ESPN: Replay use expanded in men's hoops; 10-second rule added to women's game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

An NCAA panel voted Monday to expand the use of replay review in college basketball, and instituted the 10-second backcourt rule for the women's game.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel also approved a tweak to the charging-blocking foul in the men's game and gave referees leeway when it comes to penalties for accidentally elbowing an opponent above the shoulders.

The approved changes from the panel's conference call are effective immediately.

Under the replay change, officials can use video review to confirm a shot-clock violation or determine who caused the ball to go out of bounds on a deflection involving two or more players in the final two minutes of regulation or overtime.

Changes also were made for reviewing 3-pointers. For the first 36 minutes of play, officials must wait until the next media timeout to review whether a shot was a 3-point field goal. In the last four minutes of the game and the entire overtime, officials will go to the monitor immediately to determine whether a field goal was a 3.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...pansion-replay-review-rule-changes-ncaa-hoops

Go Gophers!!

These all get a thumbs up from me. Well done NCAA!

The Big Ten was out in front on the review of 3-point baskets. Already were waiting to review 3-pointers until a stoppage in play so as not to mess with game flow.

I'd like to see them start reviewing flopping like the NBA did this year. All-in-all, looks like a reasonably positive set of changes.

Welcome changes, indeed. I felt the charge calls had gone way overboard favoring the moving defender. Maybe we can get back to some level of normalcy on the charge/block situations.

I'd like to see them start reviewing flopping like the NBA did this year. All-in-all, looks like a reasonably positive set of changes.

The issue with doing it in college is that you can't really fine kids you aren't paying, agree with the rule though. Would be nice to cut down on that.

It's easy...If the ref sees a flop, call a fricking T for unsportsmanlike, 2 FT's and ball out of bounds, and get on with the game.

If they get serious about cutting down on the flopping, Coach K will step in and make sure that doesn't happen. When he speaks, everyone cow-tows to Coach Alphabet.

If they get serious about cutting down on the flopping, Coach K will step in and make sure that doesn't happen. When he speaks, everyone cow-tows to Coach Alphabet.

Coach K is the reason for the need of the rule change. As much as I admire his success at Duke, I still think he is an a-hole.

Certainly Coach K has coached some of the best floppers this world has ever seen. Probably not an accident that Duke is the king of the floppers. They're learning it from someone.

Lil' Wojo, Battier, Collins, Paulus. The list goes on & on & on. Maybe LeBron's Olympic experience playing for Coach K helps explain why Bron-Bron is now one of the best floppers of them all?

SS, back in the early '60's in High School, I was a flopper. The refs were smart, they never called a damned thing unless I took a real shoulder to a real chest. I was a 5'10" skinny guard in the lane on defense, taking elbows and shoulders to my chest from 6'3" ballers who laid one into ya. If I did not take a backwards full somersault, I never got a call, and the refs let the game go on with no call. Those were the days, my friend, We thought they'd never end........

From what I've read about the charge rule change. It gives the offensive player more freedom. Instead of just having to be set before the player jumps.... now you have to be set before the offensive player makes his move towards the basket or to pass. I think they're trying to encourage players to play more like the game used to be played (move feet and contest shot) instead of everyone trying to just draw charges .I'ts also a move by the NCAA to increase scoring. In an article i remember reading from bleacher report scoring had been steadily decreasing for a little while and was the lowest in 30 years last season. Good rule changes wouldn't doubt if next year they drop a few seconds off the shot clock. If that were to happen it should benefit us.....GO GOPHS

Heres the article from bleacher report talking about the scoring issues http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1555317-why-is-scoring-down-in-college-basketball

Heres one explaning the rule change....http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ck-charge-calls-elbowing-fouls-monitor-replay

. ... wouldn't doubt if next year they drop a few seconds off the shot clock. If that were to happen it should benefit us.....GO GOPHS

Already been announced that the shot clock will stay the same next season.

Cutting down on the flopping and getting rid of the stupid delays caused by the elbow rule are good places to start. Next step? Only players should be allowed to call time outs. Make the players think on their feet (or hear or establish eye contact with their coach) instead of allowing the multi-millionaire micromanagers to bail out their players time after time.

Cutting down on the flopping and getting rid of the stupid delays caused by the elbow rule are good places to start. Next step? Only players should be allowed to call time outs. Make the players think on their feet (or hear or establish eye contact with their coach) instead of allowing the multi-millionaire micromanagers to bail their players out time after time.

Love the players only calling time outs. This next idea is going to sound extreme, but basketball is the only sport I can think of where a player is allowed to bail him/herself out of a tough ingame situation by calling a timeout during play. I would much rather them reduce the number of timeouts, and only let them be called at a stoppage (or at least a made basket).

Glad to see. I don't know how in the past, refs expected an offensive player who has already committed to a move/shot to suddenly change their route after a defensive player slides over.

Taking away the 10-second rule in women's b-ball was so stupid to begin with.

