What bar around campus will have the best pre-game atmosphere next year?

What bar will have the best pre-game atmosphere next year?

• Sally's

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Blarney Pub and Grill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Big 10

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • The Library

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Stub & Herb's

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inigo Montoya

Reaction score
Feel free to nominate another. Anyone have updates as to what steps the bars / restaurants are taking to prepare for the return of football to campus?

Whatever place has enough room to put up a tent

Probably Hooters at MOA

Pre-game atmosphere, on many weekends, will equate directly to outdoor beer gardens IMHO.

I know Stub and Herb's is planning to set up a beer garden in their parking lot for game day.

I have to think the parking lot next to Sally's becomes a giant beer garden, and with their space (if other businesses allow them to rent it) would be the biggest of its kind in the immediate stadium area.

Big 10 really has no where to set anything up outside their bar.

Compare these atmosphere's to Dinkytown, where the bars may be bumping but there's little to no room for an outdoor set up the way these bars have. I suppose Library may work a deal to use the small lot behind their bar for something.

In the case of Blarney's, they don't really have any space in addition to their "Paddy O" in the alley, which hardly creates a good beer garden (esp. since it's fenced in from the sidewalk).

Anyway, a lot of jabbering here, but my money is on the Stadium Village bars to have the best beer gardens/atmosphere pre-game.

Here's a little gem that probably not many people have thought of for pre-game. Paninos is located literally in the shadow of the new stadium google maps link. It's a small place but they have good food and...(drumroll)...a liquor license!!

Another often overlooked place is Leaning Tower. New(ish), nice bar, seating, outdoor covered front porch area, w/solid food & great thin crust pizza.

Station 19

If Station 19 was still a bar, that would be hands down the best place for pre-game atmosphere. That bar had a great layout inside with the basement and main level as well as the patio space outside by the big doors. Plus it is just a stone's throw from TCF, Mariucci and the Barn. Anyone know if there are plans to change it back to a bar? That being said, my vote is for Stub and Herb's. Great location and much improved with the new ownership.

Sally's is the champ. Stub & Herb's is a dump. The only people that go to Stub & Herbs are the people that couldn't get in to Sally's because they carded or people that went to the U of M in the 60's and 70's before Sally's was open. Please, go to St-erb's so that there is more room for me at Sally's.

The other bar not yet discussed is Burrito Loco on 13th Ave. in Dinkytown (next to The Library).

The city of Minneapolis should block off Oak Street in Stadium Village to accomodate a street party of some sort--sort of like the plaza at the Dome. The street is not a main artery and can easily be navigated around.

I would also consider blocking off 13th Ave. in Dinkytown. When I was in school they held Spring Jam over there and it doesn't interrupt the traffic at all because 13th Ave gets cut off at 5th (it's only one block long from 4th to 5th). To me it was the true starting point of the '02 Dinkytown Hockey riots because everyone poured out of The Library and just stood in the street singing the rouser. If the cops were smart they would have contained it to that street and let people celebrate and sing the rouser. Instead they came with riot gear and tear gas to break up what wasn't a problem. It turns out drunk college kids get pissed when they go from celebrating to coughing up pepper spray.

Sorry, long rant that went a little off topic.

If Station 19 was still a bar, that would be hands down the best place for pre-game atmosphere. That bar had a great layout inside with the basement and main level as well as the patio space outside by the big doors. Plus it is just a stone's throw from TCF, Mariucci and the Barn. Anyone know if there are plans to change it back to a bar? That being said, my vote is for Stub and Herb's. Great location and much improved with the new ownership.

Bring back Sparky's!!!!

Ah the memories, that was the first bar I went to underage.

I think the lease for Station 19 is held by an architecture firm and a law firm right now. The owners of the building did not like the treatment that the building was receiving with bar on the first floor. I don't see it changing back to a bar anytime soon but it would be a great location.

Haven't decided yet if on opening day I'll be at Sterb's or Sally's. I love the Sterb's charm, but love Sally's wings (and televisions and waitresses). My decision will probably come down to whoever has the best tent set-up.

I'm not a big fan but Applebee's is always packed on basketball/hockey game days.

Also, Campus Pizza is another small place in stadium village that has a liquor license.

campus pizza is also moving across the street to a larger location. anybody know if theyre putting in a full bar or anything?

Grunkiejr, you probably haven't been to Stub & Herbs in the last 14 months.

The new owners have cleaned the place up, and might have the best beer selection in the campus area.

The proximity will make Stub & Herbs the winner.

