Q&A: Dre Mathieu on Why He Chose Gophers: Style of Play, Coaching Staff and Hollinses

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Dre Mathieu on Why He Chose Gophers: Style of Play, Coaching Staff and Hollinses

Dre Mathieu on Why He Chose Gophers: Style of Play, Coaching Staff and Hollinses
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/253904?referrer_id=388419

DeAndre “Dre” Mathieu, a 5-foot-11, 160-pound sophomore guard from Central Arizona (AZ) CC, committed to Minnesota Tuesday after a recent visit to the campus. The first team NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association) All-American is expected to compete for immediate playing time next season

Gopher Hole caught up with Mathieu Tuesday night to learn why he chose the Gophers.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason that you decided that Minnesota was the place where you wanted to be?

Dre Mathieu: I think it was the style of play they are going to play, the coaching staff and the other guys that we are going to have in the backcourt in the Holinses. We could be really good.

Gopher Hole: How was your visit to Minnesota this past week?

Dre Mathieu: My visit was really good. I enjoyed. Even though it was really cold, I really had a good time and I felt like I liked Minnesota a lot.

Gopher Hole: You were supposed to visit Memphis, but you cancelled that visit. What was the reason for that?

Dre Mathieu: They want me to push my day that I was going to decide back. They wanted me to wait a little longer.

Gopher Hole: You originally were going to make your announcement Thursday, but moved it up to Tuesday. What was the reason for that?

Dre Mathieu: Timing. I didn’t want everything to get messed up. The coaches have to do their job, so I wanted them to do their job and not miss out on the opportunity.

Gopher Hole: Have they told you what they expect your role to be with the team next season?

Dre Mathieu: Not really. He just told me that I was going to come in and be a point guard. He wants to play an up-tempo style, a lot of pressure and a lot of trapping.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that you have a good chance of being a starter next year? Is that your expectations?

Dre Mathieu: Yes, sir. I am working as hard as I have to, to be a starter. Yes, sir.

Gopher Hole: When are you planning on coming up here?

Dre Mathieu: Sometime in June. Whenever summer school starts.

Gopher Hole: Does it feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulder now that you know where you are going to be?

Dre Mathieu: Oh, yes sir. Being done with that, I can just relax. I don’t have to worry about phone calls anymore

Gopher Hole: Andre Hollins was your host during your visit. You had told me before that you had played against him in some AAU tournament, but didn’t really know him. What was that relationship like during your visit?

Dre Mathieu: He did a good job. I really enjoyed hanging out with him. He is a lot like me. We are from a different part of the country and we both like basketball. He made me feel welcome during my visit. He is coming from the same area that I am coming from, so that really helped me out.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see when you were up here?

Dre Mathieu: I saw everything. The entire campus and the campus is huge. That’s crazy. The gym. I was wowed by the gym. I loved the gym. I saw everything that I had to see. We went to J.D. Hoyt’s, which I guess is the main place to eat. We went there and saw the whole downtown. I saw everything.

Gopher Hole: Do you definitely see yourself fitting in here?

Dre Mathieu: Oh, yes sir, no doubt.

Gopher Hole: When are you graduating?

Dre Mathieu: I’ll graduate in the summer.

Gopher Hole: Before June?

Dre Mathieu: It will probably be in the middle of June, so I’ll probably go the second summer session.

I'm getting more excited about this guy by the day.

I agree. He's a respectful young man who says "yes sir" like he grew up in a military family. I love how he said "Working hard as I can to be the starting PG".

For Minnesota to be in the top half of the B1G, we need more players with that attitude.

Here is the official release from the U:

Deandre Mathieu Signs National Letter of Intent

The Minnesota men’s basketball program announced today that Deandre Mathieu has signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Gophers.

Mathieu joins previously signed Daquan McNeil as part of head coach Richard Pitino’s inaugural recruiting class at Minnesota. Both players will be eligible to compete during the 2013-14 season.

“Deandre is the type of player that fits our style of play, both offensively and defensively,” said Golden Gopher head coach Richard Pitino. “He is an up-tempo point guard that does just about everything on the court, which was really evident in the numbers he put up last season. He is a great addition to our program.”

The Knoxville, Tenn. native was an NJCAA First-Team All-American for Central Arizona College last season. He averaged 17.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 6.5 assists on the way to being named the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference Player of the Year.

Mathieu helped lead the Vaqueros to the second round of the NJCAA Division 1 Tournament. He scored a season-high 29 points in a win at Eastern Arizona College, and also posted a pair of 28-point games during the season. He finished the season shooting 52 percent from the field.

Prior to arriving at Central Arizona, Mathieu walked on at Morehead State. He played in 29 games as a freshman, starting the last seven games of the 2011-12 season.

Mathieu is a graduate of Knoxville Central High School.

-UM-

Go Gophers!!

"We went to J.D. Hoyt’s, which I guess is the main place to eat"

I'm not so sure about that. I have it on good authority that the main place to eat is at the hot dog buffet at The Vu right next door.

I'm not so sure about that. I have it on good authority that the main place to eat is at the hot dog buffet at The Vu right next door.

+1. Darn, you beat me to it.

Looking for a nice, juicy rack.....

.... or ribs?

Top Bottom