Our current roster

upnorthkid

Reaction score
So what's our current roster now look like with the pick up of smith and loss of coleman?

Sr
Austin Hollins, G
Maverick Ahanmisi, G
Malik Smith, G
Rakeem Buckles, F
Jr
Kendal Shell, G (WO)
Dre Mathieu, G
Andre Hollins, G
Oto Osenieks, F
Mo Walker, C
Elliott Eliason, C
Soph.
Wally Ellenson, G
Joey King, F (WO)
Fr.
Charles Buggs, F
DaQuein Mcneil, G

My projected depth chart as well:
PG- Dre Mathieu, Dre Hollins, Ahanmisi, Mcneil
Wings- Dre Holins, Austin Hollins, Malik Smith, Wally Ellenson, Oto Osenieks, Shell
Forward- Rakeem Buckles, Charles Buggs, Osenieks, King
Center- Eliason, Walker

I can promise you King will not walk on here. He has other D1 offers for scholarships, BCS offers/interest as well.

He will be a scholarship player somewhere next year, possibly MN, but not a walk on anywhere.

I can promise you King will not walk on here. He has other D1 offers for scholarships, BCS offers/interest as well.

He will be a scholarship player somewhere next year, possibly MN, but not a walk on anywhere.

Agreed. It's lunacy to think that King would decline other D1 scholarship offers to walk on here

Agreed. It's lunacy to think that King would decline other D1 scholarship offers to walk on here

Yup. And I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino does offer him a scholarship after Coleman's release and now set to have 4 scholarships each of the next 2 years.

Walk On won't happen though, it makes no sense.

Doesn't King have to play somewhere close to home if he wants to avoid sitting out a year? Otherwise he wouldn't get a waiver for having a sick family member.

Doesn't King have to play somewhere close to home if he wants to avoid sitting out a year? Otherwise he wouldn't get a waiver for having a sick family member.

Correct. However, he could still decide to go elsewhere and sit the year to avoid walking on. I'd imagine a scholarship is more important than playing right away.

Correct. However, he could still decide to go elsewhere and sit the year to avoid walking on. I'd imagine a scholarship is more important than playing right away.

Don't you think that the most important thing to him would be going somewhere closer to the sick family member. That is the whole reason he's leaving Drake isn't it? I'm not saying I think King would accept a walk-on spot (I really have no clue) but if he really wants to be closer to his sick family member than the Gophers are just about his only option.

One thing I'm concerned about next year is lack of chemistry but that comes with most coaching changes.

Don't you think that the most important thing to him would be going somewhere closer to the sick family member. That is the whole reason he's leaving Drake isn't it? I'm not saying I think King would accept a walk-on spot (I really have no clue) but if he really wants to be closer to his sick family member than the Gophers are just about his only option.

Minnesota makes a lot of sense as an option as it does allow him to be closer to family and hopefully play right away. I'd imagine this makes MN a very attractive option for him. That said, others have posted this as well, financially a walk on spot is not an option. Period, end of story. Regardless of ill family unfortunately. Just the reality of the situation.

One thing I'm concerned about next year is lack of chemistry but that comes with most coaching changes.

My biggest concern is who is going to score inside and rebound the basketball. But I do agree lots of new faces...

My biggest concern is who is going to score inside and rebound the basketball. But I do agree lots of new faces...

I just continue to look at how Florida operated last year. Essentially three 3 point shooting guards, a stretch/3 point shooting 4 (Murphy), and a big down low (Young).

I think Mo / Elliot will play the big role. They are a little under athletic right now compared to a Patric Young, and Mo is unproven if he can run and stay healthy. That spot will be a question mark. FWIW, I think Tarik Black fits this spot perfectly.

The stretch 4 right now is Oto and Buggs. Also big question marks just due to lack of experience mostly.

Guards I think we are now set.

I don't know anything about Buggs play, but if Oto winds up playing big minutes I will be shocked. Even giving him credit for not fitting Tubby's offense, he never seemed to actually understand what was happening on the floor, or have really good offensive or defensive instincts.

I don't know anything about Buggs play, but if Oto winds up playing big minutes I will be shocked. Even giving him credit for not fitting Tubby's offense, he never seemed to actually understand what was happening on the floor, or have really good offensive or defensive instincts.

the first time I saw Oto play in the Tubby tipoff scrimmage his red-shirt year, I actually thought he had good instincts and made some good, heady basketball plays. Just little things like spacing and balancing the floor and moving without the ball. Then watching him play after being coached a little bit and he was tentative and looked like he was thinking too much. Hopefully, up and down free-wheeling basketball lets him flourish.