Love the players only calling time outs. This next idea is going to sound extreme, but basketball is the only sport I can think of where a player is allowed to bail him/herself out of a tough ingame situation by calling a timeout during play. I would much rather them reduce the number of timeouts, and only let them be called at a stoppage (or at least a made basket).

Would take either change with the timeouts but i agree something should all it does is bail out sloppy offense or punish good defense....another one that i think needs to happen is when you call a timeout in the backcourt you shouldn't get another full 10 seconds....

P.S I know they didn't pass the clock rule for this umcoming year i was refering to next year when the comitte reviews changes again :clap:

....another one that i think needs to happen is when you call a timeout in the backcourt you shouldn't get another full 10 seconds....

That's a good one. Have never understood why the team gets a new 10 seconds. Makes no sense.

I get more restless about the last 3 minutes of a game taking a half hour than I do the occasional missed call. To keep the flow of the game somewhat on track, I would say it is time to dial back the number of time outs if they are going to add in the potential for a bunch of down time for reviews at the end of games. The constant stopping of play bugs me.

Agree that the end of (close) games has become a major eye sore for college basketball. Would love to see the number of time outs cut in half (no more than 2 per half?), but I'm afraid that ship has sailed because of TV. The more breaks there are, the more $$$ they collect from ads.

Glad to see. I don't know how in the past, refs expected an offensive player who has already committed to a move/shot to suddenly change their route after a defensive player slides over.

I think its one of those things that never really needed to be accounted for and then throughout the years the loophole in the rulebook got exposed. Rules now seem a lot more technical.I mean we started with 13 ;) For some reason to me it also feels like refs have a lot less discretion now compared to before because everything they do is being scientifically evaluated.

Agree that the end of (close) games has become a major eye sore for college basketball. Would love to see the number of time outs cut in half (no more than 2 per half?), but I'm afraid that ship has sailed because of TV. The more breaks there are, the more $$$ they collect from ads.

Yea agreed.... I would say maybe you could give the teams a certain number of timeouts during the game (they could only use these timeouts when the clock is stopped) and then you give each team 2 timeouts for the final 5 minutes of the game regardless how many they have saved up..... It wouldn't eliminate the problem completely but i think it would help

In the last 5 minutes, The team behind in the score can call a time out anytime. The Team ahead in the score can not call a time out except during a dead ball period. Keep the game moving.

I like the block vs. charge change.

Everything else (focus on calling certain fouls; expansion of replay - including the elbow rule) looks like it will have the impact of slowing the game down more.

These refs better not be stopping the game often to check on 2 vs. 3-pointers late in games. The double-checks (at media time outs for the first 36 minutes and immediately from there on) are supposed to be when THE REFS "have a question" on it. Hopefully it's rarely used... I fear close games where they start checking every basket anywhere near the 3-point line.

The expanded use of replay on high-elbow and potentially high-elbow contact could be a flow-interrupter as well. Maybe I'm dreaming this up, but I thought a lot of times last season these elbow-above-the-shoulder calls were made after play stopped for something else.. and then the refs went to the monitor. In that scenario going forward, I think* the only options are flagrant 1, 2 or no call.

This would differ from if a whistle is blown on a (potential) foul. At that point they can go to the monitor and call it a flagrant 1, 2, no call.. OR a common foul.

If my understanding isn't all hosed up (which it might be, have glazed over the NCAA's release on this), the risk is on the delayed calls if there's any contact a flagrant will still be called.. which is what I thought they were trying to reduce... and if refs think* there might have been elbow contact above the shoulders... they may tend to blow the whistle and spend time on the sidelines looking at video... since they'd have more options (i.e., could also call a common foul).

Cutting down on the flopping and getting rid of the stupid delays caused by the elbow rule are good places to start. Next step? Only players should be allowed to call time outs. Make the players think on their feet (or hear or establish eye contact with their coach) instead of allowing the multi-millionaire micromanagers to bail out their players time after time.

Speaking of, it would be nice if the refs actually enforced the boundaries for the coaches during play. The league has a few who think nothing of going onto the court during play.

Not if companies stop buying them or pay less for them. Companies have heard of DVRs too. I rarely watch a game on TV fully "live" anymore. Makes the end of games much more tolerable. Not to mention, they lose the fringe fan with the constant stoppages.

The rules of basketball, with regards to flow, are enough to drive a hockey fan insane as it is. You completely lose them with the ridiculousness at the end of games. And, these new rules - despite correcting errors - will make it worse for flow - and change the game in another way - quick inbounds plays may be stopped - this will affect teams that run. Like ours.

I'm glad they left the shot clock alone. I know Wisconsin uses it to subject us all to horrible basketball, but I'm against anything that makes NCAA basketball more like the NBA. I agree on the TO change.

If you want to increase scoring and pace of the game start calling body fouls. College BB has become football on hardwood.

Top Bottom