Kyle Wiltjer is leaving kentucky

schlegs

Reaction score
Dont know if he fits into pitino's system but he's tall and he can shoot

I think he is more likely to go somewhere closer to home (Oregon area)

leaving UK for a smaller school is going to be a huge pay cut for him. Good luck to the young man

He'd be perfect for Bo Ryan's system. He's super slow, non-athletic, but can shoot 3's.

I agree that Wiltjer likely ends up back in the Northwest with Oregon, Washington, Gonzaga and maybe Boise State as strong possibilities. Though I think Gonzaga may be his likely destination because he reportedly has a good relationship with their PG Kevin Pangos due to their years of playing together through the Canadian National Team system plus they recruited him heavily out of high school and his game actually is quite similar to Kelly Olynyk's before he took his red-shirt.

He was in the top 20 in the nation five star recruit, i remember watching him when he won the mcdonalds all american 3 point shooting contest, he would be a real upgrade from Oto but I doubt we get him, but he would fit the system since it seems like pitino, likes stretch European type 4s that can shoot the 3 and spread the floor like joey king, wiltjer can run the floor good as well, his face also makes him looked like a toddler, it's a lot worse then Rodney

He was in the top 20 in the nation five star recruit, i remember watching him when he won the mcdonalds all american 3 point shooting contest, he would be a real upgrade from Oto but I doubt we get him, but he would fit the system since it seems like pitino, likes stretch European type 4s that can shoot the 3 and spread the floor like joey king, wiltjer can run the floor good as well, his face also makes him looked like a toddler, it's a lot worse then Rodney

Not sure about Wiltjer running the floor well. He's about as slow of a player you can find at his weight.

John Calipari may be welcoming him back publicly, but privately he has to be turning cartwheels with another scholarship opening to throw at another 1 & done prospect for 2014. But the NBA wannabe crowd of recruits that love UK aren't paying any attention to how Wiltjer has failed to reach his personal goals there and the NIT loss to Bobby Mo, or else the prepaid debit cards from the UK boosters are more important.

This makes sense, for him. He was going to lose playing time. Why not transfer, spend a year getting stronger/smarter/better and then have a year to become a first rounder? My money is on Gonzaga- I saw someone mention Olynick (sp) as a possible comparison and this seems similar.

No chance this will (or should) affect recruits thought processes when it comes to KY and Cal. 3 of the last 5 #1 picks (4 of 6 if Noel goes first this year), etc, etc. Why should they care about this one kid and a random loss in the NIT? Come next year, when they're in the top ten all year, all will be forgotten. If I was a definite one-and-done type of kid, it'd be hard to think of a better spot.

Not sure about Wiltjer running the floor well. He's about as slow of a player you can find at his weight.

he is slow but that is on defense, he always gets beat off the dribble, that is where he is slow, but as for running the court that is more of a cardio/endurance stamina thing and i am sure he has plenty of that with him being so skinny

he is slow but that is on defense, he always gets beat off the dribble, that is where he is slow, but as for running the court that is more of a cardio/endurance stamina thing and i am sure he has plenty of that with him being so skinny

He's slow in every scenario, because he is slow. Defense is the biggest concern though and where it hurts him the most. I think Pitino would like him offensively, but he would struggle in the press quite a bit. No way we get him anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

He's slow in every scenario, because he is slow. Defense is the biggest concern though and where it hurts him the most. I think Pitino would like him offensively, but he would struggle in the press quite a bit. No way we get him anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

That's right!

@goodmanespn: Kentucky transfer Kyle Wiltjer visited Gonzaga yesterday and today, source told ESPN. Leaves tomorrow to rejoin Canadian National Team.

Go Gophers!!

This makes sense, for him. He was going to lose playing time. Why not transfer, spend a year getting stronger/smarter/better and then have a year to become a first rounder? My money is on Gonzaga- I saw someone mention Olynick (sp) as a possible comparison and this seems similar.

No chance this will (or should) affect recruits thought processes when it comes to KY and Cal. 3 of the last 5 #1 picks (4 of 6 if Noel goes first this year), etc, etc. Why should they care about this one kid and a random loss in the NIT? Come next year, when they're in the top ten all year, all will be forgotten. If I was a definite one-and-done type of kid, it'd be hard to think of a better spot.

Now, you know UK has not had 3 of the last 5 #1 picks. They had two. But you really think Calipari is turning players into pros? They were pros already. All he does is ferry them across their one year of college. Clearly Noel did not get picked #1, in spite of expectations - was that due to Calipari's poor coaching? No. Just silly to think Calipari has some magical property to make guys into pros.

Food for thought - Calipari also got Amare Stoudemire and Kendrick Perkins to commit to Memphis. Both skipped college altogether and Calipari's tutelage and have managed to have long, successful NBA careers in spite of the "loss" of Cal's coaching.

Top Bottom