Gilbert Arenas takes shots at Gopher program, calls us a "small program"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
At least he also takes a shot at Milwaukee!

Gilbert Insults Minnesota Basketball
Do not believe those promises that Gilbert Arenas will be a quiet, boring, non-headline making man during his low-key comeback. Already this week he has:

* Taken an entirely witty and probably deserved but still impolitic shot at his younger teammates, telling Mike Wise "We got rid of veterans every year, and we're bringing in kids. We kept getting draft picks. We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood."

* Promised not to address the media for the remainder of the season, just before addressing the media on three out of four days.

* Contradicted his coach on his upcoming playing plan, saying that he might play against Memphis 15 minutes after interim coach Ed Tapscott said Arenas would sit.

* Made a recommendation for an Arizona basketball coaching hire, while taking a shot at both interim coach Russ Pennell and the Minnesota program. Here's what Gil told the Daily Wildcat about Lute Olson:

"I'm a Coach O guy. Once he decided he was going to take a leave of absence, I decided we can't watch right now because it's going to be a struggle...They need to get a great, powerful coach that can get recruits. That's what Arizona was good at. Everybody's backing out, so we have to go after a strong, strong coach....

"I heard [Minnesota's] Tubby Smith was out there. That would be great. Other than that, unless you get a coach from the NBA, one of these assistant coaches that has a big name, you have to go after someone like Tubby Smith to see if you can push him away from the small program he's at."

Of course, the small program Tubby's at plays in a league that got more berths than Arizona's and sent more teams to the Final Four. Tubby's small-time team also got a higher seed than the Wildcats, but no matter. Oh! Almost forgot. Gil also took another shot at Milwaukee, when asked about the Richard Jefferson trade. "I just laughed when he was traded to Milwaukee," Gilbert said. "That's funny to me."

Gilbert also told the paper he put Arizona into his Final Four. A 12 seed reaching the Final Four is about as likely as Gilbert Arenas playing two weeks without saying something absurd. I'm in favor of both.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/03/gilbert_insults_minnesota_bask.html

Go Gophers!!

The NBA needs more Gilbert Arenas'. I can understand being upset at his swipes at Minnesota (I would be as well) but the NBA needs a character like Gilbert. He's a strange hombre but constantly brings it. Barkley was the same way and I adore Sir Charles.

Maybe he thinks that because we survive heat AND frigid cold that we must have a small program, but because Arizona barely made it into the show they are a powerhouse.

How Did Arenas Have Time For This Interview?

With all that time he is supposed to be devoting to co-authoring that book on astrophysics with Stephen Hawking?

:rolleyes:

How can you get mad at Gilbert Arenas? Dude is hilarious, always speaks his mind, is genuinly intelligent, but is genuinly nutty as well. Great combination for entertainment

I'm not mad at Gilbert, you really can't take him seriously. I'd never want him on my team. While its true he can take over games at times, he's awfully selfish, bashes teammates, is constantly injured, and takes a ton of bad shots

You can't take anyone seriously who gave themselves there own nickname.

Gilbert is a fraud anyway. He should call himself "The Bank" cuz the man continues to basically steal from a D.C. team like an american bank does from our team of congress! He plays less than a guy he calls "a project" and his team sucks, but all he can do is whine and go off to get attention. He has game and is exciting to watch....IF you happen to be at one of his 5 games he plays in every year. I got one thing to say to Mr. Hibachi, stop spending so much time at Benihana and be a leader on the court.
:cool03:

Arenas thinks very highly of himself and of any team that he's been a part of. All of which is fine if he had actually achieved something during either his college or pro career. I don't particularly care if he thinks we're a small program or not.

The bottom line is this: For a guy that thinks of himself as highly as he does, you would think he had actually done something worth noting in his career. But alas, he hasn't. He's the ultimate salesman: Look how many points I score, therefore I must be great. Unfortunately, he's never won a thing and never will. He's always had a very high opinion of himself and his intelligence, which is his first problem, considering what he's displayed during his phony career so far. In that regard, he's just like the rest of the NBA: overpaid, overhyped and ultimately, a waste of any intelligent person's time.

Let's be honest about it. In comparison to Arizona we are a "small program" (not how I'd phrase it, but I know what Arenas meant). The great thing is, if Tubby sticks around for awhile, perhaps in a few years Arizona will be a "small program" in comparison to us. That was the idea when we hired Tubby, to become a legitimate, top-tier program. We're not there yet, but I certainly like where we're headed. Arizona, on the other hand, is in flux & who knows if their next coach (Few, Dixon?) will come anywhere near duplicating what Lute Olson accomplished in the desert.

:cool02:Who cares what Arenas has to say about anything? I for one love college basketball but I can't stand the NBA.

Who is Gilbert Arenas and what does he know about anything?

What's the NBA?

I live a sheltered life up here.

I wonder how Gilbert will feel if word out of Arizona that the Wildcats are on the verge of hiring Mark Few is true.

Should be an interesting situation, considering he has coached a very successful program at a "small" school. ;)

Top Bottom