All of that over NOTHING!!!!

MRJ

Reaction score
I admit it, I got caught up in this as well. But this whole situation with Tubby-Virginia reminds me of one thing: While the internet is a great device and a great conveyor of information, it can also be a great conveyor of misinformation.

Unfortunately, that's what both us and the folks have found out over the past week or so. And I think it might be time to reel-in some of the "my sources say this" crap that has been spouted around the board lately. If anything, the Virginia hire shows one thing: we often haven't got the faintest idea what we're talking about.

Anyway, back to some actual basketball discussion!!!:clap::clap:

And I think it might be time to reel-in some of the "my sources say this" crap that has been spouted around the board lately. If anything, the Virginia hire shows one thing: we often haven't got the faintest idea what we're talking about.

Anyway, back to some actual basketball discussion!!!

Amen !

There's still Arizona on the horizon ... and that's a bigger draw than UVa in terms of coaching chops. (However, if I had to choose where to live, I'd stay in Minneapolis or even go to Charlottesville over living in Tucson)

My sources say that Few is their main target, and that Tubby really doesn't seem to be on their radar...which means he's right in their cross-hairs.

:rolleyes:

I'll be monitoring the airport, as usual...

insanity.gif

There's still Arizona on the horizon ... and that's a bigger draw than UVa in terms of coaching chops. (However, if I had to choose where to live, I'd stay in Minneapolis or even go to Charlottesville over living in Tucson)

this is of course true. but the whole point is that we don't have the faintest idea what arizona wants to do and we probably won't know until they actually make a hire either. so, in other words, everybody needs to settle down and stop freaking out every time somebody claims to know something.

It was kind of fun in a strange sort of way. I felt like we had really reached the "big time" freaking out over our coach LOL!

That being said - glad it's over!

Being a alumni and a life onlg Gopher fan I also was caught in up in the internet speculation. From watching this board, following the post on the sabre and what I think was the funniest part of all tracking a flight that landed at Holman Field in St Paul wondering who was on the plane and who the plane may or may not be picking up.

I have to say most fun I had on the internet in a while.

Let the Tubby speculation begin for the Arizona and Memphis jobs. I will be watching. :)

With all due respect...

...this was not nothing. This was something more than nothing - it was something. It's a good bet there was some contact and some interest expressed, at the least. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. Who knows if Maturi had to intervene to keep the man in the house. All I know is this: it will be good to keep Flip on the speed dial as long as he's available. It seems a good bet that Tubby hasn't fallen as in love with Minnesota as Minnesota has fallen for him.

In addition

to those who have implied that the program is on solid footing and we would be able to land a star should Mr. Smith ever go to Arizona or anywhere else, I need only remind you of Lou Holtz who said, "The Minnesota program will stand the test of time" as he bolted on the U. It didn't. It ushered in 25 years of nearly unmitigated disaster, and did not make the program attractive to star coaches after him.

If Tubby hangs five years without an annual flirtation with every down and out BCS school, and gets as solid of recruting classes as he has in the last two years, traction will be there. It's not now. And every series of rumours about warmer climates and an unhappy wife makes the recruiting job that much more difficult.

Now, on to the sweet sixteen next year.

We seem to be safe as long as Maryland is not looking this or next year. Tubby does not seem to be an Arizona guy; Memphis would be a strange step down.

Now let's get that state-of-the-art practice facilitiy that we need to recruit the best players regardless of who the coach is.

Ummmm....is Tubby the coach at Virginia right now? No. Is he the coach at Minnesota? Yes. Did anything change from before this mess actually started? No. That spells nothing to me, no matter how much contact he had with Virginia or whether he told them no on the first contact or balked at the 23rd hour. In the end, nothing significant changed.

But you guys are right. We should be freaking out royally for the rest of Tubby's tenure here and especially every time any job opens up anywhere there's a pulse. It's better for everybody. That way, everybody can continue to rely on rumor and innuendo to make to make judgments about our situation . Carry on......:rolleyes:

to those who have implied that the program is on solid footing and we would be able to land a star should Mr. Smith ever go to Arizona or anywhere else, I need only remind you of Lou Holtz who said, "The Minnesota program will stand the test of time" as he bolted on the U. It didn't. It ushered in 25 years of nearly unmitigated disaster, and did not make the program attractive to star coaches after him.

If Tubby hangs five years without an annual flirtation with every down and out BCS school, and gets as solid of recruting classes as he has in the last two years, traction will be there. It's not now. And every series of rumours about warmer climates and an unhappy wife makes the recruiting job that much more difficult.

Now, on to the sweet sixteen next year.

This is true, but Minnesota is a much better basketball job then football job and has been since the 70's. Also, the football program wouldn't have fallen so badly if they had handled Lou's successor properly. I believe the story is that they could have had Bobby Ross from Maryland but went with Guty instead. That'd be a bit like passing on Flip to go with Ron Jirsa.

That's what became clear to me as the possibility stared us in the face. Tubby goes, and so does some talent with him, most likely. Suddenly we go from a program on the rise with annual NCAA berths in the forseeable future to a very uncertain and shaky situation. And, as you've noted, we start to look like a place that a top tier coach doesn't want to stay in. For my money, that was a brush with death. And it may not be the last.

All that...

Well, I don't think it was quite nothing. I agree with Holy Man's assesment about what a quick Tubby departure would mean. Nevertheless MRJ, you are correct that we saw a crazy amount of hype over what turned out to be a non existent story.

I guess I'll try and dial back my internet viewing the next time this happens while also being grateful that I am back to caring this much about a Gopher Hoops coach.

I have a good friend who is in the know that told me he doesn't know a damn thing about anything. He gets his information from the insiders here on GopherHole.

Top Bottom