Big Ten adds men's and women's lacrosse as official sports, will add Johns Hopkins

A few months back, Teague said this:

On potentially adding or cutting from the list of 25 Gophers sports teams: "There could be a time that could change, but I think it would be more of an addition than subtraction. ... [Adding lacrosse] is mentioned all the time. We'll look at it, but it doesn't mean it will happen any time soon."

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...4-Teagues-says-U-will-look-at-adding-lacrosse

Go Gophers!!

So next we add Notre Dame as an affiliate member for football now that the door has been opened.?

It does raise eyebrows for the Big Ten to add an affiliate member, but there is a difference between an affiliate member for football and an affiliate member for lacrosse. Teague has expressed interest in adding lacrosse, and there already is club-level lacrosse, so I imagine the club players would move over to the varsity team. This would mean they wouldn't have to start up totally from scratch. Johns Hopkins is an outstanding university, but it is even smaller than Northwestern, so I would be surprised of Johns Hopkins decided to move up to be D-I in all sports.

It looks like affiliates would be single D-1 sport schools.

So how about adding UMD & SCSU for hockey?

It looks like affiliates would be single D-1 sport schools.

So how about adding UMD & SCSU for hockey?
I think if they decided to add members for hockey these two would be looked at but you gotta think UND would be at the top of the want list.

I'd think Miami (OH) would be pretty high on the list if we're talking hockey. They have good academics, which will be a consideration for affiliate members I imagine. UMD, SCSU and UND, with all due respect, don't have that reputation.

I imagine that schools like North Dakota and Miami (Ohio) couldn't be affiliate members for hockey because they are already D-I for other sports. But I think this does set the precedent for adding affiliate hockey members, which would put any of the Minnesota schools in play, along with Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, etc.

I imagine that schools like North Dakota and Miami (Ohio) couldn't be affiliate members for hockey because they are already D-I for other sports. But I think this does set the precedent for adding affiliate hockey members, which would put any of the Minnesota schools in play, along with Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, etc.

Tech would be great. The Big Ten playing for the MacNaughton Cup.

Top Bottom