Best Big Ten Basketball Fan Bases (Minnesota #2) - Emory University study

Wow, they do fill Williams arena so it is not all that surprising.

Garbage in, garbage out. Especially when put through a flawed 'methodology'.

From skimming it, it sound like best fans = fans who are most willing to overpay for teams that suck. I guess it's a better measure than the "study" that used opponent ft %. Either way, I'd say eye-tests are just as good of a measure for this. Pretty tough to quantify best fan bases.

i'd say indiana and purdue, along with nebraska for footaball have by far the best fans in the big ten

i'd say indiana and purdue, along with nebraska for footaball have by far the best fans in the big ten

As a former student season ticket holder at both Purdue and Minnesota, I would take the atmosphere in Williams Arena over the atmosphere of Mackey Arena.

From skimming it, it sound like best fans = fans who are most willing to overpay for teams that suck. I guess it's a better measure than the "study" that used opponent ft %. Either way, I'd say eye-tests are just as good of a measure for this. Pretty tough to quantify best fan bases.

Having just sent the U a king's ransom for season tickets, I'm on board with your conclusion.

Wow, Northwestern rated ahead of Purdue and Michigan? That is bizarre. I also think it is strange that they didn't rank Nebraska due to lack of data. What data do they need that they were missing? They have been playing basketball long enough to be in the study.

I think they were suggesting that the numbers might be skewed by the conference (I believe they said they used 5 years of data).

I found it interesting that NW was ahead of them as well. I think they took arena capacity into account (too lazy to look), so that is probably partially why (i.e., we don't think of NW as a good fan base partially b/c they have so few fans there, but the study looked at % of arena filled). I might be misremembering though (in the actual sense of the word, not how Roger Clemens would use it).
Wow, Northwestern rated ahead of Purdue and Michigan? That is bizarre. I also think it is strange that they didn't rank Nebraska due to lack of data. What data do they need that they were missing? They have been playing basketball long enough to be in the study.

I didn't click on the link, but apparently Marquette much have not been #1. Are we allowed to criticize this guy?

thank goodness they didn't factor Parski into the equation else we'd be 10th or 11th!!! Demanding mediocrity!!!

Certainly some subjective criteria, but puts the lie to the notion that we are 'clearly the 9th or 10th' best job in the conference' as some insist. I agree with this study that the Michigan job is generally vastly over-rated.

Top Bottom