Malik Smith a Gopher!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
@leeksmith24: My decision is final. I'm a Minnesota Gopher baby!!!!! BIG10 here I come! #Blessed #GodIsGood #Ready… http://t.co/VdomSZmtbq

Go Gophers!!

Smith for Coleman and another scholarship for 2014? I'll take it.

I hope the kid can play but 36% from the floor at FIU doesn't get me all hot and bothered just yet

I hope the kid can play but 36% from the floor at FIU doesn't get me all hot and bothered just yet

In many of his games this last year he was 50% from 3. That's most likely why we brought him in.

This may have been answered elsewhere, but i'm having trouble tracking it down. What year is this guy? I see he only had 1 year @ FIU. Is he JUCO?

On another note, poor little FIU - coach leaves, and then their solid players are extracted as well.

not to mention the fact that he played 33 mns a game and grabbed only 2.7 boards, 1 steal and 1.3 assists despite being on the court a ton. He did manage to have 2.1 turnovers per game so that basically washes out the 1 steal and 1 assist he got. His fg% would've been worse than everyone last year sans Oto, Welch and Wally, the first 2 we all moaned about because they were shooting so terribly. Everyone else was over 40% which is a big jump from 36%. Nothing about those numbers for a 6'2" guard at FIU say he should be playing in the B10 this year. Hope he can play and will cheer for the guy but this to me looks more like depth than a difference maker.

This may have been answered elsewhere, but i'm having trouble tracking it down. What year is this guy? I see he only had 1 year @ FIU. Is he JUCO?

He has one year left and is eligible right away.

All things considered, I am a fan of the Coleman/Smith swap. We add a senior with experience in Pitino's system and he's a good shooter. Opening up another 2014 scholarship is also a bonus. Hopefully Buckles is next.

In many of his games this last year he was 50% from 3. That's most likely why we brought him in.

True. I also see a lot of these games:
2-9 .222
0-4 .000
0-4 .000
3-8 .375
4-13 .308
1-6 .167
3-9 .333
1-9 .111
2-9 .222
2-6 .333
4-12 .333
0-4 .000
1-8 .125
0-5 .000
3-10 .300
4-12 .333
4-13 .308

lots of games where he's shooting 6+ 3's and clanking them. Also plenty of 4+ turnover games. Seems like a volume shooter that had the green light and had some good games and some really bad ones. I doubt he'll be jacking up 8 3's a game here so I hope he can make the most of his opportunities

He gets to the line 3.5 times a game which is pretty good. He averaged 1.22 points per shot which is nearly identical to Austin Hollins (1.23). Different competition obviously, so we'll see how he does in the Big Ten.

He gets to the line 3.5 times a game which is pretty good. He averaged 1.22 points per shot which is nearly identical to Austin Hollins (1.23). Different competition obviously, so we'll see how he does in the Big Ten.

I hope so and that's a good way to look at it. I'm worried about the turnovers and the inconsistent nature of his shooting. However I don't expect him to play 25 mns per game so it may not matter. Of course if Joe leaves then we have Dre/Austin/Mav/Ellenson/Mathieu/McNeal/Smith at guard, 7 guys in a system that likes to rotate players and play 3 guards at a time so he may play a good amount

All things considered, I am a fan of the Coleman/Smith swap. We add a senior with experience in Pitino's system and he's a good shooter. Opening up another 2014 scholarship is also a bonus. Hopefully Buckles is next.

Wait. What? He's a good shooter? 36% is actually just the opposite.

True. I also see a lot of these games:
2-9 .222
0-4 .000
0-4 .000
3-8 .375
4-13 .308
1-6 .167
3-9 .333
1-9 .111
2-9 .222
2-6 .333
4-12 .333
0-4 .000
1-8 .125
0-5 .000
3-10 .300
4-12 .333
4-13 .308

lots of games where he's shooting 6+ 3's and clanking them. Also plenty of 4+ turnover games. Seems like a volume shooter that had the green light and had some good games and some really bad ones. I doubt he'll be jacking up 8 3's a game here so I hope he can make the most of his opportunities
You done with the negative yet? We get your point. Enough already!

36% from 3 for a volume shooter is good. He's not just jacking up uncontested 3's. You would hope that he won't be asked to carry the team offensively at times like he did at FIU, which should make his shot selection a bit better and his percentage go up into the 40+% range. That's at least my hope.

I like that he played in Pitino's system for a year and that he choose to follow that system and Pitino to Minnesota despite other high major opportunities (Alabama). I also like that he's a shooter, which this team needs desperately.

However, oleboy is correct that his non-shooting numbers are scary given his 33 min/game and that might only get worse from a B1G standpoint. He looks like a player that if his shot isn't falling, especially in the B1G, he's a liability out there. It's just for 1 year so I like the gamble but I just don't expect him to be anything more than a spot-up shooter (which this team needs).

Top Bottom