Perry's Pizza

Whoo hoo! Cheap pizza and easy to get beer when you're 20.

Boycott stub and herbs.

I would hope no Minnesota sports fan of any kind would EVER spend a single dollar in Stub and Herbs. The owner of this place tried to run for Governor when the Gophers and Twins were trying to get stadiums. Her platform? One issue- stop any sports stadiums from being built for any Minnesota teams. Look it up. When I went to the U this place was sweet- now it's a total joke. Hope this helps.

This thread is getting me pumped up. How awesome will it be to walk through stadium village to the game through a sea of maroon and gold??

Unfortunately, Station 19 will not be a bar again unless the current owners sell. Does anyone know what they are going to do with the island of land across the street from the open end of the stadium?

That land is part of the Station 19 property/ lot or

This thread is getting me pumped up. How awesome will it be to walk through stadium village to the game through a sea of maroon and gold??

Unfortunately, Station 19 will not be a bar again unless the current owners sell. Does anyone know what they are going to do with the island of land across the street from the open end of the stadium?

former Oak Street that will most likely be a plaza of some sort by Williams Arena. My guess is that the U of M and the City traded the land where the new Oak Street is, with the U now owning the former street in front of Williams Arena.

I am shocked the owners of Station 19 did not at least build a fancy deck on top of that new addition for game day private parties.

I'd put a Stella's/ Drink Uptown/ Wrigleyville style deck on top of that place at any price if I owned it.

I would hope no Minnesota sports fan of any kind would EVER spend a single dollar in Stub and Herbs. The owner of this place tried to run for Governor when the Gophers and Twins were trying to get stadiums. Her platform? One issue- stop any sports stadiums from being built for any Minnesota teams. Look it up. When I went to the U this place was sweet- now it's a total joke. Hope this helps.

Smokin's Sue has been gone for over a year. Stub and Herb's is under new management and I have heard it is much improved.

Her platform? I thought Stub and Herbs was run by two guys.

Grunkiejr, you probably haven't been to Stub & Herbs in the last 14 months.

The new owners have cleaned the place up, and might have the best beer selection in the campus area.

The proximity will make Stub & Herbs the winner.

Ski U Mah, you judged correctly. I stopped going to Sterbs years ago while I was still in school. It may be improved but I don't know how it could ever compare to Sally's. The food is actually amazingly good bar food considering it is on a college campus, the beer selection is good, and the waitresses...well, they're nice!!! Everybody I graduated with (2002) will go to Sally's so that is where I'm going to be going even if The Library and Sterbs are no longer dumps like they were when I graduated. Location wise they're not even a block apart so that doesn't concern me.

Honestly, I'll probably try to take advantage of having been in a fraternity which seems like it could be the best pregame experience. The location of all the fraternities can't be beat. I can't wait to sit outside on the porch until the band walks by on University and we follow them in to the stadium. Gopher Football back on campus!!!

Sue Jeffers isn't the owner anymore, she sold to a group who are real Gopher fans and have done a good job cleaning the place up and are doing great things with the beer selection. I'm still a Sally's/Big10 guy more than Sterbs but anyone who hasn't been in there for awhile should give it a another shot. They will definitely not be hurting for business on game days.

I can hardly tell Sally's is even a college bar when I'm in there. I don't think they have a single piece of Minnesota memorabilia.

Even Applebee's has Minnesota stuff on the wall.

Sally's and Bigten for me, it would be nice for some outside tents and beer gardens it will be too packed inside.

I choose a tailgate but it's not an option.

I never liked Sally's from the first time I went in there. Sure they've taken their share of my money over the years, but I never liked going in there.

Burrito Loco is the one place in Dinkytown with the adjacent room to do a big beer garden.

However, I won't be worried about it as I will be in a bona fide tailgate.

WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

Smokin's Sue has been gone for over a year. Stub and Herb's is under new management and I have heard it is much improved.

Thanks for the update. First the Fat Boys break up and now this. Wow. Stub & Herbs was by far my favorite place until that rag got a hold of the place. Remember when they had the different burgers named after the different Big 10 teams? Man the chow was good in that place back then. SWEET. SWEET. SWEET.

Wow--this talk of Stub and Herb's being "cleaned up" has caught my interest. I have not been in there in over a year. I must admit it was a dump! It looked like they hadn't done a thing to it since my days a the U.

When I was at the U "79-82" it was great to go in Sterbs after basketball games and sometimes catch a glimpse of Kevin McHale after another Gopher victory.

I will now have to go back and see just what the new owners have done to it.

Top Bottom