Wow: Final Four games moving to cable channel TBS in 2014, 2015

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The NCAA Tournament’s national semifinal games are moving to TBS in 2014 and 2015, CBS and Turner Sports announced Tuesday.

The move breaks the longstanding tradition that had the final three games of the season—the national semifinals and the championship game—airing on CBS.

In addition, starting next season and continuing through 2024, coverage of the regional semifinals and finals will be split between CBS and TBS.

Early-round tournament action will continue to be split on CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV, with truTV exclusively airing the First Four games.

“From the beginning, our partnership with Turner Sports has exceeded every one of our expectations,” CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus said in a release. “Today’s news represents another win-win arrangement that continues to help us extend the reach of this marquee property by combining the resources of our two organizations. As we have done since 1982, CBS is pleased to showcase the National Championship game in 2014 and 2015.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...14-2015?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

That's sad. Must be a good business move. Not sure what CBS can air thats better on a saturday evening.

Very strange, I'm not understanding the premise for doing this.

Appartently TBS will air all 3 games (final four, championship) in 2016. This doesn't make much sense to me.

I like it if it means we get more of Charles, Greg Anthony, Kenny the Jet, and Ernie Johnson. Have enjoyed the tournament studio coverage so much more since we started getting a big dose of those guys on TNT, etc. I think their perspectives have added a lot to the TV coverage. They're knowledgeable, they've all been there before (both in the NCAA tourney & NBA), they stick their necks out once in a while, and they have fun with it.

Next move: Get rid of Nantz and Kellogg!

I realize Raftery isn't for everyone but I would love to see him get a couple Final Fours before he calls it quits.

I like it if it means we get more of Charles, Greg Anthony, Kenny the Jet, and Ernie Johnson. Have enjoyed the tournament studio coverage so much more since we started getting a big dose of those guys on TNT, etc. I think their perspectives have added a lot to the TV coverage. They're knowledgeable, they've all been there before (both in the NCAA tourney & NBA), they stick their necks out once in a while, and they have fun with it.

You are definitely in the minority regarding the TNT guys. Most would probably say they don't have a good enough knowledge of the college game, it's teams, and players to offer any real analysis. They are NBA analysts that spend 99% of their time prepping for NBA coverage, so I guess it's to be expected. I love Charles, he was my favorite player growing up and he is entertaining, but he sounded like a god damn idiot proclaiming the Mountain West as superior to the Big Ten.

Maybe they are expecting the Gophers to make a run for the Final Four during those years, and thinks it would be "very funny".

Next move: Get rid of Nantz and Kellogg!

I realize Raftery isn't for everyone but I would love to see him get a couple Final Fours before he calls it quits.

Yes please. This year I muted my TV and blasted the Raftery/Thompson radio call of the semis/championship.

I think in it was in 2010 that this deal was struck... it came along with the move to 68 teams IIRC.

Looks like they're essentially doing what they said they'd be doing a few years, yes?

SS, I'm surprised you think this.

Charles Barkley's commentary as part of the NCAA tourney TV panel this past year was nothing short of embarrassing. He was totally unprepared, used every cliche and generality in the book, stammered for words more than I ever can remember him doing in the past and provided several opinions based on confirmed factual errors. At one point, he needed Greg Anthony to actually tell him the names of players as he was trying to make a point about a game. Sure, he throws out the controversial take to grab attention or uses some cute one-liner for effect, but as to his actual analysis this year...turrible.

I'm luke warm on the Jet, as well. Ernie Johnson and Greg Anthony are well-prepared and do a nice job every year.

You are definitely in the minority regarding the TNT guys. Most would probably say they don't have a good enough knowledge of the college game, it's teams, and players to offer any real analysis. They are NBA analysts that spend 99% of their time prepping for NBA coverage, so I guess it's to be expected. I love Charles, he was my favorite player growing up and he is entertaining, but he sounded like a god damn idiot proclaiming the Mountain West as superior to the Big Ten.

I think outside of Charles, they actually bring a great perspective. Chuck played his heavy bias toward the West waaay too hard, and he got bitter when proven wrong about the B1G lol. But I mean, they were all excellent college players, most of them had pretty good tourney success, they can bring that player perspective that many can't. Another I like is Steve Smith, I wouldn't be upset about swapping him for Chuck.

