Full Recap of Pitino interview on KFAN...talked Hollins', Walker/EE conditioning, etc

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Richard Pitino was on with Justin Gaard. These notes are not verbatim, but close:

Pitino on the Gopher Caravan...It's been great for me for a couple of reasons. First I haven't spent a lot of time in the State of Minnesota. So to get to these other towns and meet all these fans is great. I didn't realize when we took this job how much support we have in this State. It's also great for me to get to know the coaches in the department.

Pitino on what coaches talk about on the bus...I had dinner with Jerry Kill last night and I spent a lot of time with him. Basketball and football cross path's a lot. We talk about old war stories, recruiting, the fan base. Jerry is a great guy and it's fun to hear about the direction he has the program.

Pitino on Andre Hollins on what type of guard he is (PG/SG, etc.)...I think everyone talks about positions because of the NBA standpoint. Andre Hollins can play both positions for us. There is not a real whole lot of difference. I want Andre to make plays as he's one of the better play makers in the Big Ten. We'll put him in a lot of pick and rolls. There's really not a whole lot of difference with our ball handlers.

Pitino on whether the fast place style can work in the Big Ten...
It doesn't concern me too much. It would concern me if I didn't have the right players to play this style. It may not happen right away, but once you get the right type of players in the system it can work against anybody. It's also a bit of a misconception that everyone plays slow in the Big Ten. I don't worry about us playing our style, we just have to get the right players.

Pitino on EE and Walker's conditioning...Elliot came into my office before he went to Italy about the push-up contest. He's been great. He's putting on muscle. His problem is more timing as he just went to Italy. I'm not sure how much working out he'll do there. Mo Walker has been phenomenal and he's doing great. I gave him the option and he really was open to stay and work hard.

Pitino on physical fitness conditioning of his team tips from his Dad...Our new strength coach was my Dad's strength coach at Kentucky. It's very important to us. He understands the way we want to play so he knows how he needs to shape our guys body types. That is extremely important and we had to lure him away from USC.

Pitino on Austin Hollins...Austin is a really good shooter, he's very good at the mid-range game. I want to see him taking guys off the bounce, his play making ability. He has to do that to play at the next level. He's really, really good. He's under-valued nationally.

Pitino on the 3 guys that signed...Deandre Mathieu we were fortunate to get him. He's so fast and so athletic and brings a dimension that we don't have. He's a pure PG and he fits what we're trying to do. He'll be very good with the press. McNeil is a diamond in the rough and we think he's going to be a very good player. Malik Smith has one year for us and he's great for me because he knows what it takes to play for me. He's as good of a shooter in the country. He had a game where he had 8 threes. He set all types of records. The beauty of Malik is he has a short memory.

Pitino on what a good 3 point shooter can do...People obsess over the three-point as its such a momentum changer. Offensively if you are not even shooting a three you can open things up in the paint.

Pitino on upcoming summer schedule...We're in a different situation taking over a new program. Normally you ahve a couple of camps in June. We're only going to have one day camp because we got in so late. Next year we'll have 2-3 camps and we'll do it right. In July we have a couple of evaluation periods. It's a good opportunity to watch 20-30 kids. Come August and September we'll bring in kids for visits.

Go Gophers!!

If we can compete next year and display glimpses of what Ricco is trying to do here, I think we have a shot at some top recruits. Its not about wins and losses...recruits are going to know the score as far as time on campus, but if they can see themselves playing in an up tempo style, fun basketball, pressing defense, they will come here.

I can't wait for the upcoming seasons of FB and BB. Maybe we will start to see a real light at the end of a very long dark tunnel!

Richard Pitino was on with Justin Gaard. These notes are not verbatim, but close:

Pitino on EE and Walker's conditioning...Elliot came into my office before he went to Italy about the push-up contest. He's been great. He's putting on muscle. His problem is more timing as he just went to Italy. I'm not sure how much working out he'll do there. Mo Walker has been phenomenal and he's doing great. I gave him the option and he really was open to stay and work hard.

