Austin Hollins's Dad Lionel Not Renewed As Grizzly Coach

maybe if this happened sooner we could have hired him! what kind of father would give up the opportunity to coach his son on a division 1 level? even if it is for one year

This has a lot to do with John Hollinger's role as VP of Basketball Ops in Memphis. Lionel Hollins is an "old school" guy who makes a lot of his decisions based on the eye test and Hollinger and the new ownership are going all in on building their team through advanced stats. This was evidenced by the Rudy Gay trade which Hollins seemed to hate (but made a ton of sense in analyzing the decision through PER and other advanced stats). Hollins seemed to make decisions often based on more of an eye test than with statistical data to justify those points. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for Memphis, but it's apparent they've gone all in with the approach partially because of their success in building a roster via PER and partially because of the overwhelming amount of success throughout the league using those advanced stats.

It's interesting because Flip seems to be completely lost when it comes to the advanced stats. His quote about advanced stats with Danny B is always quoted on Canishoopus (TWolves Blog) showing how little he knows about these stats. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but the Wolves seem to have an "eye ball guy" in Flip while the rest of the league is moving away from these guys.

On a completely different note, does anyone else think it's funny that Andre Hollins looks exactly like a younger Lionel Hollins while Austin Hollins is his kid?

Well it's a good thing that Austin Hollins didn't become a walk on for Trent Lockett to come last year. Someone might be a little short on funds :p

I kid... Lionel will be hired somewhere else in a week.

Well it's a good thing that Austin Hollins didn't become a walk on for Trent Lockett to come last year. Someone might be a little short on funds :p

I kid... Lionel will be hired somewhere else in a week.

agreed. lionel definitely won't be out of work for long.

Based on his quotes earlier this year, I don't think Lionel Hollins will be coaching in college any time soon:

Hollins was asked if he was hoping to find a TV to catch some of his son's game.

"I'm not," he said. "I don't watch him play."

Because? "I don't like college basketball," he said.

Hollins paused for a second, and you wondered if he was getting ready to couch that remark. Not really.

"He was my son in high school and I didn't watch him then, either," Hollins said. "When I was out of basketball, I went to every game. I hated it. But I had to do it."

Lionel mentioned that he coached Austin a couple of times in youth basketball, so it wasn't like he ignored his son as a player. As for those thoughts on the college game, well ...

"It's hard to watch college basketball ... There's not a lot of playing," he said. "The pro game, with the 24-second clock, moving up and down the court, you get at least 100 possessions every game.

"In college, especially in the Big Ten ... I watched Wisconsin and Minnesota play down the stretch and I couldn't take it. They just hold the ball and hold the ball, and try to get a shot with 10 seconds on the clock.

"That's the whole game -- not just the fourth quarter."

The "fourth quarter" reference confirmed that Lionel's attention to the college game has waned.​

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/115157054.html?refer=y

Based on his quotes earlier this year, I don't think Lionel Hollins will be coaching in college any time soon:

Hollins was asked if he was hoping to find a TV to catch some of his son's game.

Hollins paused for a second, and you wondered if he was getting ready to couch that remark. Not really.

"He was my son in high school and I didn't watch him then, either," Hollins said. "When I was out of basketball, I went to every game. I hated it. But I had to do it."

Lionel mentioned that he coached Austin a couple of times in youth basketball, so it wasn't like he ignored his son as a player. As for those thoughts on the college game, well ...

"It's hard to watch college basketball ... There's not a lot of playing," he said. "The pro game, with the 24-second clock, moving up and down the court, you get at least 100 possessions every game.

"In college, especially in the Big Ten ... I watched Wisconsin and Minnesota play down the stretch and I couldn't take it. They just hold the ball and hold the ball, and try to get a shot with 10 seconds on the clock.

The "fourth quarter" reference confirmed that Lionel's attention to the college game has waned.​

I hate pro ball because of the players and style of play. That said, it can be frustrating at times watching college ball. Hopefully Ricco and the boys can make it fun again starting this year!

What is really interesting is that Lionel was basically shown the door because of his inability/lack of knowledge when it comes to advanced stats and the ability to coach/lead a team around that thought process. The GM of the Grizz is all about advanced stats and its been quite public that this move was going to happen at the end of the year based solely on personnel and strategy around stats rather than gut feel and being a good seasoned coach.

Sad for a man of the game to be allowed to walk away despite success.

Lionel is a curmudgeon not doubt. But a great coach. You watch him on the sideline he is a no nonsense old school guy actually a little like Tubby.He will have a headcoaching job in a year or less. I don't get his remarks regarding Austin however. Suck it up and watch his games for heavens sake. It's not like he's watching him play cricket. The guy is a basketball coach how hard is it to watch a little basketball at any level?

What is really interesting is that Lionel was basically shown the door because of his inability/lack of knowledge when it comes to advanced stats and the ability to coach/lead a team around that thought process. The GM of the Grizz is all about advanced stats and its been quite public that this move was going to happen at the end of the year based solely on personnel and strategy around stats rather than gut feel and being a good seasoned coach.

Sad for a man of the game to be allowed to walk away despite success.

Yeah, that's what I talked about in my last long winded posting. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. . . so many teams are moving towards the advanced stats in lieu of the seasoned coach/scout's opinions for building teams.

Lionel sounds like a dick.

Yeah, seemed a little odd.

Could you imagine his reaction if he had a girl who played soccer? "I hate this, Manchester United is so much better than these girls."
If he had a kid in band? A dance recital?

Those quotes are a couple years old.

It doesn't really sound like he would have changed his opinion.

He said he hated watching his son play high school basketball too.

A person has a right to change his mind. When I was under 21, I hated beer. For the last 47 years my mind has been changed.

I think you inverted the "2" and the "1".

You are probably right. But an older man like me does have lapses in memory, ya know.

OK, how is this? When I was under 12, I hated beer. For the last 56 years my mind has been changed. My good old Uncle Gordy introduced me to it with his "In the barn home brew."

Top Bottom