Notes from Nike EYBL Hampton w/ Gopher mention UPDATED: Gophers offer Sandy Cohen

sal

Reaction score
Hey GW, are you familiar with young Mr Cohen? Thanks.

Copy and paste from an NBC site.

Sandy Cohen’s break out...
Rob Dauster

Apr 28, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

HAMPTON, Va. — The best part about covering an AAU tournament is following along with the kids who go from relative unknowns to hot commodities, and at Nike EYBL Hampton, Wisconsin Playground Elite’s Sandy Cohen may just be that guy.

Cohen entered the game with just four offers — Wisconsin-Green Bay, La Salle, North Dakota and George Washington — but that will likely change after this weekend.

On Friday night, Cohen, a 6-foot-4 combo-guard, was one of the best players on the floor despite going scoreless in a loss, as he finished with seven boards, seven assists and two blocked shots. He found his shooting stroke on Saturday, however, as he led Playground Elite to a win over Tyus Jones’ Howard Pulley squad with 24 points on 8-14 shooting (4-7 from three) to go along wit six boards and three assists.

Cohen has played well on back-to-back weekends in the EYBL, and some of the big boys have started to notice.

“It’s definitely picked up my recruitment,” the Seymour, WI, native said. “I was getting low-major D’I's and now I’m starting to hear from high-majors.” Minnesota and UCLA are two of the high-major programs that have reached out to him recently.

Minnesota, in particular, seems like an intriguing destination for Cohen as the lanky combo-guard should be a perfect fit in the pressing style that new head coaching Richard Pitino likes to play.

“I’m just looking for a coach I really like and a school that plays to my personality and style of play,” he said. “I like a fast-pace, pick-up pressure.”

Cohen, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals, sees himself playing the point in college, but there is some work to be done in order for that to happen. At this point in his development, Cohen is a playmaker, but he’s admittedly not yet ready to be a primary ball-handler.

“I think I got alright handles,” he said, “but I need to work on them more.”

Gophers offered tonight:

@SandyCohenIII: Offer from Coach Pitino #GopherNation

Go Gophers!!

I like this quick offer . It may be something the kid keeps in mind when or if the elite programs jump in.

Marquette and Memphis offered too should be interesting.

Being from that area of Wisconsin, we played Seymour all the time in high school. Consistently one of the best D2 programs in the state. Home of the hamburger too! Very interested in following this kid's recruitment.

I like the offers, but doesn't he look a little slow? How did he get beat off the dribble so easily (first highlight package)? Sure, he slapped the ball away, but he's not going to get away with that all the time. Slow, but skilled maybe? I don't know...

Interesting player, there's a lot of potential there, but he's not there just yet. Then again, I don't know how old those highlights are, and he's still in high school for another year, so that's to be expected. He definitely has a high basketball IQ and seems like he's a guy who would be able to give a lot of what Austin currently does.

Didn't watch the second video, but the first one is from last summer. I'd imagine he has improved since then. I'm intrigued. Probably wouldn't hurt our chances with Rashad either if they become friends over the summer.

"he led Playground Elite to a win over Tyus Jones’ Howard Pulley squad"

didn't HP win?

I do not get a great vibe from the 2nd video posted. Looks a little slow, and just seems to be out "athlete-ing" some of his competition. The D2 circuit in Wisconsin is no where near the D1 circuit in Minneapolis, no where NEAR. And if he has aspirations of being a PG in a big 10 school, hes not quick enough nor does he have handles YET.

I'll be following his game next year. I live 20 minutes from Seymour.

I will say that he doesn't seem the fleetest of foot but speed isn't everything. I'll trust Pitino and the other coaches who have offered to this point. Besides, hard to not like a kid who balls in Jordan 10s.

I do not get a great vibe from the 2nd video posted. Looks a little slow, and just seems to be out "athlete-ing" some of his competition. The D2 circuit in Wisconsin is no where near the D1 circuit in Minneapolis, no where NEAR. And if he has aspirations of being a PG in a big 10 school, hes not quick enough nor does he have handles YET.

I'll be following his game next year. I live 20 minutes from Seymour.

These offers are coming after watching him play in the EYBL, the best competition out there. Not the D2 ciruit in Wisky or the D1 circuit here - whatever that means

Questoin: So D1 Mn is the best local AAU program, HP is second?

Pulley puts all of their eggs in one basket and puts the best players on 17's while MN D1 spreads out their talent.

I assumed HP was number one, not sure if there are Ryan's rankings or a not, but they have D1 MN 1st in 17U, 16U, 15U -http://www.northstarhoopsreport.com/AAU-Team-Rankings

These offers are coming after watching him play in the EYBL, the best competition out there. Not the D2 ciruit in Wisky or the D1 circuit here - whatever that means

I get that, but my comment was in reference to the 2nd video which looked like a cut up from his high school season. Wisconsin d2 is what division Seymour is in.

As to the naming "d1" I forgot mn high school "classes" (divisions in WI) are a series of letters. I thought the reference to D1 was his high school division.

The main point of my post was saying I didn't like what I saw in the video, specifically the 2nd video featuring high school highlights. Seeing as his highlights came against lesser talent (wi d2 circuit) then what we get to compare many of the other highlight videos to (usually minn class AAAAA or high level AAU competition)

I understand the offers came after he beat up on some AAU talent, this me saying I want to go see him play.

Top Bottom