Go Gophers!!

So he told Walker to get in shape or move on?

No I think he meant he gave him the option of staying in Minnesota for the summer or going home and he was happy that he committed to staying on campus and working at getting in better shape.

No I think he meant he gave him the option of staying in Minnesota for the summer or going home and he was happy that he committed to staying on campus and working at getting in better shape.

This is correct. It was 100% in reference to summer conditioning.

Go Gophers!!

How come he did not mention King? Something to do with rules I presume?

He hasn't technically signed with the gophers yet. That is why no comment on King.

Thanks. I thought maybe it was already official with all the stuff in the media. What's the timing for it to be official?

Believe what Pitino the younger said he told Mo was something like "shape up or ship out" and then he added that Mo knew it was not a serious threat, because Pitino would never lift his scholarship. Pitino did say that he had taken it very well and run with it.

If we can compete next year and display glimpses of what Ricco is trying to do here, I think we have a shot at some top recruits. Its not about wins and losses...recruits are going to know the score as far as time on campus, but if they can see themselves playing in an up tempo style, fun basketball, pressing defense, they will come here.

I can't wait for the upcoming seasons of FB and BB. Maybe we will start to see a real light at the end of a very long dark tunnel!

I think something that I haven't heard yet but is equally important is how Pitino portrays himself on televised games. There is going to be a TON of talk about him during the early season especially ACC challenge and early Big 10 about how he is the new fresh face and new style to the Big 10. If he has any success early it will be huge. He needs to know when the camera is on him and be smiling and interacting with the players to the fullest. Not saying Tubby didn't do that, but lets be honest, he didn't do that. A stark contrast to the prior regime will be a positive conversation piece for recruits and the media will love it.

Thanks. I thought maybe it was already official with all the stuff in the media. What's the timing for it to be official?

The U may comment on King when he has signed (i.e., a written offer of admission and/or financial aid package).

I think something that I haven't heard yet but is equally important is how Pitino portrays himself on televised games. There is going to be a TON of talk about him during the early season especially ACC challenge and early Big 10 about how he is the new fresh face and new style to the Big 10. If he has any success early it will be huge. He needs to know when the camera is on him and be smiling and interacting with the players to the fullest. Not saying Tubby didn't do that, but lets be honest, he didn't do that. A stark contrast to the prior regime will be a positive conversation piece for recruits and the media will love it.

For the last couple years, Tubby basically looked like he was ready to take a nap on the bench.

I don't think he drew a technical all year last year. Not saying that makes a great coach, but how into the game can you be as a coach when you don't draw a single technical in 35 games?

For the last couple years, Tubby basically looked like he was ready to take a nap on the bench.

I don't think he drew a technical all year last year. Not saying that makes a great coach, but how into the game can you be as a coach when you don't draw a single technical in 35 games?

Bashing Orlando, doesn't make Coach P. look better. Time to move on.

Tubby Smith coached in 205 games in six seasons at Minnesota. He was hit with two technicals total for his entire tenure here. One at Ohio State in his inaugural season and one at Wisconsin in year five.

It simply wasn't his style to worry about the officiating. That makes it tough when you have Izzo, Crean, Ryan, and others on the opposite bench. If you ain't beggin', you ain't gettin' in the Big Ten.

How come he did not mention King? Something to do with rules I presume?

He only answered the questions JG prepared for him about specific players, no tangents. It was a good interview.

I don't miss Tub's incoherent ramblings.

He only answered the questions JG prepared for him about specific players, no tangents. It was a good interview.

I don't miss Tub's incoherent ramblings.

Tubby was awesome at talking for a long time while saying absolutley nothing. Always made me laugh. Maybe he should run for office in a year after he is no longer coaching. :)

Tubby Smith coached in 205 games in six seasons at Minnesota. He was hit with two technicals total for his entire tenure here. One at Ohio State in his inaugural season and one at Wisconsin in year five.