Buggs is awesome! I saw him play at Gopher All Star Friday Night last year, and he had outstanding athleticism and a good outside stroke.

So who does everyone think will get that 3rd starting guard spot. Smith or Mathieu?

My understanding is that King's reason for transferring, and waiver request to play right away, is based upon coming home to be near his sick brother. Being that the U is the only D1 program in the TC area and the state, presumably that reason would not apply if he transferred to any other D1 school and thus presumably he'd have to sit out a year if he transferred anywhere else.

Who knows exactly what he's thinking, but I don't think you can say it's as simple as "he has other D1 scholarship offers, so he wouldn't come here as a walk on." Moreover, just because you are characterized as a "walk on" when you come in doesn't mean you won't end up with a scholarship for one or more years. One could imagine Pitino telling him he has to come in as a walk on but will get a scholarship if x,y,z happens.

My understanding is that King's reason for transferring, and waiver request to play right away, is based upon coming home to be near his sick brother. Being that the U is the only D1 program in the TC area and the state, presumably that reason would not apply if he transferred to any other D1 school and thus presumably he'd have to sit out a year if he transferred anywhere else.

Who knows exactly what he's thinking, but I don't think you can say it's as simple as "he has other D1 scholarship offers, so he wouldn't come here as a walk on." Moreover, just because you are characterized as a "walk on" when you come in doesn't mean you won't end up with a scholarship for one or more years. One could imagine Pitino telling him he has to come in as a walk on but will get a scholarship if x,y,z happens.

As someone sort of familiar with the situation, and this is the most I will say about it, I can promise you he will not walk on anywhere under any circumstance. Regardless if there is an opportunity to earn a scholarship later. While it would be nice for him to play at home and right away, it is not enough for him to walk on unfortunately due to financial reasons. Just the reality of the situation.

Yeah, seeing that Drake is in Iowa, you would have to assume that Minnesota would be the best spot to be closer to his bro. North or South Dakota would be around the same distance as Drake and he probably wouldn't be able to play for Wisconsin. I'm not sure about his families financial situation, that could be a huge factor in his decision.

So who does everyone think will get that 3rd starting guard spot. Smith or Mathieu?
Smith is a combo guard at best, averaging only 1.3 assists last year in 33 minutes. I think Dre Mathieu fits in well as the starting PG, freeing Dre Hollins & Austin Hollins to start at the wings. Smith, Ahanmisi & McNeil backup.

If I was coaching, I would start mathieu, but I think smith will get it.

I think Smith also for max firepower, but I wonder if even Coach P. knows at this time. They have added so much versatility, a lot ways they can go.

Have to assume Dre, Austin, and EE will start. Anything beyond that is pure conjecture. No one here has ever seen McNeil, Mathieu, Smith, Buckles, or Buggs play in a college basketball game. Ellenson has played 48 minutes in college. Trying to figure out who starts among that group is guesswork.

Ummm......no.

19, I thought the coaches just looked at the numbers of stars like we do. Do you know where I can look to find the number of stars I was when I played? I can never remember if it was 5 or 6.

Have to assume Dre, Austin, and EE will start. Anything beyond that is pure conjecture. No one here has ever seen McNeil, Mathieu, Smith, Buckles, or Buggs play in a college basketball game. Ellenson has played 48 minutes in college. Trying to figure out who starts among that group is guesswork.

Andre & Austin? Absolutely. Past that, many possibilities. Plus Smith & Buckles aren't done deals yet and it's only May - lots of time for roster movement to still occur.

Nonetheless, I've seen Mathieu, Smith and Buckles all play in a college basketball game.

Andre & Austin? Absolutely. Past that, many possibilities. Plus Smith & Buckles aren't done deals yet and it's only May - lots of time for roster movement to still occur.

Nonetheless, I've seen Mathieu, Smith and Buckles all play in a college basketball game.

Smith is a 100% done deal

He signed his letter of intent to transfer here. That doesn't mean the NCAA has given him a waiver to play next year as opposed to sitting a year. It's expected but is not "done", i.e. official.

Don't think so. Be careful when listening to traditional (or any) media. Some misinformation and missing information on this one so far.

Top Bottom