How would you use our scholarships for the 2014 class?

howieramone

Reaction score
We currently have 4 scholarships available for the 2014 class. Depending upon if Oto and Huge Mo graduate and/or transfer after the season we may have an additional 2 available. How should Coach P. and staff use them?

Fall
1. Vaughn
2. Travis
3. a center
4. Macura or Cohen

Spring
5. a point guard
6. ????

This would leave us with 3 scholarships for the 2015 class.

If Pitino can land Travis, Vaughn and Cohen everyone should be impressed. I think Pitino will also bring in a player from the east coast with his connections there.

I would like to see Vaughn, Travis, Macura, and Cohen. I am fine with not adding a center in this class especially if Pitino feels good about his chances with Illikanen.

first two scholarships go to the first two good players that want them.. and then Hold two for vaughn and travis

1.Vaughn
2. Travis
3. one of the east coast kids or cohen
4. one of the east coast kids or cohen

Here is my hope for the recruiting class.

Homerun
PG Josh Perkins
SG Rashad Vaughn
PF Reid Travis
C Goodluck Okonoboh

Very Good
PG Kaleb Joseph
SG Isaiah Whitehead
SF Marial Shayok
PF Abdul Malik Abu

Solid
PG Sandy Cohen
SG JP Macura
SF Terry Larrier
PF Dwayne Foreman

Would much rather have group 1 or 2 or any combo of the two, but I would be ok with group 3. It will be interesting to see what kind of magic Pitino can come up with.

first two scholarships go to the first two good players that want them.. and then Hold two for vaughn and travis

1.Vaughn
2. Travis
3. one of the east coast kids or cohen
4. one of the east coast kids or cohen

I would like to see two bigs and two guards

Reid
White/Abu
Vaughn
Perkins (being some have suggested that he and Vaughn would like to play together)

Then if scholarships are available adding Cohen or Whitehead. Whitehead is a dream, but with this brand of basketball he would be a great fit.

Here is my hope for the recruiting class.

Homerun
PG Josh Perkins
SG Rashad Vaughn
PF Reid Travis
C Goodluck Okonoboh

Very Good
PG Kaleb Joseph
SG Isaiah Whitehead
SF Marial Shayok
PF Abdul Malik Abu

Solid
PG Sandy Cohen
SG JP Macura
SF Terry Larrier
PF Dwayne Foreman

Would much rather have group 1 or 2 or any combo of the two, but I would be ok with group 3. It will be interesting to see what kind of magic Pitino can come up with.

I would be more than happy with your "solid" group. All our top 150ish players.

How do I wish we could spend them (realistically, kinda)
1) Perkins
2) Vaughn
3) Travis
4) Terry Larrier

Now how do I think it will turn out:
1) Larrier
2) Travis
3) JP Macura
4) Cohen

How do I wish we could spend them (realistically, kinda)
1) Perkins
2) Vaughn
3) Travis
4) Terry Larrier

Now how do I think it will turn out:
1) Larrier
2) Travis
3) JP Macura
4) Cohen

Not sure if this has been discussed, but If Vaughn transfers to Huntington Prep he would be playing with Josh Perkins... I tweeted this a week or so ago, "@ShowtimeMr @JoshPerkins03 both you should play for Huntington next year then ball up for Minnesota the year after! #gophernation" and both Perkins & Vaughn Favorited it. Not that it means anything, but I still thought it was cool that they both read it and liked it enough to click favorite! Go Gophers!

Oto transfers.

1. Vaughn
2. Travis
3. Cohen
4. Perkins
5. Macura

Don't forget Dre might declare as well, but if that happens I would guess we would bank his scholly for 2015 unless there was still a stud PG out there From death clutch post, any combination of 4 or 5 of the players you mentioned in your categories I would be happy with and would be a good coup for the young Pitino. I think 2015 will be more of a statement class because he will be able to show those recuits more of his vision at Minnesota.

Don't forget Dre might declare as well, but if that happens I would guess we would bank his scholly for 2015 unless there was still a stud PG out there From death clutch post, any combination of 4 or 5 of the players you mentioned in your categories I would be happy with and would be a good coup for the young Pitino. I think 2015 will be more of a statement class because he will be able to show those recuits more of his vision at Minnesota.

I agree with you. Although I don't think it's a smart idea to continually bank scholarships, especially with the 2014 class.

It seems like the real question is whether we'd pick Cohen or Macura if it came down to that one spot. I'd probably go Macura, I think he's the safer bet. He's just such a good shooter that even if he can't do anything else, he can shoot (I'm not saying that's all he can do, just that that skill seems to be a given).

about my previous post i didnt know if perkins had any interest in us.. so i would love to have him in slot 3 or 4. but we have to get out in state kids first except tyus we have no shot at him he has no real interest so we need rashad and travis first..

Declare for what? He will be here for two more years and there is no doubt about that.

PG: Newton or Cohen
SG: Vaughn or Whitehead or Baldwin
PF: Reid or Foreman

Declare for what? He will be here for two more years and there is no doubt about that.

Mid Season of last year he got all the way to number 10 on nbadraft.net for the 2014 mock draft, currently he is 31 for the 2014 mock draft.... I wouldn't be so sure

How do you figure? He's a much better pro prospect than Rickert, and Rickert left after his sophomore year.

And whether he should declare or not is immaterial to whether he can. One could write a pretty lengthy tome about players who made poor early-entry decisions, across all sports.

2014 may be the deepest draft ever. I think Dre would be best suited to stay 4 years.

Hold two spots for:
- Rashad Vaughn
- Tyus Jones
- Reid Travis
- Isaiah Whitehead
- Josh Perkins

Take the first three that our willing to commit from:
- Abdul-Malik Abu
- Jalyn Patterson
- Wade Baldwin
- Kaleb Joseph
- Terry Larrier
- Ja'Quan Newton
- Tyler Ulis
- Dwayne Foreman
- Sandy Cohen
- Marial Shayok
- Austin Williams

Even if we only get the worst five from the latter group, I'd still be happy with our 2014 recruiting class.

Use the scholarships for great players who want to come to Minnesota and work hard.

Top Bottom