It simply wasn't his style to worry about the officiating. That makes it tough when you have Izzo, Crean, Ryan, and others on the opposite bench. If you ain't beggin', you ain't gettin' in the Big Ten.

I agree in college basketball the coach is almost forced to beg because referees allow it. If the other guy is incessantly begging and getting away with it.....you have to. The crowd, your own players expect it. High school coaching isn't always different but it should be because of life lessons or messages to kids.

Pitino interview

Nice to see Austin Hollins get a little love. Austin does not get enough credit nationally or on this board. Just a wonderful all around basketball player that has been consistently one of our best players for 3 years.

Nice to see Austin Hollins get a little love. Austin does not get enough credit nationally or on this board. Just a wonderful all around basketball player that has been consistently one of our best players for 3 years.

I could see him as a mid to late 2nd round pick if he has a good senior season. He needs to become a more consistent 3 point shooter, but he is definately good all around. I could see him averaging over 2 steals a game this year in Pitino's system as well.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree with the younger Pitino. On the radio, TV, etc., he's smooth as butter, just like his dad. He seems exceptionally poised and polished. He's been trained well. Definitely comes across the airwaves smooth as silk. The anti-Brewster, I might say.

I could see him as a mid to late 2nd round pick if he has a good senior season. He needs to become a more consistent 3 point shooter, but he is definately good all around. I could see him averaging over 2 steals a game this year in Pitino's system as well.

I agree with Coach P, #1 thing he needs to do is beat his man off the dribble and become more of a slasher if he wants to be in the NBA. Could see hit happening.

He needs to know when the camera is on him and be smiling and interacting with the players to the fullest. Not saying Tubby didn't do that, but lets be honest, he didn't do that.

Smith_Tubby_070.jpg

0324tubby.jpg

164574627-676x450.jpg

20130122__130123Tubby_300.jpg

Tubby_Smith_31.jpg

20100427__100428Tubby_400.jpg

758903.jpg

20120226_lbm__ah7_031_extra_large_medium.jpg

DSC_4598_0.jpg

Yes...lets [sic] be honest indeed.

Yes...lets [sic] be honest indeed.

Some of those are terrible examples of what I was getting at.....

And lets not go to extremes, obviously there are instances of Tubby talking to players, however, you and I both know he is not known as being the "coach'm up" guy. There is a phrase "the tubby stare" for a reason.

PS dont google that unless you like thick women....

I agree with Coach P, #1 thing he needs to do is beat his man off the dribble and become more of a slasher if he wants to be in the NBA.

Or grow a few inches.

But seriously, Austin was one of those recruits everyone thought wasn't done growing yet, maybe would turn into a Quincy Lewis type player ... but he was listed as 6'4" coming in and he's still listed as 6'4".

The apple didn't fall far from the tree with the younger Pitino. On the radio, TV, etc., he's smooth as butter, just like his dad. He seems exceptionally poised and polished. He's been trained well. Definitely comes across the airwaves smooth as silk. The anti-Brewster, I might say.

I sure hope you're right, SS, but there are some similarities. He's young and still an unproven gamble replacing someone who seemed to have settled. He's casting a wide recruiting net just like Brewster, promising a new and exciting era. I get it's a lot easier to change a program in BB, and I get he has a lot more solid background and pedigree than Brewster. But is he a young coach who is a rising star or is Pitino going to get overwhelmed like Brewster? We really don't know.

However much I felt it was time for a change, I'm still worried. Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin are always tough. Michigan certainly is up there with them now. Illinois is a factor simply because of location. Purdue should bounce back with a pretty good recruiting class, and Iowa seems to be on the upswing. A lot of teams to crawl over. I just hope folks give him enough time.

I'm still excited about the hire, but, damn, being a Gopher fan for over 50 years conditions you to expect the worse. Maybe I wouldn't be so down if young Rich would just stop using the word "great" so much.

Top Bottom