UPDATED 6/2: Joey King a Gopher, on full scholarship!

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Is he worth a scholarship for the next 3 years. I know nothing about him.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 19s
One of Joey's family members is unfortunately ill so he's looking to transfer home to be closer to family.

Ryan James Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 2m
Joey King does want to be a Gopher. Not sure at this time what the Gophers think of him but they do need depth at PF.

If they take him, my guess is it will be a year to year schollie situation. If they don't use up all of their scholarships in a given year, he can have one. But otherwise he has to be a walk on.

He looks like he could be a nice player in Pitino's system. He's long (6'9") and he can score from inside and from the arc. He had a nice freshman season for Drake. I'd think he'd be worth looking at. Perhaps he'd take Halvorson's walk-on position if no scholarship were offered?

If we could get him as a walk-on that would be great. Having to give him a scholarship makes me much more hesitant since we need every scholarship we can spare for 2014 and 2015.

A compromise of a scholarship for year one and walk-on status after that would be great for the Gophers, but not sure how realistic that would be.

I don't think Joey will be a walk-on. He plays a position of need, he competes well and loves Minnesota. I'm sure Ben Johnson scouted him thoroughly when he was at NI. He is a tough match-up because he can shoot. He will represent the University well.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is from a single parent family and perhaps could not afford to accept walk on status.

I know nothing about this guy. Can't find any stats, don't see any recruiting profiles...help me?

I don't think Joey will be a walk-on. He plays a position of need, he competes well and loves Minnesota. I'm sure Ben Johnson scouted him thoroughly when he was at NI. He is a tough match-up because he can shoot. He will represent the University well.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is from a single parent family and perhaps could not afford to accept walk on status.

Correct. I do not think he would take a walk-on spot. However, keep in mind his former head coach also interviewed for the Minnesota position so has at least chatted with Pitino previously. May be a good resource.

Agree on all accounts though.

I know nothing about this guy. Can't find any stats, don't see any recruiting profiles...help me?

Was a pretty big star in high school, his Eastview team I believe beat Apple Valley (Tyus) fairly often. I know he had 37 in one of those games. Was Star Tribune player of the year his senior year as well if I recall correctly, I know he committed to Drake fairly early so his recruitment was kind of short. I know Tubby and Co. showed a little bit of interest as well.

It's called GRANTS that are based on need.

If we could get him as a walk-on that would be great. Having to give him a scholarship makes me much more hesitant since we need every scholarship we can spare for 2014 and 2015.

If Buckles is the 4th player they'd have 3 (Mav, Austin, Buckles) scholarships next year, plus there is still the outside chance Dre could leave early.

In 2015 we would have 5 scholarships (Mo, Joe, Elliot, Andre and Oto)

It's called GRANTS that are based on need.

And if Joey wanted to go that route, I am sure he could. I just know anything not covered would have to be paid via loans. Would be a decision for him to have to make. I am sure Pitino will be up front about everything with him as well and make sure he understands exactly what the situation is.

How athletic is he? If he is reasonably athletic and is as good of a shooter as you guys are claiming, I think I could stomach giving him a scholarship. 6'9 shooters can be very dangerous in college basketball.

Joey was not THAT highly recruited because he did not choose to go with one of the nationwide travel AAU teams. He played with Southside, and I personally saw him take down Wally Ellenson's team in the local event in Bloomington. I was also at the game when he had 37 against AV. Saul was there watching and I thought that might prompt an offer, but it never came.

Frankly he was far more accomplished in high school than several on our current roster, but that's the last staff's fault, not this one's.

Joey was not THAT highly recruited because he did not choose to go with one of the nationwide travel AAU teams. He played with Southside, and I personally saw him take down Wally Ellenson's team in the local event in Bloomington. I was also at the game when he had 37 against AV. Saul was there watching and I thought that might prompt an offer, but it never came.

Frankly he was far more accomplished in high school than several on our current roster, but that's the last staff's fault, not this one's.

Didn't know that about the AAU thing, good info.

I could see him being the Erik Murphy type for the Gophers - Florida's PF this year.

Was a pretty big star in high school, his Eastview team I believe beat Apple Valley (Tyus) fairly often. I know he had 37 in one of those games. Was Star Tribune player of the year his senior year as well if I recall correctly, I know he committed to Drake fairly early so his recruitment was kind of short. I know Tubby and Co. showed a little bit of interest as well.

I watched him beat up on AV & Lakeville several times. Hella'good player and fills a need. Teams we play always have a guy like him that make it rain from deep and I wonder why the hell don't we have one of those guys? Not to mention would be nice to have a guy his size matching up with other teams big shooters on defense.

I think he would be worth a 3 year scolly, but it would be best to be honest and give him a one year scholarship and let him know you will evaluate how to move forward after the season.

You all realize no Gophers bball players have multi-year schollies, right?

I watched him beat up on AV & Lakeville several times. Hella'good player and fills a need. Teams we play always have a guy like him that make it rain from deep and I wonder why the hell don't we have one of those guys? Not to mention would be nice to have a guy his size matching up with other teams big shooters on defense.

I think he would be with a 3 year scolly, but it would be best to be honest and give him a one year scholarship and let him know you will evaluate how to move forward after the season.

Somewhat agree, and from what I've heard of his work ethic I think he'd end up with a scholarship all three years. He seems to fit the Pitino mold (hard work, hustle, run run run). A stretch 4 would be new for the Gophers too and would clear the lane for guards to drive and kick.

I could see him being the Erik Murphy type for the Gophers - Florida's PF this year.

If he is 6'9" then 90% of the people in this video are 6'5" or taller.

Definitely looks like he has some skill though.

Seen him listed anywhere from 6' 7" to 6'9" - may have grown a bit this year too.

You all realize no Gophers bball players have multi-year schollies, right?

Hey captain obvious, who offers almost nothing to this board;

If you made a habit of showing the door to every player that didn't turn out or had injury problems (Mav after freshman year, Mo, Oto, Chip, etc.) it would make selling your program to recruits and their parents almost impossible.

You do realize that, right?

Hey captain obvious, who offers almost nothing to this board;

If you made a habit of showing the door to every player that didn't turn out or had injury problems (Mav after freshman year, Mo, Oto, Chip, etc.) it would make selling your program to recruits and their parents almost imposable.

You do realize that, right?

+1

Somehow this is lost on some people. You shouldn't offer someone if you plan to kick them off the team before they graduate.

Seen him listed anywhere from 6' 7" to 6'9" - may have grown a bit this year too.

This video is from his jr. year in high school so yeah, he could have grown...but also, he's probably not 6-9.

I thought the same thing. Dude looks like he's about 6'5. He also has a set shot with a really low release, though he does seem to make it more often than not. I question whether he'll be able to get his shot off in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom