The Barn tonight

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion here (and rightly so) about the "quietness" of The Barn in the early stages of the season. I'm in the camp with those who believe the biggest culprit has been the steady stream of "non-interesting" non-Big 10 opponents, but the other reasons pointed to certainly have validity as well.

That said, I'll go on record and say (using "Brewspeak" here) without question I'll be extremely, outstandingly surprised and disappointed if the ole' barn doesn't have a little extra bounce in its step at tip-off. Late start (some students will get sauced), part of the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, national TV, all that stuff. This is a game (some would argue only) pre-January that before the season fans could point to as a legitimate home test for the Gophers. I think a lot of that pent-up energy the folks at Williams have been saving will come out in spades tonight.

Would be great to have the Gophers jump on the 'Hoos immediately to ensure the crowd stays involved. I doubt many people outside of Minnesota and Virginia will be watching because of the Duke-Purdue game, but would be nice to show those that do watch that The Barn can be -- and has been -- an intimidating venue.

There really is no excuse not to blow the roof off the place. The students need to set a standard before the game even starts. If the students are chanting lets go gophers, etc, before the game, it goes a long way to signal to the more casual fans that it is a big game, and they too need to step up.

The barn tonight

...will be rocking (I hope).

I bet there will be an extra buzz around tip-off. Unfortunately I have night class until 8:30 and we have a test, so I can't skip, so I'll miss the tip-off. Hopefully they will be a few minutes late to start, and I can sprint to the Barn from the CSci building in record speed, but I doubt it.

It will be. I've been in contact with the Barnyard Board working to get a gameplan together to get the students energized. Hopefully its pays dividends tonight.

The pre-Jan game against Michigan State should also be a good home test. Probably better than tonight's game. I hope that Williams Arena is finally loud as it's a shell of its former self.

We have tickets right next to the student section so we'll be be looking forward to the gameplan. I think if the team comes to play the crowd will be just fine tonight.

I stand corrected

Should have said "pre-Big 10." Not used to the Big 10 season strarting before January.

I just hope that with these bigger conference teams the barn wakes up and we don't have to have gameplans anymore. We feed off of the team and they feed off of us, hopefully we can start strong and finish that way too.

Well, we need to deal with the world as it is and make it the way we want it.

Tonight's game.

I've been interested in the previous games. I am EXCITED for tonight's game.

I'll be in line to get into the student section around 7:15 tonight in hopes of snagging my favorite seat.

I've got the voice for starting chants, so as people trickle in and chants can get rolling, I'll try to get some started while the teams are shooting around.

Barnyard Staff and Associates,

If you're reading this, from a fellow U student and Student Season Ticket Holder, please keep it classy. Some of the chants are getting absolutely outrageous, and not in a positive way. I'm all for giving the other team a hard time (and I try to as much as possible), but some members of the section are acting like badger fans. I know some of these people are on the Gopherhole and I think they know the things I'm talking about without me having to describe the chants. There's a very fine line between clever and idiotic/insulting/embarrassing and some people are crossing it with reckless abandon. I would suggest that if you wouldn't explain what a cheer means to your mother, you should probably yell it at a basketball game. I think we need to realize that we represent the University of Minnesota, the Golden Gophers, the basketball team, Tubby Smith, and all fans past and present. I don't mean to preach to everyone and I realize everyone is just trying to have a good time, but some members are really ruining the experience for a good portion of the student section. Thanks, and GO GOPHERS!,

FarmGopher

Lets get loud enough for the chants to be audible for the compaints start, please?

"'ALL 20 OF US HATE YOU!' -Parkinglotgopher"

Perhaps my finest hour. Heckling was really the only way to pass the time during that terrible '06-07 season. Doing it from a 1/4 full student section was always harrowing too. To this day I can't believe that Courtney Sims didn't jump off the court and strangle me where I stood. His mind was telling him no, but his body, his body was telling him yes.

I'm beginning to rethink the strategy for tonight's game. I'm going to see what happens with involvement tonight, then if it doesn't get amped up we'll try it for the SDSU game. I'm starting to believe its just the weak opponents, we'll see tonight.

"'ALL 20 OF US HATE YOU!' -Parkinglotgopher"

Perhaps my finest hour. Heckling was really the only way to pass the time during that terrible '06-07 season. Doing it from a 1/4 full student section was always harrowing too. To this day I can't believe that Courtney Sims didn't jump off the court and strangle me where I stood. His mind was telling him no, but his body, his body was telling him yes.

LOL! It's ok PLG...I'm sure he don't see nothin wroooonnng...with some little yells and cries.

I also especially enjoyed yelling "Take care of the ball!" at that Santa Clara coach last year. He had that hilarious California slickster vibe and said that quote probably ten times. He even yelled it at the bench to guys who weren't playing.

Top Bottom