SI: Positive changes to block/charge, handchecking could be in store for 2013-14

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

In a major step toward implementing much-needed changes that should aid offenses, the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee has recommended an adjustment in the way block/charge calls are made, as well as encouraging more consistent application of current rules regarding the limitation of freedom of movement on the floor.

According to a release from the NCAA, the proposed rules changes must be approved by the “playing rules oversight panel” (which next convenes via conference call on June 18) before becoming effective for the 2013-14 season.

The block/charge call is the most difficult in the sport, but there is a prevailing sense that has emerged over the past couple of seasons that the balance of that call had tilted way too heavily toward calling charges. The implementation of a charge circle was supposed to help offenses by not allowing defenders to camp underneath the rim, but it just ended up being a crutch for officials, who were forced to look at multiple things (foot placement and defensive positioning) at once, and ended up calling a lot of charges that should have been blocking fouls simply because the defender was outside the circle.

http://college-basketball.si.com/20...ge-handchecking-in-2013-14/?eref=twitter_feed

Go Gophers!!

I'm very disappointed that they're not going to do anything with the shot clock. The game needs to speed up.

I seriously hope they clean up the forearm shivers by ball-handlers and the aggressive bumping and hand-checking by the defenders.

I'm very disappointed that they're not going to do anything with the shot clock. The game needs to speed up.

I seriously hope they clean up the forearm shivers by ball-handlers and the aggressive bumping and hand-checking by the defenders.

The shot clock is being lowered to 30 seconds.

I'd like to see some kind of review of flopping the way the NBA did this year. Obviously they can't fine college players for it, but there has to be some way to cut down on that cheating.

Get rid of the charge circle. Refs should absolutely be watching the defensive positioning (that's 95% of how you determine whether or not it's a block or charge), but it also shouldn't and doesn't matter where on the floor it is when the contact happens.

As for charges, I still think they should be calling more of them, but out on the perimeter (think ballhandler using the free hand to throw a stiff-arm).

Get rid of the charge circle. Refs should absolutely be watching the defensive positioning (that's 95% of how you determine whether or not it's a block or charge), but it also shouldn't and doesn't matter where on the floor it is when the contact happens.

As for charges, I still think they should be calling more of them, but out on the perimeter (think ballhandler using the free hand to throw a stiff-arm).

Agreed. The stiff-arms and shoves are ridiculous. As is the bumping of cutters in the lane, clutching, grabbing, and tackling people under the basket with the ball. Clean up the game, lower the clock, and we'll see scoring increase dramatically.

I doubt the block/charge changes will have much of an impact on scoring in either direction.

Get rid of all the contact on the outside. The hand check on defense and the forearm shove on offense.

So we will shot more free throws now... boring... i think is not the way to handle scoring that is down in NCAA... this really fits into kids that get to the basket now... the new point guards ... joe coleman u want slasher on offense and shot blockers on defense.. i can see it already u will be lucky to have a charged called 1 every 2 or 3 games.. I dont like it but i hope pitino can recruit to the big rule change.

yes the holding and chucking cutters is why scoring is down not the block/charge call.

I hate the charge call as well (I just see it as a bail-out for the primary defender that just got beat), but I think contact in general needs to be cleaned up. Like others have said, bumping and holding the cutter, and also hand-checking or just two hands on the ball handler (which would get rid of 90% of the elbow-to-head flagrants, which also needs to be changed). Shot clock should be reduced to at least 30; 35 seems archaic. There's no reason the men's game should have a slower pace than the women's.

I don't think general skill-level has helped the decrease in scoring either. The mid-range game has almost disappeared at the college level. When's the last time you've seen someone pull up for a jumper instead of going into the contact for a layup? Or take a running floater (other than Aaron Craft)?

I'm not totally sold on the need to change the charge rule to a time before when the player leaves the ground. I always loved the term "player control foul", because I felt like the onus was on the player with the ball to go to the hoop in control, not just fly in all willy nilly when a defender is still in good enough position to get planted before he takes off. It rewarded situational awareness and players supporting the primary defender.

....The mid-range game has almost disappeared at the college level. When's the last time you've seen someone pull up for a jumper instead of going into the contact for a layup? Or take a running floater (other than Aaron Craft)?

Really?

I'm not totally sold on the need to change the charge rule to a time before when the player leaves the ground. I always loved the term "player control foul", because I felt like the onus was on the player with the ball to go to the hoop in control, not just fly in all willy nilly when a defender is still in good enough position to get planted before he takes off. It rewarded situational awareness and players supporting the primary defender.

There's a lot to that.

It's still a player control foul. I'm not quite sure how or when "charge" entered the basketball lexicon instead of this, but it's still a player control foul.

Top Bottom