Washington State fans don't seem very upset

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
They seem more fatalistic that Bennett would leave and life will go on ... debate seems to be whether they should hire from within ... pretty ho-hum reaction, IMO. See this link ... there's nothing on their premium site as yet.

I think they were realistic that he would leave for a "big team" in the near-future, given his recent success (National Coach of the Year, NCAA tourney births, etc.).

Nothing against Pullman, WA and WSU, but they don't have the resources or tradition to keep a coach on the up-and-up; and they probably know that.

I agree with ShowinGoldyLove. His dad came out of retirement to get Tony on his feet and ready for a head coaching job. I think Wazzu knew that when they hired Dick Bennett. I'm sure the Wazzu fans were ecstatic with that Sweet 16 run and realize their time with Tony at the helm was limited.

His dad got the wheels in motion for Tony, but a Sweet 16 trip in his second year as coach is very impressive. I hope the UVa fans give him a fair shot. They could be in our position soon with prominent schools seeking his services. I think Tony wants to prove he can coach in the ACC.

Good hire for UVa! Even better hire for MN (I wasn't ready to see Tubby go).

They should hire Brad Soderberg. He's a Dick Bennett disciple and got a raw deal from St. Louis and Wisconsin. He'd certainly help keep the system in place and stable.

I think they were realistic that he would leave for a "big team" in the near-future, given his recent success (National Coach of the Year, NCAA tourney births, etc.).

Nothing against Pullman, WA and WSU, but they don't have the resources or tradition to keep a coach on the up-and-up; and they probably know that.
90% of the nation thinks that of Minnesota.

90% of the nation thinks that of Minnesota.

Yeah, but there are also many more programs around the country where this is the prevailing thought amongst the "public." This kind of assessment is not reserved for simply Minnesota or Washington State for that matter.

It's very rare to find a school where a big coach walks in and says "okay, I'm set for life" and the overall public will agree.

Top Bottom