I can't figure this out. Supposedly we're a sports crazed culture, and it's hard not to see it. But if we're so sports crazed, why isn't it worth CBS's air time to broadcast the national bleeping semifinal? Or for that matter, the MLB playoff games? Can someone explain what's going on here?

I forgot about Steve Smith, he's solid, too. As is Steve Kerr, in studio and behind the mike.

I can live with Chuck's guffaws. It's part of his charm. I guess what I'm sayin' is, I like those guys as a group.

I think in it was in 2010 that this deal was struck... it came along with the move to 68 teams IIRC.

Looks like they're essentially doing what they said they'd be doing a few years, yes?

Yes. This was announced with the initial deal. The people getting upset over this today weren't paying attention obviously.

I'll second Selection Sunday's props for Steve Kerr, plus give some to Reggie Miller. Both do a great job of explaining the action without using excessive jargon.

CBS/TNT

I can't figure this out. Supposedly we're a sports crazed culture, and it's hard not to see it. But if we're so sports crazed, why isn't it worth CBS's air time to broadcast the national bleeping semifinal? Or for that matter, the MLB playoff games? Can someone explain what's going on here?

The reason is simple, TNT can increase the cost to cable providers to provide the network. The Rose Bowl has been off ABC for several years now, time marches on.

Yes. This was announced with the initial deal. The people getting upset over this today weren't paying attention obviously.

I wasn't aware of this part of the deal. Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit, I just didn't understand the premise. But looking more at it, I'm seeing it better. Similar to ESPN having the football championship, cable money can go up due to having something of this caliber on their station. TBS is more valuable.

Turner made a significant investment in the property and the best way to drive revenue to recoup that investment is by showing the semifinals and finals--which draw more viewers and results in higher advertising prices--not just the first two rounds (reports at the time said CBS and Turner executives refused to say publicly which company is paying more for the rights. But two persons briefed on the deal but not authorized to speak publicly said Turner was making the larger investment). If CBS made the smaller investment but consistently gets to show the highest profile games, it makes no financial sense for Turner.

You hit the nail on the head. Charles acts like he knows what he's talking about. But saying the Mountain West was better than the B1G last year was lunacy. He just doesn't invest the time in following the NCAA to be a good analyst.

Certainly it doesn't help Charles's cause in my eyes that he dramatized the charge call that Craft drew. It probably was a bad call, but the problem is there had been probably 10 bad calls and missed calls that went against OSU that game, and ISU actually was helped by the refs more than not in that game. The one that really grinds my gears is the refs not calling an obvious lane violation two minutes before the Craft charge, which happened on the front end of a 1 & 1 that basically gifted 2 points for Iowa State by not calling it. Seriously, the ref noticed the ISU player stepped into the lane and committed the violation, but didn't blow the whistle and instead just gave him a talking to after the shot was made - all of this you could see plainly on a replay, but no one replayed that sequence at all because Iowa St lost the game and who cares if the team that won had bad calls against them.

There are many different things you could focus on in a game as an analyst, to harp on a charge call like that, as if there was nothing else to talk about, is bad. If you want to make a larger point about how college basketball needs to change how they call that play and help the offensive teams more, fine. But it's wrong to act like it cost Iowa St the game when the refs made several calls to help them get back in the game after they got down double digits.

I guess if his job is to entertain and get ratings and stir controversy, he did his job. But if his job is to be a fair and balanced analyst, he did not do that very well. I like Charles, I think he is entertaining, but he is not a very good college analyst.

This means I can DVR 48 Hours Mystery! A true win-win.

Would this mean no more One Shining Moment? If so, then I'm all for it.

I don't understand why people care. It will still be televised. Just a different channel. Being that I know how to use my remote control I think I'll be OK.

Western civilization died the day the Rose Bowl moved to cable.

Everything else is just footnotes.

Some of us have balls Doc.

Chickens, had to protect the future of America. Real men took it, AND dished it out.

It gets back to the question of what is more painful, a woman having a baby or a guy getting kicked in the balls?

I have met many women, a year after having a baby, talking about having another baby.
I have met many men, a year after getting kicked in the balls. None of the men talk about getting another kick in the balls.

I guess we know which is more painful.

Top Bottom