Chip Scoggins column: Not-So-Big Mo sheds 40 pounds, hopes to gain a career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

After showing up on campus weighing 340 pounds and playing at 310 last season, Gophers center Maurice Walker has lost nearly 40 more pounds through diet and fitness training. He hopes to lose an additional 15 to 20 pounds and enter next basketball season around 255.

Walker said he has trimmed one minute off his mile run, posting a personal best of 6 minutes, 45 seconds. And he actually can dunk a basketball now at the end of a workout. Before, he would be too tired for anything more than a layup.

“My mentality is changing,” he said. “I feel more athletic now, so I go up and dunk it.”

Walker loves the way he feels and the comments he receives from teammates about his physical appearance and the way he moves on the court. More than anything, he has given himself a chance to realize his potential as a basketball player. His role in Pitino’s program hinged on it.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/212857061.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

In his athletic 3 guard Offense I'm not sure what we will do with a 255 pound center.

Have him gobble up missed shots for high-percentage put-backs; force defenses to respect low-block scoring threat.

Guard the rim on the back end of the zone press. Split time with EE, particularly in case of foul troubles. Two monsters at center will really help and it's nice to have 10 fouls to give.

In his athletic 3 guard Offense I'm not sure what we will do with a 255 pound center.

That doesn't even make sense. What do 3 athletic guards have to do with a 255 pound center? A lot of teams have 255 pound centers regardless of who their guards are.

if Mo really can come in at 255 that would be amazing. He has a lot of skills and soft hands so he could make a really nice contribution if he truly will come in this fit.

Great to hear glad to hear he's working so hard I give alot of credit to Pitino for pushing him!

It certainly didn't work for Louisville to have a 250 pound power forward average 26 minutes a game last year.

Just goes to show you that even the big fellas are still in good shape- I could probably run a 6 min 45 second mile, but I'd be dying afterward... And I am 100 lbs lighter than Mo. Doesn't mean he won't benefit hugely from the lost weight, though.

That doesn't even make sense. What do 3 athletic guards have to do with a 255 pound center? A lot of teams have 255 pound centers regardless of who their guards are.

If you knew anything about basketball, like Parski does, you would know that if you have a 255 pound center, you also have to have 255 pound guards. Athletic guards don't weight 255 pounds, therefore Mo can't play with athletic guards (let alone 3, can you even imagine?!). You're welcome for breaking down the logic for you.

Great to hear Mo is succeeding in getting into shape. If he continues this and Buggs continues to put on weight, our front court could be a lot better than we were expecting which could propel us into the tourney. Can't wait to see the new Mo in action.

Great to hear Mo is succeeding in getting into shape. If he continues this and Buggs continues to put on weight, our front court could be a lot better than we were expecting which could propel us into the tourney. Can't wait to see the new Mo in action.

Mo could be a big fan favorite this year. Everybody likes a story like this- I know I do. Let's hope he continues to drive forward as he has. It could make a big difference for this team.

This is great news. Not just because Mo is aiming to be down nearly 100 lbs. from when he showed up, which is borderline ridiculous, but because he's obviously driven to make an impact this year. Very encouraging to see a veteran buying in.

He wants to start the season at 255, and will lose more as the season goes. Don't forget he is a big guy so he can't be 210. 255 is very good. I'm sick of all the obese people in this country and here is one hell of a man who isn't going to be a whale like the rest of them.

Mo is a role model

We could see that he has nice hands, a soft touch, good passing skills and good footwork. If he's in good shape he could average 10 and 6.

If you knew anything about basketball, like Parski does, you would know that if you have a 255 pound center, you also have to have 255 pound guards. Athletic guards don't weight 255 pounds, therefore Mo can't play with athletic guards (let alone 3, can you even imagine?!). You're welcome for breaking down the logic for you.

:clap:

Finally someone that translate Parskium for us. You are hereby anointed the Dave Mona of Gopherhole.

He wants to start the season at 255, and will lose more as the season goes. Don't forget he is a big guy so he can't be 210. 255 is very good. I'm sick of all the obese people in this country and here is one hell of a man who isn't going to be a whale like the rest of them.

Mo is a role model

He very well may be a whale once his career is done. So many of these guys(to include all athletes) are in incredible shape cause they have 2-3 workouts a day. They get used to a level of food that is necessary to maintain and they rarely adjust once they stop playing. people like this are not that great of role models because their age and workout regimen are difficult to replicate for your average joe.

It certainly didn't work for Louisville to have a 250 pound power forward average 26 minutes a game last year.

Could also use the example of Mitch McGary (currently 266 lbs.) who played in an athletic 3 guard Offense and looked pretty good towards the end of the year!

A 255 Mo would be a big boon to this team, assuming the skill set is still there matched with the increased stamina and fitness. Low post touch shouldn't go away with the weight.

Keep up the good work Mo!

I agree. And, not to be a wet blanket, but just because you lose weight, doesn't mean you will improve your basketball skills. You need to work on that side of things *at least* as much. That is to say, a lot. You have a long way to go. Not many guys are blessed with your size and skills. Please don't waste it.

I agree. And, not to be a wet blanket, but just because you lose weight, doesn't mean you will improve your basketball skills. You need to work on that side of things *at least* as much. That is to say, a lot. You have a long way to go. Not many guys are blessed with your size and skills. Please don't waste it.

^^^^ Agree ^^^^

Nor does it mean your current skills will deteriorate. Good thing Mo has been skilled all along.

Top Bottom