Klay Thompson

kramer

aka pullmangopher
Reaction score
Tubby needs to pursue Klay Thompson of Washington State University, son of all-time gopher great Mychal Thompson, I believe (the LA Lakers announcer is the same Thompson that played for the gophers, no?). All Pac-10 Freshman team. His dad wanted him to learn defense so he could be ready for the NBA so sent him to play with Tony Bennett

We can't pursue a player that is on scholarship at another University. If he asks for and is granted the release from his scholarship then Tubby can have a conversation with him.

Gimme a break. You know what I mean. There's a lot of speculation here that he will not be around with the departure of Bennett.

Where do you plan on coming up with a scholarship? Isnt the team at the limit or over by one as it is right now?

Where do you plan on coming up with a scholarship? Isnt the team at the limit or over by one as it is right now?

True. There is no scholarship available. They are pulling the year-to-year scholarship from a walk-on to make room for the 4 recruits coming in this season.

Do these scholarships take effect the year they are eligible to play or immediately while they are sitting out? Probably won't happen, but this kid is a stud shooter and will probably transfer to UCLA anyway since that is where pops is.

walk ons

True. There is no scholarship available. They are pulling the year-to-year scholarship from a walk-on to make room for the 4 recruits coming in this season.

jeez, even our walk on slots are getting filled up. soon Tubby can have two 5 on 5 scrimmages going!
:)

Do these scholarships take effect the year they are eligible to play or immediately while they are sitting out? Probably won't happen, but this kid is a stud shooter and will probably transfer to UCLA anyway since that is where pops is.

That is a good point. he would have to sit out a year regardless, so hypothetically if he wanted to come, would his scholarship count in 2010, or not until 2011. I think, stress, think, it is the latter in which case we would have room for him.

I think it will be a non-issue because I think he will want to stay out on the west coast somewhere, but if he does transfer we at least should be in the discussion.

He is on scholarship the moment he walks in the door, he is just redshirting for a year. Unless you can convince his dad to pay for a year he wont come on his own dime when he can stay there or have 20 offers the moment he opens it up.

Because the transferring player is on the team (he's a redshirt player) he still has to be enrolled in school, and if he's not on scholarship, he's essentially a walk-on, meaning he has to pay his own way. Redshirts in transfers seasons aren't some magical thing where a guy can join a team and not count against their scholarship limit, again, unless he's willing to pay his own way.

In Thompson's case, paying for school itself wouldn't be a problem in the least, but the idea that he'd come here for a year and pay his own way when plenty of other D1 schools would happily offer him a scholarship seems far-fetched. IMHO, Thompson will never suit up for the Gophers.

EDIT: Sorry to repeat. JWill's post must have gone up as I was typing my own.

Tubby needs to pursue Klay Thompson of Washington State University, son of all-time gopher great Mychal Thompson, I believe (the LA Lakers announcer is the same Thompson that played for the gophers, no?). All Pac-10 Freshman team. His dad wanted him to learn defense so he could be ready for the NBA so sent him to play with Tony Bennett

You guys are vultures. Pick at the dead carcas while your at it.

Top Bottom