Dre Mathieu's teammate says Mathieu a Gopher!

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Calvin Bonner:

Calvin Bonner @Cal_Bonner
Minnesota is going to be the team to watch next year their Pg they just signed Is a beast!! Huh?? @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY

Calvin Bonner @Cal_Bonner
Next year ..Minnesota is going to mess up a lot of people's brackets in march madness next year!!

is this a big get for the Gophers? I know we need a PG badly, but is this kid legit?

Gopher fans scream "recruit a damn pg Tubby", and Rich delivers with mcneil and mathieu. While these guys aren't Derrick Rose or Sam Cassell (lol), they are good enough to be 1 and 2 on our pg depth chart.

B. Womack ✌ ‏@Bri_Womack 10m
Minnesota !!! Minnesota !! Is getting by far one of the best PG's with bounce & unbelievable handles @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY

They're both solid gets, I think Mathieu was a 3 star and McNeil is a two or three depending on the recruiting service. Now lets get a big man

Mathieu isn't the biggest guy around but it will be soooo nice not having slower PG's with below average handles (Mav, Welch).

I like that his teammate spills the beans haha. Mathieu isn't a big time name pickup, but I think he's a very important pickup for Pitino considering what he wants to do here. He needs more ball handlers, and McNeil and Mathieu both improve that element on our team from day one.

If so, welcome, Dre! Glad you're a Gopher.

OK, so that's two Dre's and two Hollins'. Wonder if we can pick up another Mo anywhere.

Seems like a good get. (An)Dre is officially a SG.

Thinking about it a little more, I'm guessing Mav will be a situational SG that will specialize in hitting the open 3.

At the moment I'd see our depth chart look something like this, with Dre obviously still playing a little PG probably at the end of the game since he's a good free throw shooter and as clutch a player as we have.

PG - Mathieu, McNeil
SG - Dre, Wally, Mav
SF - Austin, Coleman, Oto
PF - Buggs, Oto
C - EE, Mo

Seems like a good get. (An)Dre is officially a SG.

Interested to see how things shake out in the coming months. A Dre/Dre backcourt would be pretty small, but I have a really good feeling about Hollins moving to the 2 and feeling less pressure to carry the team. Fingers crossed for Mathieu and McNeil.

Thinking about it a little more, I'm guessing Mav will be a situational SG that will specialize in hitting the open 3.

At the moment I'd see our depth chart look something like this, with Dre obviously still playing a little PG probably at the end of the game since he's a good free throw shooter and as clutch a player as we have.

PG - Mathieu, McNeil
SG - Dre, Coleman, Mav
PF - Buggs, Oto
C - EE, Mo
Wally Ellenson?

Looks like he has a good pull up jumper which could really cause some problems since he is obviously also quick as hell and can get into the paint. Since he can beat the defense both ways they'll have to play him pretty straight up.

PG - Mathieu, McNeil
SG - Dre, Coleman, Mav
PF - Buggs, Oto
C - EE, Mo

I think Joe and Austin will be primarily at SF. I'd say the depth looks more like

McNeil / Mathieu
Andre / Ahanmisi
Austin / Coleman / Ellenson
Oseniks / Buggs
Eliason / Walker

Looks like Dre has some good hops for a 5'8 shrimp :D

I though Dre was listed at like 6'2"? Or do you mean Dre Mathieu and not Dre Hollins? Or do you mean Austin Hollins????

And this is only the beginning lol

"Hollins drives left, er Dre drive left. I mean Mathieu. I mean Hollins, not Austin"

lol!

Last year there was a little confusion but this adds another wrench to it. Sadly, Austin graduates soon as we will only have one Hollins.

How many scholarships are available for next season? We have two seniors, so we have a minimum of two.

I think Joe and Austin will be primarily at SF. I'd say the depth looks more like

McNeil / Mathieu
Andre / Ahanmisi
Austin / Coleman / Ellenson
Oseniks / Buggs
Eliason / Walker

You really think Mav will get more PT at SG than Wally? SG and SF will be essentially the same position.

Who knows how long he'll be at MN, but he has 2 years of competition eligibility left

So we'll have 6 juniors next year. Dre, Dre, Coleman, Oto, Mo, and EE. Seems like Pitino will probably have to do something to break up that class when ti comes time to recruit their replacements. Maybe a Juco or 2, or a redshirt.

Edit: This is assuming everyone stays for the entirety of their eligibility, obviously.

He reminds me a little bit of Al Nolen, been a while since we have had someone who can consistently drive into the paint and cause problems with quickness for opponents.

I think Andre Hollins still starts at the PG with Austin and Joe as the wings, but it'll be really useful to have a PG to allow Dre to play off the ball (much) more often than he was able to last year

I really think Mo and maybe Oto will be gone after this season, so I won't be too worried if we don't bank a scholarship or two for the class of 2014.

I really think Mo and maybe Oto will be gone after this season, so I won't be too worried if we don't bank a scholarship or two for the class of 2014.

Mo all depends on if he can get into shape or not. He really does seem to be a skilled player, just needs to get that body in order and he could be a tremendous asset.

If he can start to move better, he could surprise some folks.

Top Bottom