STrib: Walker has really bought into Pitino’s new brand and work ethic

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Some notes:

On early reports about Walker:

"Walker has really bought into Pitino’s new brand and work ethic which is supposedly pretty darn vigorous."

On the lack of big men:

"It is a little troublesome, I do admit"

On Buckles:

"Everything on that front is staying pretty hush-hush, and it’s tough to get information since Buckles is technically still at FIU. If the Gophers got him, they’d want him to play immediately, which would require a waiver. There’s a chance those details are being sorted out now. Remember – Buckles wouldn’t be constrained by the signing deadline because he will be a graduate. I wouldn’t be surprised if this does happen."

On the staff:

"I can tell you that if you include Pitino in the conversation, it’s realistically one of the younger staffs in the nation, and relatively raw as well."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/206669301.html

Go Gophers!!

Mo could really boost this team next year if he got in top notch shape. He already has some decent post moves, a good shot, and is a pretty good passer. Just gotta lose like 80 pounds.

If we get Buckles and he can play immediately, I'll be extremely happy with Pitino's last second recruiting for 2013.

Mo could really boost this team next year if he got in top notch shape. He already has some decent post moves, a good shot, and is a pretty good passer. Just gotta lose like 80 pounds.

If we get Buckles and he can play immediately, I'll be extremely happy with Pitino's last second recruiting for 2013.

Even though Eliason is getting better, MO is our best offensive option in the post. That is depending on Buckle's of course. MO could even start if he gets in good enough shape. I can at least see him playing 15 minutes a game, scoring 8 pts, 5 rebs etc.

80 pounds?! Give the guy a little bit of a break...he is in better shape than that Brazilian Nebraska player. Anyway, I like this article - it confirms what some of us GHers were saying that Mo is starting to shed the pounds. Keep it up Mo! I'd love to see him out there in great shape; he could be a beast in the paint.

Mo has to stay healthy to make an impact. If his feet and knees can hold up, he can make the weight, so to speak, and be a huge presence for us next year with EE. We still need an athletic 4.

80 pounds?! Give the guy a little bit of a break...he is in better shape than that Brazilian Nebraska player. Anyway, I like this article - it confirms what some of us GHers were saying that Mo is starting to shed the pounds. Keep it up Mo! I'd love to see him out there in great shape; he could be a beast in the paint.

80 pounds may be a little exaggerated, but losing that much is not all that difficult when you are 6'10 and overweight.

I can hear the Barnyard rooting for Big Mo:

MO MOJO MO.

If Mo can get down to 240-250 range That would be fine he's in the 270's isn't he, already down from the 3bills that he was Freshman year. Dropping 30lbs is doable in the offseason

If Mo can get down to 240-250 range That would be fine he's in the 270's isn't he, already down from the 3bills that he was Freshman year. Dropping 30lbs is doable in the offseason

Last I heard was 285 lbs. I believe Tubby was once quoted as saying it was the most devastating knee injury he has ever seen. IMO it's not the weight, it is certainly not the kid, it's the injury.

I last I heard was 285 lbs. I believe Tubby was once quoted as saying it was the most devastating knee injury he has ever seen. IMO it's not the weight, it is certainly not the kid, it's the injury.

You don't see a correlation?

A team usually assumes the personality of their coaches. A lackadaisical, lazy, uninspired coach will have a lackadaisical, lazy , uninspired team. An energetic, hard working, inspired coach will have a .............

Agreed on the injury Adrian Peterson is the worse thing to happen for guys with knee injuries. it usually takes a year to get healthy and when you're rehabbing an injury you're not working nearly as much if any on the rest of your body. I think now that Mo will have a healthy off season to work on his physique and overall game, I think he could really help us. If Mo can drop to 250, he should be able to contribute.

I think even 260-270 would be doable. Not ideal, but doable.

The poster who said he is around 285 is about spot on from what I heard a few days ago. Also, he has said that is is working to be down to the 250 range by the start of the season. It is a lofty goal, but I bet he gets close as long as he sticks to it. He has to have the drive and be a gym rat over the summer.

The poster who said he is around 285 is about spot on from what I heard a few days ago. Also, he has said that is is working to be down to the 250 range by the start of the season. It is a lofty goal, but I bet he gets close as long as he sticks to it. He has to have the drive and be a gym rat over the summer.

He's currently at 285 or was 285? Just clarifying.

He's currently at 285 or was 285? Just clarifying.

He was right around 285 because a few days ago, the team measured all the players height, weight body fat percentage, etc. Practices are now over until summer school starts on June 17. It will be up to Sean, Big Mo, to keep attending individual workouts and lifting to keep losing the weight.

Code:
He was right around 285 because a few days ago, the team measured all the players height, weight body fat percentage, etc. Practices are now over until summer school starts on June 17. It will be up to Sean, Big Mo, to keep attending individual workouts and lifting to keep losing the weight.

Really need a new coach to tell you to get into shape? Unbelievable. If I was the new coach I would say goodby.

Really need a new coach to tell you to get into shape? Unbelievable. If I was the new coach I would say goodby.

No, the coach's job is to help him find a workout routine that works best for him. Not everyone can do the same workout and get the same results. Some bodies respond better to certain exercises than others. Thats where the S/C coach comes in.

He can work out all he wants...still too big and slow. Won't fit into Pitino's athletic run and gun system. Lot's of bench time for Big Moe in 2013-14.

Because EE would be significantly quicker than a slimmed-down Mo? How many centers do you suppose would be able to fit seamlessly into a system like this, anyway? Hint: very, very few.

He's not implementing the Loyola Marymount system! They still run an offensive and defensive set. We need someone who block shots, rebounds and get put-backs. EE and/or Mo will most definitely be needed.

He's not implementing the Loyola Marymount system! They still run an offensive and defensive set. We need someone who block shots, rebounds and get put-backs. EE and/or Mo will most definitely be needed.

+1 You can't win in the B1G with the 7 dwarfs. In the next year I do expect turnover on the roster, but EE won't be one of them.

Because EE would be significantly quicker than a slimmed-down Mo?

Yes. I'll believe Mo is slimmed down when I see it. We were told Oto 'played' the Diebler roll perfectly for defensive practice before we played Ohio State. That was a crock of shi.....

No, the coach's job is to help him find a workout routine that works best for him. Not everyone can do the same workout and get the same results. Some bodies respond better to certain exercises than others. Thats where the S/C coach comes in.

You mean this kind of workout won't work for everyone?

Doogie:
Pitino to the crowd: said Mo Walker is down 20 lbs in the last month. Needs to drop 40 more. Will stay here all summer.*&^!##gophers

Also this, haha:
Pitino praised Eliason, but said he has to win a push-up competition between the two. Hasn't yet. Has to get into better shape.*&^!##gophers

Doogie:
Pitino to the crowd: said Mo Walker is down 20 lbs in the last month. Needs to drop 40 more. Will stay here all summer.*&^!##gophers

Also this, haha:
Pitino praised Eliason, but said he has to win a push-up competition between the two. Hasn't yet. Has to get into better shape.*&^!##gophers

Getting Eliason stronger will only help him out, cause with his hustle that he brings, if he can be a physical presence in the way he can be, that'd be a huge help to our chances next year, especially with how thin our front court will be.

Doogie:

Also this, haha:

Push-up competition between which two ... Eliason and Walker? Or Eliason and Richard Pitino? LOL

Top Bottom