Question about the history of the press in the Big Ten

rrjackIII

Reaction score
Have there been any Big Ten teams that press after every made basket? I can't remember any but others like that youngster Dr. Don just might.

Dr. Davis' Iowa teams did. In fact, they routinely substituted after made baskets to insert a short forced break and allow their players to get set up.

I assume you mean made free-throws? Subs aren't allowed on made baskets.

I assume you mean made free-throws? Subs aren't allowed on made baskets.

Sorry - thinking faster than I was typing. Yes, he subbed after made free throws. My brother in law always used to make fun of him always having a "drone" sitting on the sideline waiting to check in at the right moment.

When Davis started with G.Raveling's players plus his first few recruiting classes (BJ Armstrong, Marble, Street etc) they were very effective, but when he plugged in players who didn't fit...it was not good. If you press and you aren't disruptive, good teams will run it down your throat. When Iowa was bad, it looked like a lay up drill.

Brad Lohaus is comin' to yo haus.

At the time I thought that was the best Big 10 team I had ever seen, and I had had season tickets since 1972. Well, OK, they weren't better than Indiana 1976. But seriously their full court pressure was really intense and they did everything else, too. Lohaus, BJ, Marble, Lorenzen, Ed Horton, I forget who else, and then who was that 6th man, the guard who came off the bench that everybody loved to hate. In the end I don't think they won the Big 10 title that year, and I believe this is the team that lost to Nevada-Vegas in 3OT in the Elite 8. Still, that was a great team.

At the time I thought that was the best Big 10 team I had ever seen, and I had had season tickets since 1972. Well, OK, they weren't better than Indiana 1976. But seriously their full court pressure was really intense and they did everything else, too. Lohaus, BJ, Marble, Lorenzen, Ed Horton, I forget who else, and then who was that 6th man, the guard who came off the bench that everybody loved to hate. In the end I don't think they won the Big 10 title that year, and I believe this is the team that lost to Nevada-Vegas in 3OT in the Elite 8. Still, that was a great team.
Was that the Iowa team that had the kid who jacked up 3 pointers from 8 feet behind the 3 point line and often hit them? Davis did have some teams that gave us a lot of trouble over the years. But then the recruiting must have dried up because they got really bad...

Was that the Iowa team that had the kid who jacked up 3 pointers from 8 feet behind the 3 point line and often hit them? Davis did have some teams that gave us a lot of trouble over the years. But then the recruiting must have dried up because they got really bad...

You are talking about Chris Kingsbury. Man he took some long range shots.

then who was that 6th man, the guard who came off the bench that everybody loved to hate.

Jeff Moe

In the end I don't think they won the Big 10 title that year, and I believe this is the team that lost to Nevada-Vegas in 3OT in the Elite 8. Still, that was a great team.

Iowa lost that game in regulation, but the interesting nugget was they were ahead by 18 at halftime and let UNLV rally to win for the Final Four berth.

Dr. Tom was at Iowa for 13 years, got the NCAA nine times, including three Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight. That isn't too shabby. They haven't experienced anything close to that since they showed him the door.

Was that the Iowa team that had the kid who jacked up 3 pointers from 8 feet behind the 3 point line and often hit them?

Chris Kingsbury is the guy you're talking about. He was not on that Iowa Elite 8 team.

Davis did have some teams that gave us a lot of trouble over the years. But then the recruiting must have dried up because they got really bad...

They made the Sweet 16 his final year, were in the tourney in three of his final four years, finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in the Big Ten in his final four years, and won 23, 22, 20, and 20 games in those final four years. I wouldn't call that really bad. Of course, it wasn't good enough for the administration there, so they let his contract expire. And, then Alford had a few decent teams and a few bad ones, Lickliter had some downright awful teams, and McCaffery has them on the rise now.

Top Bottom