Another good one from Dana O'Neil: Coaching in the Diva Generation

It is well written but I am not sure of the premise. Top D-1 athletes have been "divas" forever. I think the technological microscope they are under leads to better behaviour rather than worse. Dom Jones would not have been convicted in 1995, 1985 or 1975 but I guarantee similar incidents happened.

I am also fairly sure the top players receive far less illegal payments than they did in the past.

Izzo and K talk a good game but they lead in turning these guys into divas by isolating them from the general student population through building practice facilities, athlete's dorms etc. They want it both ways.

It is well written but I am not sure of the premise. Top D-1 athletes have been "divas" forever. I think the technological microscope they are under leads to better behaviour rather than worse. Dom Jones would not have been convicted in 1995, 1985 or 1975 but I guarantee similar incidents happened.

I am also fairly sure the top players receive far less illegal payments than they did in the past.

Izzo and K talk a good game but they lead in turning these guys into divas by isolating them from the general student population through building practice facilities, athlete's dorms etc. They want it both ways.

My reading of this is that it has almost nothing to do with what happens in college, but the cultures they come from before they get to college. I think K and Izzo are absolutely correct that the team concept in youth basketball is disintegrating and that affects the kids and the college culture. I don't think anyone can deny that there is more self centered approach to sports now than there was in the past. Parents make plans for their kids' college sports careers before they are in grade school, and that is not the kids' fault. More families need to understand that the chance for college scholarships or pro contracts is negligible and work from there. I know a lot of kids who play sports, and it does seem that on the high school level, fewer and fewer are actually having fun with it. That's too bad.

It really does come down to what the kids' are taught to value at home. If team success is honored and sought, they will do that. If it is me centered environment, they will do that. It starts with parents being realistic about sports and having them in proper perspective and handing that down to their kids. Divas are nurtured not created.

Top Bottom