UNC starting stud Hairston arrested, and may be in BIG trouble.

I do not think UNC or Hairston will be in any trouble but look out Elizabeth City College, your program may just have ended. (sarcasm intended)

So he has no idea who rented the car, this may erupt into more than just a Hairston problem.

So he has no idea who rented the car, this may erupt into more than just a Hairston problem.

Will it, though? This strikes me as yet another case that is clearly fishy but that the NCAA won't be likely able to find and pin anything that sticks. But we'll see.

If he wants money so bad why didn't he declare?

Nothing will come of it for UNC.

The playing field is clearly slanted in cases with the ncaa rules violations.

Will it, though? This strikes me as yet another case that is clearly fishy but that the NCAA won't be likely able to find and pin anything that sticks. But we'll see.

Yeah, the playbook for thwarting NCAA investigations is pretty simple and often effective. 1) Don't say anything to the NCAA; 2) If you have to talk to the NCAA, deny doing anything wrong/plead ignorance; 3) Avoid legal cases that may involve outside investigation or sworn testimony.

From The United States Goverment Handbook on Scandal Avoidance

Yeah, the playbook for thwarting NCAA investigations is pretty simple and often effective. 1) Don't say anything to the NCAA; 2) If you have to talk to the NCAA, deny doing anything wrong/plead ignorance; 3) Avoid legal cases that may involve outside investigation or sworn testimony.

In the unlikely event that this could come back to bite NC for post season play, there would be a ton of pending recruits who may think about their commitment to NC. Can't but be a favorable event in our hopes for Vaughn.

In the unlikely event that this could come back to bite NC for post season play, there would be a ton of pending recruits who may think about their commitment to NC. Can't but be a favorable event in our hopes for Vaughn.
I doubt it. This will come down on the kid, not the University. And all i twill do is create more playing time for someone else. I doubt it will sway recruits any which way, but then again I tend to think logically and am not 18 any more...

The NCAA has incredibly minimal actual power, and so my guess is that, like you said, they'll just deny deny deny and this will blow over. If they weren't going to get involved over the earlier scandal at UNC, it would seem comical to do so here... (then again, maybe that means they will!)

I doubt it. This will come down on the kid, not the University. And all i twill do is create more playing time for someone else. I doubt it will sway recruits any which way, but then again I tend to think logically and am not 18 any more...

I would agree with you Sparlimb. There is a chance this issue could end up making UNC more attractive to a highly regarded SG or SF recruit (such as Vaughn) because if Hairston gets kicked off the team, then that's an entrenched starter that could've been in school your freshman year taken out of competition for PT, possibly opening up a starting spot for a freshman.

Sorry to have offended your sensibilities Sparelimb. Your youthful impatience and brilliant logic are are obviously the only way to exist in your world.
I was a CPA for 32 years, retired some time ago, and haven't seen 18 for over 50 years. Because of that I guess I'm not allowed to have an errant thought?

Respect your elders pup!

I would agree with you Sparlimb. There is a chance this issue could end up making UNC more attractive to a highly regarded SG or SF recruit (such as Vaughn) because if Hairston gets kicked off the team, then that's an entrenched starter that could've been in school your freshman year taken out of competition for PT, possibly opening up a starting spot for a freshman.

Hairston would have been gone in the draft by then anyway.

Sorry to have offended your sensibilities Sparelimb. Your youthful impatience and brilliant logic are are obviously the only way to exist in your world.
I was a CPA for 32 years, retired some time ago, and haven't seen 18 for over 50 years. Because of that I guess I'm not allowed to have an errant thought?

Respect your elders pup!

What's with the defensiveness? Sparlimb didn't say a single thing that was in any way directed toward you. He was commenting on the fact that in many cases, 17-18 year old kids tend to not think perfectly logically.

The article said the NC police did a "routine license check". Is that code word for "racial profiling"?

The article said the NC police did a "routine license check". Is that code word for "racial profiling"?

Or maybe they just didn't look like they were old enough to be driving a rental car?

Respect your elders pup!

I think the whole "but then again I'm not 18 anymore" comment was in reference to Rashad Vaughn and was not meant as an insult to you.

Ummm, that's called pulling someone over. Or are you saying white folks don't get asked for their license when they get pulled over??? Maybe that's sarcasm...

MN1nAZ said:
Respect your elders pup!
I think the whole "but then again I'm not 18 anymore" comment was in reference to Rashad Vaughn and was not meant as an insult to you.

True dat. I'm just saying what makes sense to me at 42 is often not the same thought process 18 year olds have. So where I may see an opportunity, they see the opposite. Where I see no playing time and coming sanctions, they see a quick route to the pros...

Ummm, that's called pulling someone over. Or are you saying white folks don't get asked for their license when they get pulled over??? Maybe that's sarcasm...

I think his point was that the article doesn't mention anything about why he was pulled over, just that there was a "license check". If I'm not mistaken (which I usually am), stopping a driver without probable cause is illegal in most (all?) states. I would imagine Hairston was pulled over for a valid reason, but I can see why tinyarch is skeptical.

I think his point was that the article doesn't mention anything about why he was pulled over, just that there was a "license check". If I'm not mistaken (which I usually am), stopping a driver without probable cause is illegal in most (all?) states. I would imagine Hairston was pulled over for a valid reason, but I can see why tinyarch is skeptical.

You are mistaken :)

North Carolina is known for setting up "license checkpoints". That is, officers are on site at a stop they've "set up" and can ask for license & registration from drivers and look for motor vehicle violations.

So, Hairston wasn't stopped for a reason specific to him (According to the police... is there profiling that goes on even at checkpoints? Sadly, of course).

Was stopping Hairston allowed by law in this case, even though his vehicle didn't do anything to draw attention to it? Probably.

If I'm his defense attorney I'm doing a number of things including taking a look at how the weed, guns and ammunition were found. At checkpoints officers are generally not allowed to 'snoop' - they are to be looking for motor vehicle violations only. So, if you've got a couple of cops out there and one is asking for license & reg, the other one should not be shining a flashlight down on the floor of the car, etc.

However, if you've got a bag of weed in plain sight, or a cop sees you throwing a gun from the window, you've got issuesd.

But.. in this matter you've got the UNC/NCAA concerns.. and legal issues.. and those two are not the same.

True dat. I'm just saying what makes sense to me at 42 is often not the same thought process 18 year olds have. So where I may see an opportunity, they see the opposite. Where I see no playing time and coming sanctions, they see a quick route to the pros...

Apologies. Bad day.

It doesn't sound like anything is going to become of this, other than having some weed which is probably a misdemeanor no crime was commited, I don't think the possesion of a handgun in a vehicle is illegal in NC even if it is not registered unless the person posessing the gun is a felon, which Hairston is not. The car rental could be an issue but it will get swept under the rug, sounds like a one non conference game suspension to me.

One thing that wasn't discussed on this thread is the checkpoint was in the worst possible area of Durham, an awful city to begin with in terms of drugs and crime. What was he doing in that part of Durham at that time of the day with a gun and a decent amount of weed (possibly enough for a felony I've heard) in his 2013 Chevy Yukon rental car?

One thing that wasn't discussed on this thread is the checkpoint was in the worst possible area of Durham, an awful city to begin with in terms of drugs and crime. What was he doing in that part of Durham at that time of the day with a gun and a decent amount of weed (possibly enough for a felony I've heard) in his 2013 Chevy Yukon rental car?

WHat was he doing?

Simply a misunderstanding.....looking for the streets back to school.

Top Bottom