GH Article: Richard Pitino oozes passion, and the kids are really picking up on that.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
"Richard Pitino oozes passion, and the kids are really picking up on that."

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/249688?referrer_id=331171

In just over three weeks into his new job, Gophers coach Richard Pitino has put together a young and energetic coaching staff with reputations as great recruiters. Pitino hit the local recruiting scene hard in his first few days on the job and last weekend made his first national AAU tournament visit as the Gophers coach. Pitino and his staff are young, energetic and seem to be connecting with high school players in ways that the old staff did not.

“Richard Pitino oozes passion, and the kids are really picking up on that,” said a local high school coach who asked not to be named, but who has a player being recruited by the Gophers in the class of 2015. “It’s not a knock on the previous staff at Minnesota, but Pitino is high energy, is connecting well with these kids in a short period of time and seems to really enjoy the recruiting process.”

No doubt that Pitino and the Gopher staff have ground to make up on the Class of 2014, but they are getting right to work. Pitino has already met with Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis and Tyus Jones from the Class of 2014 and Jarvis Johnson, Alex Illikainen and Jake Wright from the Class of 2015. Pitino will also soon meet with Henry Ellenson, JP Macura and Amir Coffey, amongst others.

These meetings aren’t just meet and greets as Pitino is coming into them with specific video of how he will use each player and has really emphasized player development with each recruit. He has shown video clips of Louisville, Florida and his team at Florida International to show specific recruits how they will fit in his system.

“The player development piece of these meetings is what impressed me the most,” the high school coach said. “I’ve listened to many recruiting pitches over the years, and what Pitino is doing is smart because he’s not overselling his youth, but instead is going right into what these kids care about most: what can you do to make me better.”

Pitino and the staff have this weekend to evaluate players and then can’t hit the road to watch AAU ball until the July period.

This was an absolute high risk, high reward hire that I love; could elevate the program in a short amount of time like Musselman without (hopefully) the negative residuals. Will gladly eat my words in 2-3 years if I was wrong. The video aspect of the recruiting is awesome; you can tell that this staff will be hard workers.

@MNCoachPitino: 4th city in 4 days. Love talking to people about Gopher basketball!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom