Sorry Folks, The Worrying Season is Not Over

jamiche

Reaction score
We have a good coach, so we better get used to it.

Memphis and Louisville are both top ten jobs. I have no idea what their recruiting situation looks like. It appears that one or both will be open.

We know that Tubby likes it here, but does he like it here enough not to try to upstage Calipari in the state of Kentucky if Pitino leaves? Does he like it here enough not to leave for a traditionally terrific program at Memphis?

He was never going to VA. Can we say the same about Memphis or Louisville?

Haha...Memphis would never go after anyone that plays half court hoops.

Or defense.

If Cal leaves--look for Anderson from Mizzou to take over at Memphis.

Anderson will go back to SEC and take over Tubbys former Bulldogs!!

Since when is Memphis a top ten job? Traditionally terrific?

We have a good coach, so we better get used to it.

Memphis and Louisville are both top ten jobs. I have no idea what their recruiting situation looks like. It appears that one or both will be open.

We know that Tubby likes it here, but does he like it here enough not to try to upstage Calipari in the state of Kentucky if Pitino leaves? Does he like it here enough not to leave for a traditionally terrific program at Memphis?

He was never going to VA. Can we say the same about Memphis or Louisville?

Can't see Louisville letting Pitino go, not after the run he's had there. Arizona may drop a bunch of money in his lap and make a lucrative offer, but it's going to be very tough to get him out of Louisville imo.

The only other names I've even seen associated with the Arizona job are Jamie Dixon and Mark Few, and its conceivable that Arizona will make a push are one or the other or both sometime soon.

As for Memphis, they have some factors working against them. Namely, their national exposure, which while excellent under Calipari, hasn't traditionally been a strong point due to their conference affiliation. They play in an exceptionally weak league. In fact, the Mountain West, Missouri Valley and Atlantic 10 are all much better leagues than Conference USA.

Will Memphis have some money to throw around? Probably, but there are obvious drawbacks to that job that will make it tough for some big names to consider.

On top of that, Billy Gilliespie is also floating around out there. Nobody may be talking about him, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't land somewhere pretty big himself by the time this process plays out.

Who said anything about Pitino leaving?! He isn't going anywhere. Haven't you heard the man? He is god in Louisville and gets paid.

Not worried about any other job openings. I think Tubby is here for awhile unless Maryland opens up. That's the only one that scares me.

Since when is Memphis a top ten job? Traditionally terrific?

I agree, Memphis is a good job but it is not top 10 or probably even top 15. Tubby is an outstanding coach and I couldn't be happier with him, but I don't expect him to be a candidate for every single open job. Message board speculation is one thing, but I'm not certain that Louisville/Memphis would want Tubby.

Don't you think they would go after a quality coach that is a little younger and sees their job as a final destination. Aren't guys like Mark Few, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Mike Anderson, Jaimie Dixon, etc more likely to be top choices than Tubby?

Even though I think Virginia is a worse job then the U, Tubby expressed interest in the job a few years ago and is friends with the AD (or whatever) so there was some reason to worry, but I don't think that is the case with the Louisville or Memphis job. Now that the Virgina job is filled and Gary Williams isn't going anywhere, I think we are safe.

I don't understand why anyone would entertain the thought of Tubby leaving so soon. Think about it - he's already won a championship. He more or less inherited his championship team at Kentucky, which in itself is (probably) not as rewarding as creating a championship yourself. He wants to see if he can take a mediocre program and turn it into a contender through his own hard work and recruiting. Why would he go somewhere else when he's already starting to see the fruits of his labor and can be remembered as creating something from nothing?

http://cynicalsympathy.wordpress.com

Thanks for your usual ray of sunshime jamiche. Does it ever get old looking at all the possible negatives first?

Thanks for your usual ray of sunshime jamiche. Does it ever get old looking at all the possible negatives first?

I would guess it probably doesn't, seeing as how he supports every piece of drivel Reusse writes regardless of its merits. They seem to be on the same wave length about most sports issues.

Sorry sunshiners, Reusse is pretty good. I guess I left my rose colored glasses at home today. Your apologies will, as always, be graciously accepted when Tubby's name comes up for one or both of these jobs.

If you recall, I was the one who said he was never going to VA when the board was hosting multi page threads on the topic.

Tubby is a great coach. But at his age there is no reason for a program that is already on top to go to him. They can take a young, big name like a Sean Miller,etc and have him fro 10 to 20 years. Tubby is perfect for a job like Minny where his reputation gives credibility to the program. Virginia was shopping for exactly what they needed - they just couldn't get him. Plus he's been in the fish bowl and got out by his own choice. Why go back?

Not worried about any other job openings. I think Tubby is here for awhile unless Maryland opens up. That's the only one that scares me.

I think the Maryland job would be the one he have a hard time turning down. It seems this would be the place he could or would end his career.

IMO, Arizona and Memphis don't seem like good fits for him. Gillespie to Memphis would not be a surprise at all.

It's really funny how confident everyone is that he will stay now, when two days ago, this was a zoo.

Reusse is

Sorry sunshiners, Reusse is pretty good. I guess I left my rose colored glasses at home today. Your apologies will, as always, be graciously accepted when Tubby's name comes up for one or both of these jobs.

If you recall, I was the one who said he was never going to VA when the board was hosting multi page threads on the topic.

Reusse is a BFA. He sucks and adds zero value to life or the world in general. If the fish wrap wants to save money they should fire is big fat worthless butt. I for one stopped reading him years ago.

Tubby will not be here forever. He is here today. He will be here next season. He may be here longer. Who knows?

I think that is great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Build the practice facility ASAP.

It's really funny how confident everyone is that he will stay now, when two days ago, this was a zoo.

I guess for me it was because of the possible personal pulls to VA that had me worried. Tubby was at the very top in Kentucky and chose to come here. I don't think he's looking for the "next big job" to be honest. I think he wants a legacy which we can give him.

However when personal reasons come into play you have no control over those. VA had those pulls - Memphis and Arizona do not. Look at Pitino - he should have gone to Michigan, was most likely going to go to Michigan but loved KY so much he chose Louisville even though he knew the reaction he would get. He made that choice based on personal reasons not just the job IMO.

Root For Maryland

Root for Maryland to have a good season next year. Gary Williams is 64 years old and I hope he has a few years left in him as I too believe Maryland would be the job most likely to draw Tubby away.

I dont intend to let the fact Tubby wont be here forever diminish the fun of having him here today !

Tubby ==> :clap: :clap: :clap:

What makes everybody think...

...Maryland would want Tubby when Williams steps down? Tubby will be at or past 60 when that happens.

Personaly Im sick of lames starting threads about how Tubby might go here might go there. STFU Im not worried about it, if he leaves he leaves. I really think he is happy in the TC's so once again please STFU.

I am also no longer worrying unless the Maryland job opens up, but I agree with Marooned if they are rebuilding they may not be interested in a coach over 60.

I think Mike Dunlap will get one of these jobs. He's one of the top up-and-comers.

If you recall, you were also the one who said the Gophers wouldn't make the tournament after our BTT win. If you recall, you were also the one who said Adrian Peterson wouldn't be that good.

If you recall, you were also the one who said the Gophers wouldn't make the tournament after our BTT win. If you recall, you were also the one who said Adrian Peterson wouldn't be that good.

Maybe Jamiche is, in fact, Fat Pat

The Louisville job is open???

Nah...

Jammer is no Fat Pat. He's a good guy who's a little cynical at time.
C'mon, Jammer - they say April is the cruelest month but can't we please quit worrying about Tubby? Really, as I said in another thread, we're like an insecure lover who keeps asking for reassurance long before that kind of commitment is warranted. "Promise you'll never leave me!"
Geez - I feel like leaving reading this stuff. How many times do you ask one guy about the same job??
Get a little self respect, Minnesota!

I don't think Tubby leaves for Memphis (it's not a top-ten job IMO either) nor, if Pitino leaves, for Louisville.

The only real motivation that Tubby might have to go to Louisville would be to bug the heck out of UK fans. I think he's moved beyond that and whatever revenge he would seek would be on a match of Minnesota vs Kentucky.

I also think Tubby would be reluctant to take another coaching position on the heels of Pitino leaving. He's been there, done that.

Just my 2¢

Have you actually looked at the other teams in the Conference USA???? Yeah, that's a top 10 job.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom