Where are they now? – John Shasky discusses the Iron Five and his Gopher career

Shasky was always a class act. He improved each year at Minnesota and was really a steady influence. He was a great leader. I remember that Ohio State game like it was yesterday. It was such a huge win and the Iron Five represented The U as well as anyone could.

Still one of the greatest games......

ever played in the barn. The "iron five" defeating Ohio State. Shasky was a "straight arrow," especially compared to some of the knuckleheads on that club (prior to Madison)

I enjoyed the update!

shasky is one of those guys i had only heard about. great interview - his stories were great, thanks for doing these.

I remember when I was a kid I had the media guide with Shasky and Wilson on the cover with parachutes on their back. I met Shasky at a pre-season autograph signing and he signed it and couldn't have been nicer. He spent a lot of time talking with us and showed us a few post moves. Good to see he's had such a nice basketball and professional banking career.

Great article and interview, Rob. Shasky worked hard to become a great college player.

Does anybody know where there is a video of the Iron Five game? It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen at Williams.

Iron Five

The OSU game with the Iron Five would be a great view. This might make teh Big Ten Network worth it. I was at the game and it was intense, but the raw support the fans showed the team before, duirng and after the game displayed what is best about Minnesota fans. The crowd was not going to allow the quality guys like Shasky, Wilson, Hanson and Gafney to get looped in with the trouble makers.

Shasky always had a great perspective. As he was graduating, he mentioned in his retrospective how much he appreciated his family, somehting like, "I like basketball, but I know if it doesn't work, I can go home to a family that cares about me. Ball is the only thing a lot of guys around me have. I am blessed." He understood life at an early age.

I remember him being a speaker at Dutcher's camp down at St Olaf. He sounds like a solid guy and he certainly got the most out his talent as a ball player.

Top Bottom