GopherSports: Quick Learner: Andre Hollins

BleedGopher

Reaction score
from the article:

Andre Hollins’s face has been all over the media this year, with pictures and videos of the sophomore guard frequently being flashed on popular sports blogs and television channels across the nation. A smiling Hollins was featured on the front page of espn.com in January after Minnesota upset the top-ranked Indiana Hoosiers at home, and on national TV after the Gophers’ NCAA Tournament win against UCLA.

Nationwide press notwithstanding, the Memphis, Tenn., native’s wide grin has found another place this year as well – on a massive banner in the university’s Hansen Hall. The placard is representative of the fact that the sophomore point guard exemplifies one of the core values of the college in addition to being an accomplished athlete– scholarship.

Hollins is currently in his second year at the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management, which consistently ranks among the top business programs in the nation. Despite all of the time the point guard puts into basketball, he still finds a way to excel in the classroom and is involved in student groups as well.

“I’m in the Carlson Mentorship Program and I try to meet with my mentor once a month or so,” Hollins said. “Once I figure out my major I’d like to get into a club that would get me around people that share the same interests as me. That would be nice for networking and connecting with people that have some of the same goals in mind.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042213aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

all things seem to point to the fact that andre is a great and smart kid with a very level head on his shoulders. very glad he chose to attend school here.

Haha I couldn't stand accounting, more power to him though.

Haha I couldn't stand accounting, more power to him though.

OT: Reminds me of when I had an accounting class at CSoM. Walk into the bathroom before my 11:00 class (in CSoM mind you) only to see a raggedy old, gray bearded bum pounding a huge can of Budweiser. After he finished he casually burped, crushed the can, tossed it in the trash and meandered out of the bathroom. The 3-4 of us in there were in awe of the events that had just transpired.

Boy I miss those days.

Accounting is easily the most boring part about getting a business degree. Everything else (marketing, operations management, risk management, econ, etc.) is much more interesting.

OT: Reminds me of when I had an accounting class at CSoM. Walk into the bathroom before my 11:00 class (in CSoM mind you) only to see a raggedy old, gray bearded bum pounding a huge can of Budweiser. After he finished he casually burped, crushed the can, tossed it in the trash and meandered out of the bathroom. The 3-4 of us in there were in awe of the events that had just transpired.

Boy I miss those days.

You sure that wasn't a classmate? Or professor?

from the article:

Andre Hollins’s face has been all over the media this year, with pictures and videos of the sophomore guard frequently being flashed on popular sports blogs and television channels across the nation. A smiling Hollins was featured on the front page of espn.com in January after Minnesota upset the top-ranked Indiana Hoosiers at home, and on national TV after the Gophers’ NCAA Tournament win against UCLA.

Nationwide press notwithstanding, the Memphis, Tenn., native’s wide grin has found another place this year as well – on a massive banner in the university’s Hansen Hall. The placard is representative of the fact that the sophomore point guard exemplifies one of the core values of the college in addition to being an accomplished athlete– scholarship.

Hollins is currently in his second year at the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management, which consistently ranks among the top business programs in the nation. Despite all of the time the point guard puts into basketball, he still finds a way to excel in the classroom and is involved in student groups as well.

“I’m in the Carlson Mentorship Program and I try to meet with my mentor once a month or so,” Hollins said. “Once I figure out my major I’d like to get into a club that would get me around people that share the same interests as me. That would be nice for networking and connecting with people that have some of the same goals in mind.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042213aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

He is a class act..

I remember when I heard that a four-star recruit with a high school GPA above 4 was coming to our team, I thought it was too good to be true. Well, I still think Andre is too good to be true. How lucky are we?

Dear Dre: Bring us a National Championship. Then run for Governor.

@GophersNow: Dre Hollins and Elliott Eliason will be in Italy as part of a global immersion program through the Carlson School. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@GophersNow: Dre Hollins and Elliott Eliason will be in Italy as part of a global immersion program through the Carlson School. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Probably a reward for doing well in their accounting classes, the most challenging in the SOM. Do well in those, and the sky is the limit. Nice job, guys!

Probably a reward for doing well in their accounting classes, the most challenging in the SOM. Do well in those, and the sky is the limit. Nice job, guys!

In order to graduate from CSOM now, it's a requirement to travel abroad. Good for them though.

Top Bottom