GopherSports: Summer Video Vault: 1982 Gopher Men's Basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

The 1981-82 campaign proved to be one of the most memorable in Minnesota basketball history. Led by some of the greatest players to don the Maroon and Gold, Jim Dutcher's team spent the majority of the season ranked in the top 10 in the nation en route to a Big Ten Championship.

Video highlights of the season:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061713aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Great video; thanks for that. Couple of things:

-mind boggling to think how many points Tucker would have scored with the 3 point line
-woulda coulda shoulda on this team if Mark Hall would have kept his act together
-multiple OT game in Iowa City was when I fell in love with Gopher BB. That game was more important than the OSU game in terms of the Big Ten title that year, IMHO. Daryl Mitchell was ice at the free throw line

-multiple OT game in Iowa City was when I fell in love with Gopher BB. That game was more important than the OSU game in terms of the Big Ten title that year, IMHO. Daryl Mitchell was ice at the free throw line

One of my favorite all-time Gopher games. I was at a St. Olaf basketball game at Skoglund Center that day (or was it to watch a good friend swim at the Missota Conference meet?), and they had the Gopher game on TV out in the foyer. Funny, I don't remember anything about the Ole game/swim meet that day, but I certainly remember watching Mitchell's clutch free throws on that TV like it was yesterday.

Game also gives me a Steve Carfino flashback.

Fun video. Utterly weird segment on the "zebras." (You're basically taking part of your season highlight video solely to make fun of the refs? That's just weird). Kitschy music, appropriate for the time (jazz version of Chariots of Fire, lol).

Seemed like they didn't have any highlights from the road games, so no footage of the 3OT thriller at Iowa or Mitchell's game winning FTs at Purdue.

It didn't seem boring at the time, but comparing it now to today's game, the game back then sure seemed boring with no shot clock or 3 point line.

MN used to grow those 7 foot centers just about every year. Haven't seen any in a while though.

Great video; thanks for that. Couple of things:

-mind boggling to think how many points Tucker would have scored with the 3 point line
-woulda coulda shoulda on this team if Mark Hall would have kept his act together

Wow great flashback, the double OT Iowa game is still one of my favorite gopher hoops memories as well.

Top Bottom