Coach Pitino's Scheduled Segment on the Sports Huddle - 4/21/133

DL65

Reaction score
I posted a similar message earlier this evening on the football forum.

I received a notice late this afternoon that Coach Kill will be on The Sports Huddle tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. and Coach Pitino will be on at 10:05 a.m. For the past few weeks Coach Kill has been interviewed at the 10:05 a.m. slot. Don't know if this change will be in place for a few weeks or it's a one time event.

In any case, I know many of you listen to the Sports Huddle live, and I thought you'd like to know that Coach Pitino will be on the Sports Huddle tomorrow morning.

Go Gophers!!

I try to listen to Coach Kill on Sports Huddle, but if he is on at the 9:30 slot, frikking Fargo (KFGO carries the Sports Huddle) radio carries Ron Gardenhire show. However, I will be able to listen to Coach Pitino at the ten o'clock segment.

Fargo is stupid. They care more about the Twins than they do the Gophers. (Let it flood. :) )

This is just one reason why I am addicted to your reports, DL. So thanks in advance.

I try to listen to Coach Kill on Sports Huddle, but if he is on at the 9:30 slot, frikking Fargo (KFGO carries the Sports Huddle) radio carries Ron Gardenhire show. However, I will be able to listen to Coach Pitino at the ten o'clock segment.

Fargo is stupid. They care more about the Twins than they do the Gophers. (Let it flood. :) )

This is just one reason why I am addicted to your reports, DL. So thanks in advance.

Doc, you can listen online you know.

http://www.streamingthe.net/WCCO-830-AM-Minneapolis---News/p/5344

Wow... I know Sid has been circling the drain for a while, but listening to him talking to Kill right now is just painful. Time to hang up the mic, Sid.

Hats off to Pitino for being a good sport when interviewing with Sid... Its so painful to listen to Sid nowadays.. and its purely a function of his age. Heck, he is old and thats great that he has such longevity, more power to him... but tough to listen to on the radio.

Wow..that was hard to listen to. Dave really had to cover on Sid's questions.

Wow... I know Sid has been circling the drain for a while, but listening to him talking to Kill right now is just painful. Time to hang up the mic, Sid.

Richard said something about how well coached the kids are here in AAU, and you don't see that everywhere. How the F would he know how well coached they are?

AAU coaches are typically among the worst at any level.

Richard said something about how well coached the kids are here in AAU, and you don't see that everywhere. How the F would he know how well coached they are?

Perhaps, then, he meant we have the best of the worst coaching in AAU! :cheer:

Possibly from watching them play? Maybe because Pulley's coach has experience with the younger Team USA squads?

DREAMER: Do you think that Richard should be brutally honest and allienate AAU coaches by caracterizing them as "inadequate" when they can potentially influence prospective future recruits? Do you really? Would that assuage your sensitivity to all that is fair and truthfull?

Get a grip!

So far, Pitino seems to be sticking to his "say no evil" game plan. Don't get me wrong, I understand why he does it, but let's face it - Pitino's interviews basically consist of Pitino mouthing platitudes and telling everyone how great MN is.

My question - is he doing this of his own volition, or has Teague told him to watch what he says?

I can only take so much of this...... MN is the greatest place to live.......MN has great HS BB........

I don't expect Pitino to come out and be brutally honest, but I wish he'd tone it down a notch.

So far, Pitino seems to be sticking to his "say no evil" game plan. Don't get me wrong, I understand why he does it, but let's face it - Pitino's interviews basically consist of Pitino mouthing platitudes and telling everyone how great MN is.

My question - is he doing this of his own volition, or has Teague told him to watch what he says?

I can only take so much of this...... MN is the greatest place to live.......MN has great HS BB........

I don't expect Pitino to come out and be brutally honest, but I wish he'd tone it down a notch.

You are a short, ornery disinformation agent!!!!

Can anyone give a summary of what he had to say?

Outside of the weather Pitino pretty much nailed that.

+19

DREAMER: Do you think that Richard should be brutally honest and allienate AAU coaches by caracterizing them as "inadequate" when they can potentially influence prospective future recruits? Do you really? Would that assuage your sensitivity to all that is fair and truthfull?

Get a grip!

You get a grip. I'm a fan of Richard so far, but he does lay it on a little think and my b.s. meter is almost broken.

Don't be so sensitive.

I listened to the entire interview. Pitino is very impressive. He speaks with great confidence and definitely has a plan. He cannot know everything about his returning players because of limited exposure nor can he say anything about potential recruits. His comments about Minnesota AAU were asked in reference to Sid mentioning Tubby Smith stating MN AAU was well coached. He is always respectful towards Tubby and my guess is the only AAU players from MN he knows anything about are the elites who are well coached . There is no reason for him to spend any time watching lower level AAU teams coached by dads. He is cordial and generous with compliments about Minnesota-what else would you expect? There are a limited number of things he can answer at this stage of the game.

Doc, do they have moving vans up there???

It's not unreasonable for him to call MN AAU teams well coached. He's seen teams from all over the nation play throughout his coaching career. He very easily could have his own basis for calling them well coached. Also include his incentive to get in with the local AAU coaches these comments seem fine.

Also include his incentive to get in with the local AAU coaches these comments seem fine.

No $hit sherlock that was my point. Do you think Richard says wow these AAU coaches really go above and beyond at teaching x's and o's, player development and skills/technique after just meeting some of them?

Richard is about one 'my chilli is hot' away from Brew territory in laying on the bs, but it doesn't matter if the on-court coaching is competent.

It's not unreasonable for him to call MN AAU teams well coached. He's seen teams from all over the nation play throughout his coaching career. He very easily could have his own basis for calling them well coached. Also include his incentive to get in with the local AAU coaches these comments seem fine.

I was gonna reply to hoopdreams, but this pretty much sums it up. Howard Pully is one of the better AAU programs in the country, I'm sure Pitino has recruited guys from Pully or guys who played them while at UF or Louisville, not too hard to form impressions while watching hundreds of AAU games over the years.

No $hit sherlock that was my point. Do you think Richard says wow these AAU coaches really go above and beyond at teaching x's and o's, player development and skills/technique after just meeting some of them?

Thanks for the snide remark. Point is I agree with you that he's obviously incentivized to say positive things about the local AAU coaches. The part we still differ on is that a coach can watch AAU teams and form their own judgements of what AAU programs they respect across the country as "well coached" teams. Howard Pulley, at a minimum is one of those programs for Pitino. I think you're over reacting to his comment in the interview.

Are we really criticizing Rich for calling MN AAU teams well coached? C'mon. You all can't be this stupid. Imagine Rich saying "you know I'm concerned about AAU up here because they are not well coached teams." Goodness, use your brains. What else can he say but that they are well coached?

Are we really criticizing Rich for calling MN AAU teams well coached? C'mon. You all can't be this stupid. Imagine Rich saying "you know I'm concerned about AAU up here because they are not well coached teams." Goodness, use your brains. What else can he say but that they are well coached?

You're saying my point in different words..

Top Bottom