UPDATED: Gophers to host Fla State in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Dec. 3

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
Mike Humes‏@MikeHumesESPN46m
Matchups for the 2013 Big Ten/ACC Challenge (Dec 3-4 on ESPN nets) will be released today at 2pm ET #B1GACC

Retweeted by Andy Katz

Who are we expected to get? I thought I remembered that in years past the matchups have been based on last year's conference finish? Is that right?

Not knowing which 3 ACC teams won't participate (I'm assuming they'll exclude a couple of the projected bottom teams + maybe 1 of the newbies), I'm gonna' guess the Gophers get Wake Forest or Pitt at home.

Not knowing which 3 ACC teams won't participate (I'm assuming they'll exclude a couple of the projected bottom teams + maybe 1 of the newbies), I'm gonna' guess the Gophers get Wake Forest or Pitt at home.

How about a home rematch with FSU?

How about a home rematch with FSU?

I hope not! I feel like we only play FSU or Virginia in the Challenge. I'm hoping for a fresh name. Pitt would be nice.

Go Gophers!!

Not surprising, but Duke is off the board for us:

@bluedevillair: I can confirm that Duke will be playing Michigan in the ACC/B1G Challenge this year, in CIS.

Go Gophers!!

@davidteelatdp: #UVa to host Wisconsin in #ACC-Big Ten Challenge. Cavaliers won in Madison last season.

Go Gophers!!

Hoping we see someone we haven't played in the Challenge before, maybe BC or NC State? Notre Dame would be cool, too.

I know, I'd love to play fresh blood, too. Unfortunately, my question was rhetorical. I have heard we will host FSU.

Sounds like it will be their bottom 3 RPI teams which would be Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest.
Andy Katz‏@ESPNAndyKatz1h
Remember on the ACC-Big Ten matchups. Two schools from ACC didn't "qualify" to be in the Challenge. Lowest two teams in RPI bounced out.

Andy Katz‏@ESPNAndyKatz1h
Yes. I meant to say 3. Good catch. Your prediction makes sense. “@JohnWillmott: Assuming he meant three, that would be Clemson, VT, Wake.

Looks like a tournament rematch with Indiana and Syracuse matching up.
HomeGrown Hoosier‏@HomeGrown_IUBB16m
IU will face Syracuse in the B1G/ACC Challenge this season. Interesting matchup choice. #IUBB

GoldandBlack.com‏@GoldandBlackcom1m
According to a source, #Purdue will host Boston College Dec. 4 in the #B1G/ACC Challenge.

My guesses, just guessing on some of the home/away and no real reason behind any.
Already Reported
Wisconsin at Virginia
Michigan at Duke
Indiana at Syracuse
Purdue vs. Boston College
Guesses
Gophers vs. Maryland
Michigan State vs. North Carolina
Ohio State vs. Pittsburgh
Iowa vs. Notre Dame
Illinois at Miami
Northwestern at NC State
Penn State at Georgia Tech
Nebraska vs. Florida State

I know, I'd love to play fresh blood, too. Unfortunately, my question was rhetorical. I have heard we will host FSU.

Bummer. That sucks, unless FSU gets Andrew Wiggins. Get Wiggins and all of a sudden the 'Noles become a truly marquee opponent.

(I'm sure he'll surprise no one and go to Kentucky)

Rumors flying that Notre Dame will be at Iowa and Maryland will play at Ohio State.

Also rumor that UNC will play at MSU

IF Iowa and the Gophers get home games and the Hawkeyes get Notre Dame, I'm going to be pi**ed. I know Iowa is expected to be better than us (and rightly so), but I just don't think that would be fair. Seems like the Gopher program (3 NCAAs in 6 years, coming off Round of 32 appearance) has earned the right to play a new, interesting, and cache opponent much moreso than the Hawkeyes (last NCAA appearance was in 2006). It's BS if they get ND and the Gophers don't.

IF Iowa and the Gophers get home games and the Hawkeyes get Notre Dame, I'm going to be be pi**ed. I know Iowa is expected to be better than us (and rightly so), but I just don't think that would be fair. Seems like the Gopher program (3 NCAAs in 6 years) has earned the right to play a new, interesting, and cache opponent much moreso than the Hawkeyes (last NCAA appearance was in 2006). It's BS if they get ND and the Gophers don't.
Looking likely with Chicago tribune reporter tweeting it now too.

Brian Hamilton‏@ChiTribHamilton1m
Looking like #NotreDame at #Iowa, for those keeping score of #B1G #ACC challenge matchups.

Looking likely with Chicago tribune reporter tweeting it now too.

Brian Hamilton‏@ChiTribHamilton1m
Looking like #NotreDame at #Iowa, for those keeping score of #B1G #ACC challenge matchups.

mckayla-is-not-impressed_454x374.jpg

We're gonna get shafted with FSU again. Who are we kidding being hopeful?

Haha, we seriously can't play more than like three teams in the ACC can we?

Here are the official matchups:

Tuesday, December 3rd
Florida State at Minnesota
Illinois at Georgia Tech
Indiana at Syracuse
Michigan at Duke
Notre Dame at Iowa
Penn State at Pittsburgh

Wednesday, December 4th
Boston College at Purdue
Maryland at Ohio State
Miami, FL at Nebraska
North Carolina at Michigan State
Northwestern at North Carolina State
Wisconsin at Virginia

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84373/b1gacc-challenge-matchups-announced

Go Gophers!!
I think it would be more competitive if they would have switched it the Gophers and Penn State an Illinois and Nebraska too, but maybe it had more to do with home/away matchups.

They should just ditch the Challenge. It's getting incredibly stale given their refusal to mix up the match ups.

At first glance, 7-5 for the Big Ten.

However, ACC gets most of the key matchups at home (IU-Syr, Mich-Duke, ND-Iowa, Wis-Va). NC-MSU the only big one B1G gets to host.

If FSU gets Wiggins, it's my favorite matchup. If they don't land Wiggins, it's boring. He's a special player and to see him come to the Barn in his one year in college would be very cool.

I like the Challenge regardless.

Here's why I am for this match up.

1. It's at home against an "equal" match up.

2. Since schedule isn't released, this may not be truth, but it will be a good non conference test to see how our press will work on teams who have good players.

3. If Wiggins lands there, you can bet we will get a lot of attention on this game. If we win, great for recruiting.

We can still play some ranked teams if we get into a tournament.

Top Bottom