs to?

Because the Gophers needed more scoring and, if he can make the shot, it's almost always available, until he knocks a couple down. Then, when they extend the defense, this opens up the interior, leaves the defender open to driving, etc. Maybe Tubby prevented him from shooting, maybe he doesn't have NBA range (at 41% - last year's average for Dre) yet.

It wouldn't be smart for him to routinely take NBA range 3's.

If he can make them at 41+%, it would be.

I never understand these statements, "If he thrives, he'll get drafted." NO KIDDING! If I walk on, score 50 points a game, I'll get drafted too.

I never understand these statements, "If he thrives, he'll get drafted." NO KIDDING! If I walk on, score 50 points a game, I'll get drafted too.

True, but the basis of "thriving" depends on a players ceiling. What people are talking about is the fact that Austin's ceiling is very high, he is smart, athletic, can shoot the 3, and defends. If he can THRIVE in Pitino's system, and showcase his talents, his high ceiling will be realized and will thus be drafted.

Mav could also THRIVE in Pitino's system, but there's not a very good chance of him getting drafted... High Ceiling vs. Low Ceiling

Mav could also THRIVE in Pitino's system, but there's not a very good chance of him getting drafted... High Ceiling vs. Low Ceiling

I had a dream last night that Mav was transferring for his final year of eligibility, and all the big name schools were hot on his trail. Coaches were incredulous that Pitino had let him go, and they were all praising his athleticism and court presence.

I need to get off the Gopherhole.

Dre shot 100% on turn-around half court shots. Does that count as NBA range?

True, but the basis of "thriving" depends on a players ceiling. What people are talking about is the fact that Austin's ceiling is very high, he is smart, athletic, can shoot the 3, and defends. If he can THRIVE in Pitino's system, and showcase his talents, his high ceiling will be realized and will thus be drafted.

Very good points, I just hate using the word thrive in these situations. There are definitely times where players raise their "ceiling". For instance, the recent interview with Dre where he said something to the extent of not being recruited heavily out of high school. I don't know much about his recruitment or anything, but if that is true then college coaches obviously didn't think his ceiling would result in an NBA draft pick. Now he still obviously has to continue what he is doing and working hard. Just saying, anybody can work hard and go after it, raise their ceiling, thrive in the game with the right work ethic.

EDIT: Side note, I do think both Austin and Dre end up being drafted after 4 years in our system.

I had a dream last night that Mav was transferring for his final year of eligibility, and all the big name schools were hot on his trail. Coaches were incredulous that Pitino had let him go, and they were all praising his athleticism and court presence.

I need to get off the Gopherhole.

The transferring part must have been a wet dream...

Very good points, I just hate using the word thrive in these situations. There are definitely times where players raise their "ceiling". For instance, the recent interview with Dre where he said something to the extent of not being recruited heavily out of high school. I don't know much about his recruitment or anything, but if that is true then college coaches obviously didn't think his ceiling would result in an NBA draft pick. Now he still obviously has to continue what he is doing and working hard. Just saying, anybody can work hard and go after it, raise their ceiling, thrive in the game with the right work ethic.

EDIT: Side note, I do think both Austin and Dre end up being drafted after 4 years in our system.

I don't think you understand what a ceiling is. Working hard and improving doesn't increase your ceiling, it just gets you closer to reaching what your ceiling already was. The only thing that is going to raise your ceiling is if you hit a growth spurt or something that is beyond your control.

I don't think you understand what a ceiling is. Working hard and improving doesn't increase your ceiling, it just gets you closer to reaching what your ceiling already was. The only thing that is going to raise your ceiling is if you hit a growth spurt or something that is beyond your control.

Yes, but different people can have different perceptions of where a ceiling is for a given player. For example, Tubby clearly thought Oto had a much higher ceiling and was a more capable shooter than most gophers fans on these boards. Now if Oto goes out and magically performs to the level Tubby thought he was capable of, becomes a starter and a major 3-point threat, he will have raised the perceived ceiling most of us had of him. This would not be from a growth spurt but hard work. He would have played up to his perceived ceiling according to Tubby, but raised it to the rest of us. Then again, I don't see this happening at all. Just an example. It is all about perceptions.

So there is ceiling and then there is the likelyhood that you are capable of reaching that ceiling, for instance Anthony Davis has an incredibly highcieling and fulfilled that ceiling at the college level for what one year is worth, for that reason he was drafted #1, Andre Drummond and Perry Jones have just as high of a ceiling if not higher but the likelihood that they fulfill their ceilings is not as likely as Anthony Davis and as a result they were drafted at 9 and the other as a late first rounder, Rodney Williams has as high of a cieling as anybody in the country but he did nothing to show that he will ever realized that ceiling in 4 years and as a result he is only a projected late second round pick

Top Bottom